Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Engagement of the season

bwield
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Engagement of the season

First engagement session of the season - and while the couple was very easy to work with I am not really happy with the results. Overall I think the session was a bit stiff and lacked variety.
Would like to hear others thoughts on this set - things to watch for and improve moving forward.

Thanks!
(Also, picture 1 and 3 are ones I would not usually take - but the couple had just completed their house and were very proud of the work they had done.)

May 15, 2013 at 04:36 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Engagement of the season

Some more

May 15, 2013 at 04:38 PM
bwield
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Engagement of the season

Lastly

May 15, 2013 at 04:39 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Engagement of the season

if you number your pics, it makes it easier for us to comment on specific pics. You say you weren't happy with the results, and it felt stiff and lacked variety.

For me, there's only three real keepers here -- but those three are rock solid for me. They are the very last three pics in the whole set. The first and second (the b&w one) of those three are just stellar, for me.

You say you wouldn't normally shoot 1 and 3, and I say, "Are you kidding?" Huge potential with both of those shots. For No. 1, I would have moved to the middle and made it a straight-on shot. (Not everyone would do this.) This would eliminate the glare on the picture above them. Next, give your flash off-camera. In this case, i probably would have kept it exactly where you originally shot from, and then set the flash to fill two steps under-explosed. You've got some great light coming in from those two doors/windows, use it!

As for No. 3, I really really like your setup here, and I even like how the light work even with the flash on your camera (though I would clone the flash out of the TV screen!). But their pose... there's no connection there, there's no intimacy, they are just two people sitting on an ottoman. Get that fake flower vase out of the picture, or at least so it's not blocking them, and then tell them to get sexy with her in front of him. So many different things you can do there in this setup, I'd love to see you do a re-shoot just for this shot alone.

Shot on the stairs looking down. Holy cow, so much potential here too! Right now, you're shooting down on the tops of their lovely heads. First, I would stage the shot, and adios the table and plant in the lower-right corner of the pic, and then possibly adios that black cabinet or whatever in the lower-left. That would really clean up the clutter in this picture, and you'd be surprised at how little things like that impact a shot. Slow down. Become an art director/set designer before you are a photographer. Now the couple. Lots of choices here, from them laying down on the stairs, to an intimate embrace with her looking up, eyes open or closed. As for lighting, I'd get a couple shots like this, and then set up for some more dramatic lighting.

The back of their heads looking out their balcony. I think you/they wanted a shot of their view. You can do this without shooting the backs of their heads.

I like the B&W closeup of him behind her, her turning toward him a bit -- but he's too dark. You lost too much light on him. I love the light on her, nice and dramatic.

B&W shot of them sitting on porch, him muzzling her neck. Problem with this shot IMO is that they're both faced away from you. We lose him completely, so we can't see he's really being intimate. Shoot from the other direction, or turn them to face you, and it gets better.

Shot of them on their bikes in front of house. I get it. They're on their favorite toys in front of a house they love. But find a way to get them connected in the shot. She's blocked by him, not so good. Then get another shot of them with their bikes wide open, getting that sweek bokeh you got on the the last few shots.

So you've got some nice shots here, and others with serious potential. Nice job! Overall, I'd say get that flash off your camera, and shoot more of your shots wide open (2.8). Look forward to seeing more from you.

Ron

May 15, 2013 at 08:34 PM

bwield
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Engagement of the season

Thanks for the very in depth review Ron. Really appreciate it.

I will certainly be taking your advice with my upcoming sessions

May 19, 2013 at 07:21 PM
ahhhlawn

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Engagement of the season

Nice house to shoot at! I like your close up shots!

May 20, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Engagement of the season

It's not too late to add numbers to the pics. It will encourage specific comments on the other photos.

Agree with Ron on the last 3.

May 20, 2013 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password