Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

angryfish

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

I have been unsuccessful in importing EOS 1DX RAW images into my MacBook Pro (OS10.5.8). iPhoto, Digital Photo Professional and a straight dump into a file have all yielded "Unreadable Files The following file could not be imported (The file is an unrecognized format)". Anyone

I am using a SanDisk Extreme compact flash
60MB/s
UDMA
32GB

May 16, 2013 at 03:15 AM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

As for iPhoto, I am fairly certain the newest Apple raw support framework requires 10.6.x. So you're out of luck there.

As for DPP, you need to install the newest version that came with your camera, or download it from the 'net. Chances are you're using something from an earlier installation / camera.

May 16, 2013 at 03:46 AM
angryfish

p.1 #3 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

So, in a nutshell, my 1DX RAW images won't be read/importable with my current software and OS (which does work with RAW files from my 7D). Is there a band aid solution (software that is compatible with OS 10.5.8) so I can clear my CF cards?

May 16, 2013 at 05:12 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

You can always just copy the files off your cards into a folder on your MBP to clear your cards, but you won't be able to do anything with them. Is there any reason for not being at least at 10.6.8 if you still need Rosetta. At least there, you could run CaptureOne or LR/ACR for processing.

May 16, 2013 at 07:19 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #5 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

Peter Figen wrote:
You can always just copy the files off your cards into a folder on your MBP to clear your cards, but you won't be able to do anything with them. Is there any reason for not being at least at 10.6.8 if you still need Rosetta. At least there, you could run CaptureOne or LR/ACR for processing.

Lightroom 4 requires Mac OS X v10.6.8 and the upcoming LR5 needs 10.7. Time to consider an OS upgrade, methinks.

May 16, 2013 at 08:35 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

Adobe's DNG converter should allow you to convert the 1DX's CR2 files to DNG and use them in older software... however, there's no guarantee you'll get optimum image quality from this workaround.

I'm running 10.6.8 on my main workstation and the OS does not render the 1DX RAW files, however, the apps I work with (Photo Mechanic and Lightroom 4) do. At the least it looks like an OS update is in order. I will see how long I can hold out with LR4 since I want to keep Rosetta support for CS2, which does the job for me...

May 16, 2013 at 08:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

angryfish wrote:
So, in a nutshell, my 1DX RAW images won't be read/importable with my current software and OS (which does work with RAW files from my 7D). Is there a band aid solution (software that is compatible with OS 10.5.8) so I can clear my CF cards?

Yeah as stan said install the version of DPP that supports your camera .
How anyone can think that not upto date software can support raw files from cameras that came out after the software still is beyond me . Just because the file is .cr2 does not mean its the same as any other .cr2 . Infact using your 7D as an example . There have been at least 6 bodies (I did a quick count in my head) that use the 'same' 18mp sensor . But if your raw software only had support for the 7D you could not open a file from the 60D or any of the later bodies .

As mentioned there is te free DNG converter as well . But with all the stuff going on with adobe lately I'm not inclined to use DNG . If you do then keep the .cr2 as well

May 16, 2013 at 09:48 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #8 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

When was the last time you upgraded your operating system??

Go to the drop down menu in the Apple on the left.

The second choice is "Software Updates".

Do it.

May 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

martines34 wrote:
When was the last time you upgraded your operating system??

Go to the drop down menu in the Apple on the left.

The second choice is "Software Updates".

Do it.

That won't get him from 10.5.x to 10.6.x or newer.

May 16, 2013 at 08:32 PM
angryfish

p.1 #10 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

You are correct stanj.
I fear that it is time for a new machine.

May 17, 2013 at 02:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · EOS 1DX "Unrecognized File" Error

You don't need a new machine unless you're running hardware that is incompatible with 10.7. As mentioned, you can still get by with 10.6.8, just the OS won't render previews for the CR2 files, i.e in the Finder or, I guess, with Apple's apps compatible with that vintage of OS.

But then, maybe a new machine will give you something that will better handle the larger file sizes...

May 17, 2013 at 04:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password