Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

College Seniors

Clayton G
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · College Seniors

This is my third go at this now, so I'm getting a bit more comfortable but always looking for feedback. I've reached a place where I think the images are worth something, and the recipient is happy, but I'm still not too happy with them. Here are just some from the shoot. Thanks for looking.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

May 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · College Seniors

#2 - I'd compose to include the cut off leg.

#3 I don't like the sun peeking over his head - a distraction.

#5. Very shallow DOF here. Too shallow for me. Blurry nose, chin and ears.

May 15, 2013 at 06:48 AM
Yudhi
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · College Seniors

#4 & 5 is my favourite...nice set

May 15, 2013 at 08:41 AM
bbourizk
• • •
p.1 #4 · College Seniors

Hey mate,
A couple of little things for you.

In 1 I would have posed him on the steps behind him and shoot into the darkness behind him. i bet you would have got some beautiful light, as is that bright sun on the right of the image is taking me away from him.

As Jim said I would have liked to see his leg in 2.

3 is cool but that sunburst is very distracting.

In 4 was it possible to have him either side of that empty sky behind him?, I know it's not possible sometimes but it's really competing with him again. shooting like that isn't easy. I would have used some fill flash off camera here.

5 is a shot I do with little kids shooting down on them it's a cool shot, but not for adults for me.

Hope to see more from you.

Regards
Bud

May 15, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Clayton G
• •
p.1 #5 · College Seniors

Thanks for the comments everyone. I can see where everyone is coming from. It is hard to balance the visual appeal of golden hour and the focus of the subject for me.

1) The light was super washed out but I really should have turned around to see what it would have looked like filling in from behind... doh!
2) Leg wasn't a big issue for me, a wider crop would have taken away from the shot for me. Probably a better position of the leg would help.
3) For the sunburst perhaps it would be better if I had is head blocking the sun entirely?
4) It was tough to move around so this was the best comp I saw at the time. I'm sure I could have done something more/better
5) Saw a great wedding photog do this shot with every guest at the wedding, thought it was a fun one.

May 15, 2013 at 04:06 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #6 · College Seniors

good set but I agree the sun and flair in some could be distracting

May 15, 2013 at 05:30 PM

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · College Seniors

Clayton G wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. I can see where everyone is coming from. It is hard to balance the visual appeal of golden hour and the focus of the subject for me.
..text deleted...
5) Saw a great wedding photog do this shot with every guest at the wedding, thought it was a fun one.

OK, the wedding photog did it. But what do you think of he blurry chin, nose and ears? If these were in focus, would it ruin the shot? Is it important to blur the background behind him?

Just trying to get you thinking here.

May 15, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Clayton G
• •
p.1 #8 · College Seniors

^ I know where you're coming from. I still think it's a fun way to show a perspective that most people don't really ever see. Appreciate your input and agree that it's not a great shot. I guess I liked the detail that was captured in the skin... I'm not really sure how to get that in shots further away.

May 15, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · College Seniors

Clayton G wrote:
^ I know where you're coming from. I still think it's a fun way to show a perspective that most people don't really ever see. Appreciate your input and agree that it's not a great shot. I guess I liked the detail that was captured in the skin... I'm not really sure how to get that in shots further away.

Not saying its not a great shot. Just saying that the SAME shot with more DOF to get the nose and chin in focus would look better. Select f5.6, for example. Better, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

May 16, 2013 at 09:02 AM
jannaweiss
• •
p.1 #10 · College Seniors

I think these are great, and a little more attention paid to your white balance and they would be even better. 3 is very pink, 2 and 5 could be warmed up a bit.

May 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Clayton G
• •
p.1 #11 · College Seniors

^ My problem is that I spent A LOT of time on color. I don't know how to get better at seeing it and using it. More practice I suppose. I see where you are coming from. I will I say I liked 2 a bit cooler though.

Thanks for pointing that out.

May 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password