Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sig 120-300 in stock

For those that are interested I've just received notification from Digital Rev that the new 120-300 's' lens is now in stock .
They have it of 2750 .

WEX and the others seem to still be pre order (also looked at bh which is the same) but I would expect them to have stock to ship very soon .

I'm really interested in the lens but as I have a very good OS version now I'm going to hold off for a while .

It will be interesting to see if anyone tests te new one against the old to see how well (better hopefully) it performs in things like AF speed etc . And also how usefull that new dock is with it

May 16, 2013 at 09:38 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #2 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Always good news when a new lens is released. I wonder if there are any reviews out there yet?

May 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Have wanted this lens for ages will get it later this year

Just got to decide whether to get the current version or the new one
At the moment its quite a lot more expensive than the current version hopefully the price will come down a bit
Ian do you know if Sigma UK will honour the warranty on a lens bought from Digital Rev?
edit just realised they are a grey importers so warranty will be with Digital Rev
as far as I can find out the new one has the same optics but better build

Edited on May 16, 2013 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2013 at 01:24 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #4 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Looking forward to the reviews of this. By that time I would imagine B+H will have them in stock.

May 16, 2013 at 01:29 PM
willis
• •
p.1 #5 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Sigma UK provides no warranty on grey imports but 3 years on legitimate UK lenses so it may be worth paying the extra. I imagine the price is likely to fall by at least a few hundred within the first 6 months. From what I've read the only functional differences in the new lens are the focus limiter, extra sealing and the docking thingy. I think optics and AF are otherwise unchanged.
It will be very interesting to see how reliable the new lens proves to be compared with the existing one which is quite failure-prone. Should be a good indicator of how meaningful Sigmas new emphasis on QC really is.

May 16, 2013 at 08:28 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Sig 120-300 in stock

^ AF and electronics got an upgrade, new barrel casing, and that POS hood's been replaced. Really, dude...
about the only thing that will resemble the last version (2 yr cycle is SHORT for a reissue) are the optics.

May 16, 2013 at 08:39 PM
willis
• •
p.1 #7 · Sig 120-300 in stock

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ AF and electronics got an upgrade, new barrel casing, and that POS hood's been replaced. Really, dude...
about the only thing that will resemble the last version (2 yr cycle is SHORT for a reissue) are the optics.

What's changed in the AF bar the limiter? Thought I'd read that it was otherwise the same. I agree the hood needed changing.

May 16, 2013 at 08:43 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Sig 120-300 in stock

In addition to the 3 AF focus ranges, you'll maintain AF lock when zooming. So either the motor or
electronics (perhaps both) got tweaked. Shot a 10K last year and there was a prototype at the finish
line. The guy wouldn't tell me squat afterwards but I watched him work it and figured out what it was.
He used a D4 and smiled at most of my technical questions. It's gonna be a keeper, unlike the last.

May 16, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Roger Cicala says the AF motors were most likely beefed up as they were a common source of failure in the older models.

I have high hopes for this lens to become the only affordable way to get a 168-420 f/4 zoom. I expect price will be below $3K within 6-12 months and less than 25% the price of the Canon 200-400 f/4

May 16, 2013 at 09:55 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Tempting, but a bit disappointed to hear nothing about optics. If they tightened up QC a bit so that the vast majority were the same as their good copies, that would be fantastic. Still, they seem to have warm colors that I'm not really a fan of. I hope we see good reviews, we need lenses like this to show Canon how it's done.

May 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Sig 120-300 in stock

And Nikon. They have no lens like this either.

EBH

May 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Thanks guys looks like I will be better off getting the new version
Will be getting it in september hopefully the price will drop a bit by then
At the moment the price at an official shop for the new lens is 3500 the current version is 1950

May 17, 2013 at 07:54 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Sig 120-300 in stock

LCPete wrote:
Thanks guys looks like I will be better off getting the new version
Will be getting it in september hopefully the price will drop a bit by then
At the moment the price at an official shop for the new lens is 3500 the current version is 1950

Yep I think WEX (and others) will drop the price when they have stock after they ship the pre orders (maybe they will wait a couple of months )
If it comes down to less than 2800 so it undercuts used mk1 300L prices then I'd be very interested . But I'd need to test the new and the old together to see if there is value in it . . If they've improved the AF speed and the limiter helps even more then it could be a great lens .

I think corndogs comment about the optics is very harsh . Mines very sharp (I bought mine used) . I'd say its as sharp as my 80-200L is , and I have no complaints on that lens at all (in fact I doubt id see any sharpness difference between either and a 70-200 IS mk2) .
It took me a little while trying to find the best MA setting for my 7D 120-300 combo (but then it took a while to dial the 80-200 as well) but now its done its a great lens .

May 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Sig 120-300 in stock

I think corndogs comment about the optics is very harsh
operator error (ok, BOTD...perhaps a bad copy) the optics are great

May 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Yep I think WEX (and others) will drop the price when they have stock after they ship the pre orders (maybe they will wait a couple of months )
If it comes down to less than 2800 so it undercuts used mk1 300L prices then I'd be very interested . But I'd need to test the new and the old together to see if there is value in it . . If they've improved the AF speed and the limiter helps even more then it could be a great lens .

I think corndogs comment about the optics is very
...Show more

Good to hear about the sharpness , at the moment I,ve got the 70-200F4 (non IS) and 100-400L but sometimes struggle in low light and really love shallow depth of field shots
if the Sigma is as sharp as my 70-200 will be made up as thats really good.
the 100-400 is very good at F6.3 and 7.1 but not quite as good as the 70-200 at 5.6

May 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Sig 120-300 in stock

I've owned both the first and second versions of this lens. It has excellent optics. I sold the first-gen OS version last year when I found a deal I couldn't refuse for an EF 300/2.8L IS (my third one - long story).

I might pick up the new OS version later this year, if it looks like I will shoot a lot of field sports in the fall. The EX 120-300/2.8 + 1.4x III on 1DIV and EF 70-200/2.8L IS II on 1DX would work pretty OK.

May 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #17 · Sig 120-300 in stock

This lens is quite tempting for me too, but I think I should save up for the 5D III instead

May 17, 2013 at 02:38 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #18 · Sig 120-300 in stock

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I have high hopes for this lens to become the only affordable way to get a 168-420 f/4 zoom.

Yes, and the only affordable way to get to 600/5.6 with AF and a lens that is officially serviced. I could see this being a really nice seller for a lot of uses, assuming it performs well both bare and with TCs.

May 17, 2013 at 04:35 PM
R3medy

p.1 #19 · Sig 120-300 in stock

This is why I don't even wanna hear about Nikon or Canon 300mm f/2.8 anymore:

clickski

May 17, 2013 at 04:44 PM
R3medy

p.1 #20 · Sig 120-300 in stock

corndog wrote:
Still, they seem to have warm colors that I'm not really a fan of..

Mythology much?

May 17, 2013 at 04:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password