Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Family Session with Adult Children

ConstellationX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Family Session with Adult Children

I had a family session this evening. I've never shot a family with just adult children. I must say, it was really a blast and SO much easier than photographing small children. Everyone listened and did as they were told, and held still. HUGE improvement over working with small children (as I have mostly done in the past).

Any CC is welcome

May 14, 2013 at 05:27 AM
LandoCol
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Family Session with Adult Children

Very nice.

May 14, 2013 at 03:19 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Family Session with Adult Children

Hey mate.
Working with adults can be easier but doesn't get you those cute pics as with little ones.
Looks like you got yourself a nice little location.

Here's how I would have shot it
Shot 1
In the first the sky is competing with your subjects Always try to avoid bright sky behind the person your shooting. In this shot you would have been better off moving to your left and having that dark patch of trees/foliage behind them. Also for a shot like this a longer focal length would have helped a lot.

I like that little slope of green grass on camera right .

Shot 2.

Sorry nothing about this one I like. They are getting lot in the trees. You would have been better off using that Bench and frame them against that building in the back. Maybe use a gap in the trees.

Shot 4.
A longer focal length would have helped you blur those trees more. i like the way you posed them all at an angle to a camera. Again though there's too much competing with them.

A couple of other little things to consider is choice of clothing. When I get asked what do we wear I tell people not white. i personally want my subjects faces to be bright and visible, wack a bright top as in these images and it gets hard for the faces to come through. Sometimes what people wear is out of our control.

Regards
Bud

May 14, 2013 at 03:23 PM
ConstellationX

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Family Session with Adult Children

bbourizk wrote:
Hey mate.
Working with adults can be easier but doesn't get you those cute pics as with little ones.
Looks like you got yourself a nice little location.

Here's how I would have shot it
Shot 1
In the first the sky is competing with your subjects Always try to avoid bright sky behind the person your shooting. In this shot you would have been better off moving to your left and having that dark patch of trees/foliage behind them. Also for a shot like this a longer focal length would have helped a lot.

I like that little slope of green grass on camera
...Show more

Thank you for the feedback. I did consult with them on clothing prior to the appointment. They had originally wanted to all wear white shirts with jeans, but I urged them to try and 'coordinate' rather than match. I linked them to a blog post I've written to help clients decide upon clothing. In the blog post it clarifies also that white is very hard to photograph. They still chose this combination. In post processing, I did end up lowering the highlights to bring more detail back in to the white shirts. Honestly, I'm just glad they opted for coordination rather than matching.

the second image was their idea I thought it was fun. Definitely not a picture I would recommend they blow up for their mantel, as it shows no relationship or emotion between the family members.

When you say a longer focal length…and I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question…do you mean a different lens? I shot with my 50mm 1.8 lens. Do you mean I should have shot with an 85mm or longer?

May 14, 2013 at 04:35 PM

ConstellationX

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Family Session with Adult Children

LandoCol wrote:
Very nice.

Thank you very much!

May 14, 2013 at 04:35 PM
rcheliphotog
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Family Session with Adult Children

ConstellationX wrote:
When you say a longer focal length…and I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question…do you mean a different lens? I shot with my 50mm 1.8 lens. Do you mean I should have shot with an 85mm or longer?

The focal length of a lens determines the field of view... so yes, a different lens. For example, a 135mm lens would have produced more background diffusion, which in turn, means less distraction.

May 15, 2013 at 06:44 AM
ConstellationX

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Family Session with Adult Children

rcheliphotog wrote:
The focal length of a lens determines the field of view... so yes, a different lens. For example, a 135mm lens would have produced more background diffusion, which in turn, means less distraction.

thank you for clarifying for me

The next two lenses I want are the 85 prime, and the 17-50mm. I haven't been able to decide which to go with!

May 17, 2013 at 05:17 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password