Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Roseate Spoonbill

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Roseate Spoonbill

Probably the last of the birds for awhile.
This one falls in the category of "I finally got a shot of...". I know the composition is lacking. But do you have suggestions on post-processing?
Image is cropped to remove additional distracting twigs.
Taken with my 7D on the pro's super-tele + teleconverter shooting from about 100-150 feet away I would estimate.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 7D    EF600mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x lens    840mm    f/7.1    1/2000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 14, 2013 at 01:29 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Roseate Spoonbill

Not much really ... just a few selective tweaks @ wb/usm/multiply/slight crop.

The comp seems fine with framing/leading lines helping take us to subject ... who appears to be on the hunt rather than posing.

May 14, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Roseate Spoonbill

Very nice Scott, love the colors and dark background.

At first I thought about removing the small branches, but without given the flow of the lines, I think the bird wants to topple down out of the frame...so, those branches help anchor the image. Perhaps over-analysis?

Marvelous results from a productive trip!

Regards,

Bob

May 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Roseate Spoonbill

Over-analysis ... this crowd ... surely not.

Actually, I had the same perspective at the smaller branches "pushing us back up" as the subject leads us downward. In that regard, they serve the composition to keep us from running out of the frame. This is probably one of my fav's from the series.

May 14, 2013 at 01:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Roseate Spoonbill

Bob Jarman wrote:
Very nice Scott, love the colors and dark background.

At first I thought about removing the small branches, but without given the flow of the lines, I think the bird wants to topple down out of the frame...so, those branches help anchor the image. Perhaps over-analysis?

Marvelous results from a productive trip!

Regards,

Bob

well thanks so much!
Interesting thought about the bottom branches. I wanted to keep some context and not just hanging in air. What I dont like about the composition is the lack of action or more implied interaction
Scott

May 14, 2013 at 08:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Roseate Spoonbill

RustyBug wrote:
Over-analysis ... this crowd ... surely not.

Actually, I had the same perspective at the smaller branches "pushing us back up" as the subject leads us downward. In that regard, they serve the composition to keep us from running out of the frame. This is probably one of my fav's from the series.

So its interesting to have you confirm Bob's thoughts about the branches.
Debated various crops.
I am pleasantly surprised that this is one of your fav's. But overly self-critical analysis is one of my traits.
I do love the oddness of this bird and have tried, in vain, to spot one, then capture an image for the last couple of years of Florida trips. They are not that common and have always been afar, except one occasion in Delray. And there the light was terrible, the backgrounds terrible, etc etc.

Doesnt hurt to hook up to a $7000+ rig.
And you should see the prices on the new Canon 200-400 +1.4, the old and the new 500 f4
Both birder's dreams.

Scott

May 14, 2013 at 08:33 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Roseate Spoonbill

Maybe some of the usual, selective darkening, selective mid-tone bump, a bit of asymmetric vignette, lighten the eye, remove some more twiggage, and perhaps some cropping?

May 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password