FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Your metering and shooting mode

derek10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your metering and shooting mode

I've been noticing that a lot of pro photographers vary in settings that they choose for photographing weddings. Some shoot in M, some in A, not sure about P, S. In addition metering modes also vary.

I wanted to get an idea as to what most of you wedding photographers use for metering mode as well as shooting mode. Please explain why you shoot in such settings.

May 15, 2013 at 09:04 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your metering and shooting mode

I don't have time to explain the basics but can just share modes:

Outdoor. Av w/exp. comp, M with non moving subjects or controllable portraits, AWB, Single shot focus and recompose back button. On cam flash ETTL - 2/3rds for fills.

Indoor. M with ETTL/M On -board flash. Custom. K and AWB. If using available light: Av/M High ISO's w/exp. comp. OCF via Radio triggers. Small venues 1-2 speedlights; big - AB1600 AC Power. Direct or ceiling bounce depends on the effect.

Indoor formals: AB1600 bounce, or large umbrella close to camera axle to avoid cross shadow. Max ISO is 400. F stops from f/4 - 5.6 - 8 (Otherwise I shoot wide open (most glass is 2.8))

Processional i switch to AI Servo otherwise single shot/multi frame 5dII is not fast on FPS anyways. For some fast/sport FPS I prefer 7d.

Reception: A lot of M/M flash.

Metering mode almost always stays "centerwight"..

Hope it helps.

Maks

Edited on May 15, 2013 at 09:35 AM · View previous versions

May 15, 2013 at 09:16 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your metering and shooting mode

I shoot 90% in A mode with a combination of spot metering lock. So for scenes I know will work in matrix, I can just shoot and it's always set in matrix. If I want to isolate he exposure more accurately (because of what the scene presents) I will still have it set in matrix, but one press of the AEL button will trigger it to spot metering and to LOCK that exposure - if needed, I can then move aperture and ISO.

I mainly shoot like this as it gives me the control I want whilst being really quick and efficient.

Only really if I'm doing stupid dance photos will I go into fully manual mode for OCF.

Simple

May 15, 2013 at 09:25 AM
derek10

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your metering and shooting mode

ricardovaste wrote:
but one press of the AEL button will trigger it to spot metering and to LOCK that exposure

Simple

Can you expand on this? I'm curious to how you set your camera to go from Matrix metering to spot via AEL button
thanks

May 15, 2013 at 09:58 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your metering and shooting mode

The more experienced I become, the more I prefer manual exposure and manual flash power over "auto".

May 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your metering and shooting mode

Manual exposure about 98% of the time. Manual off-camera flash, and as a fill, iTTL or manual power on-camera bounce flash (the on-camera bounce is in iTTL at -1 to -2 stops more often than not).

May 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your metering and shooting mode

I use Av about 95% of time, including when I shoot flash because it's simple, it's easy to set up, and I don't have to think about settings. I just look at the scene and adjust exposure compensation accordingly and shoot.

Outdoors w/natural light: Av w/exposure comp, matrix metering

Indoors w/natural light: Av w/exposure comp, matrix metering

Indoors w/bounced flash: Av w/exposure comp, ETTL, matrix metering

Reception w/bounced flash + OCF: Av w/exposure comp, ETTL, matrix metering, OCF in manual

May 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your metering and shooting mode

Every wedding day is different, and each offers different situations and experiences. Some of those situations allow for Av with consistent results. Some don't. Sometimes, Manual is the smart choice.

I can't break it down to a ration because of these differences, but those are the two modes I use most. Some days I'll shoot 50/50, some 90/10, and some 10/90.

The chosen mode should depend on the shot and results you wish to achieve. Av might make that a little easier or faster sometimes.

May 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your metering and shooting mode

i shoot manual for 98% of the day. i use spot metering and generally go +1 to +2 from skintone.

obviously, there is no right or wrong when it comes to the OPs question, but I'm surprised to see that people are shooting AV as frequently. Doesnt that lead to inconsistent exposures which leads to more time editing?

May 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your metering and shooting mode

I use Manual exposure and the overall metering (evaluative?) 100% of the time. Never spot metering or AV.

- trr

May 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your metering and shooting mode

Manual mode 90% of the time.
The other is Av mode for when I know there is a huge swing - like indoor ceremony - dark church to sunny outside in a matter of seconds.

If i choose Av for a particular shooting - I am riding the compensation +3/4 to 1 stop.

Exposure is evaluative. But both cameras I use have spot weighted.

AF: spot with single shot. except the entrances or exits I switch to AI Servo.

Flash - on camera (ETTL) bounce with exp comp +1/2 - +1 stop.
I have run into situations where i will turn the on camera flash to manual.
OCF - Manual.

May 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your metering and shooting mode

canerino wrote:
obviously, there is no right or wrong when it comes to the OPs question, but I'm surprised to see that people are shooting AV as frequently. Doesnt that lead to inconsistent exposures which leads to more time editing?

Not at all, if you pay attention to your environment and changing light. I mostly use Av during prep when there's very little changes in light. That's not to say you aren't right about consistency in post. You are dead right about that. Still, I find with experience it's minimal differences.

I think I'm actually more surprised by your +1 +2 technique. That seems a bit much. 2/3rds is about as much as I go when spot metering.

May 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your metering and shooting mode

Manual 100% of the time. I'd say 50-60% of my images are spot on . 20-30% need a very small bump in exposure, either up or down (maybe +/- 1/3) and there are always a few that need a full stop of adjustment.

But I haven't had an image that I couldn't salvage in a long time.

Shooting manual definitely saves me a TON of time in post.

May 15, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your metering and shooting mode

manual camera + manual flash 100% of the time
always spot meter

May 15, 2013 at 03:19 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your metering and shooting mode

Maual v/s Av is what I see emerging from thread, but if light is mostly constant and not changing much when you are indoor (except reception), does it matter Manual v/s Av because once you set your exposure for certain light condition you are going to stay there as long as light is not changing and you keep watch over light condition. For outdoors it may matter as chances of light changing outdoor are higher but still once you set certain exposure and as long as you dont get drastic change in light will it matter M v/s Av ?

May 15, 2013 at 03:22 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your metering and shooting mode

Depended on the camera. I thought the metering (especially flash) on the 5D3 was so awful that I felt I spent more time in spot or manual with it.

May 15, 2013 at 05:18 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your metering and shooting mode

morganb4 wrote:
Depended on the camera. I thought the metering (especially flash) on the 5D3 was so awful that I felt I spent more time in spot or manual with it.

It's not just the 5DIII. I've been using canon ETTL for the past 10 years and I've never been completely happy with it.

May 15, 2013 at 05:23 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your metering and shooting mode

canerino wrote:

Nope. I'm in complete control of exposure with spot metering lock.

May 15, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your metering and shooting mode

Controlled situations: manual, matrix or incident meter
Uncontrolled: aperture priority with autoISO, matrix
With any flash, always manual

May 15, 2013 at 05:32 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your metering and shooting mode

derek10 wrote:
Can you expand on this? I'm curious to how you set your camera to go from Matrix metering to spot via AEL button
thanks

Difficult to expand further without showing you this face-to-face. Just picture your camera in regular Aperture Priority mode and matrix. You'll get an average, which may work for some scenes (knowing how your meter reacts is essential of course). I have a circle in the VF which indicates the spot metering area, so I know where I'm pointing it. With it in matrix, if I press the AEL button on the back of my camera it will instantly go to spot metering and lock that reading. This gives me the control associated with fully manual, but the speed and flexibility of aperture priority (meaning one turn can change aperture, rather than aperture then shutter adjustment. And I can change ISO with everything else responding automatically around my locked exposure).

May 15, 2013 at 05:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.