Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

AaronNegro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

I know it is not only about Canon P&S but I guess the improvement is quite good.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/13/photo-retrospective-shows-off-iphone-camera-quality-evolution

I know IQ is just not as good yet, however and despite the size of their sensors the phones are getting quickly in the snapshot land with some remarkable results these days.

Have any of you replaced your preferred P&S for just the phone already? Is Canon Going to bite in this?

May 13, 2013 at 10:33 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

To bring it on

May 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

My iphone is practically readily available all the time and yes, I am using it and I am pretty happy with the result coming from it considering that its main function is as a phone.

May 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

My phone already has replaced a p&s, still have one but it's rarely used

May 13, 2013 at 11:35 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

Given that most people aren't really interested in anything more then Facebook resolution it's an awfully tough combination to beat. A small, light device that you carry with you all the time. With a photo app you can do quick edits and post to FB in seconds. Instant gratification and feedback.

May 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

AaronNegro wrote:
I know it is not only about Canon P&S but I guess the improvement is quite good.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/13/photo-retrospective-shows-off-iphone-camera-quality-evolution

I know IQ is just not as good yet, however and despite the size of their sensors the phones are getting quickly in the snapshot land with some remarkable results these days.

Have any of you replaced your preferred P&S for just the phone already? Is Canon Going to bite in this?

You think there will be Canon cell phones?

EBH

May 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

it's already there.....

May 14, 2013 at 03:33 AM
orcastu

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

Agreed it already has. The only other camera beside my phone and slr would be something like a Canon 50SX for reach.

May 14, 2013 at 03:47 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

Haven't owned a point and shoot in ten years. Rarely use my phone for much more than casual photos to send to friends/post to facebook. I generally try to bring an SLR with me when I am out just because I enjoy taking photos.

May 14, 2013 at 03:47 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

Yes I replaced my p&s a long time ago with the first iPhone. Not only did it take passable pictures by most standards it had the added bonus of something I carry with me anyway so one less thing to lug around is a huge plus in my book. I was debating over a nex or other mirror less recently but after putting the latest iPhone 5 through its paces I see no reason to spend any more money on low to mid range camera gear. At this point if its important I bring my 5diii, if not I decide whether I care to lug that around if not the iPhone will more than likely satisfy.

May 14, 2013 at 03:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

AGeoJO wrote:
My iphone is practically readily available all the time and yes, I am using it and I am pretty happy with the result coming from it considering that its main function is as a phone.

I've never thought of my iPhone as a phone but, by gum it is a phone! I sure have a lot of rollover minutes.I rarely use the phone features but the iPod, email, text, games, Safari, FB, GPS/maps, features are why I keep it around. It certainly caused the retirement of my iPod Classic. However can't say I'm too impressed with the camera so my point 'n shoot (Olympus E-P3/pancake) keeps on keeping on, with me 24/7. Now if the iPhone 6 came with an EVF and F2.0 lens that might be the end of the Oly.

May 14, 2013 at 03:57 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

The lens of the iPhone (and probably every other phone) scratches like crazy. My iPhone 5 had to be replaced due to turds on the sensor - and the new one has the same problem by now (it seems like a systemic issue).

At the end of the day, the images that it creates are mushy, poor white balance, and low dynamic range. It's barely good enough to document a car accident. Until they fix that, I will keep my 3 DSLRs and the RX100.

May 14, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

I agree...since I got my RX100 my D700 with high end glass, like an aging superstar, has become a role player coming off the bench..at least for most still photos...but there's just some stuff that the Sony just can't compete with the Nikon for

May 14, 2013 at 04:12 AM
danb121
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

I remember seeing an article about this in a UK newspaper last year... the P&S market is on it's knees because the people who generally brought P&S for family days out and holidays etc are just using their phones instead.

May 14, 2013 at 07:35 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

Iphone 4S camera is decent P & S quality, has "HDR" and a panorama function (plus additional apps). Not bad for those who like those things. I had considered buying a P & S to carry everyday, until I got the iphone.

I haven't managed to scratch the lens yet

May 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

I'm glad I stayed with my iPhone 4S. I've never had any turds on my sensor.

May 14, 2013 at 04:28 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

EB-1 wrote:
You think there will be Canon cell phones?

EBH

Maybe not phones but what about a branded EOS phone?

May 14, 2013 at 04:52 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

In my case I must be honest and say I'm waiting for the Nokia phone pureview with windows OS.

Could not bare simbian.

I now have a Galaxy SII and the camera is not up to my standar, I need less noise even in good light.

May 14, 2013 at 04:54 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

stanj wrote:
The lens of the iPhone (and probably every other phone) scratches like crazy. My iPhone 5 had to be replaced due to turds on the sensor - and the new one has the same problem by now (it seems like a systemic issue).

At the end of the day, the images that it creates are mushy, poor white balance, and low dynamic range. It's barely good enough to document a car accident. Until they fix that, I will keep my 3 DSLRs and the RX100.

Yes, but that has become the new standard for "acceptable" by the masses. 95% of the images posted on FB, pinterest, whatever look horrible and are severly flawed. But, since that's what people are becoming accustomed to, it doesn't really matter - that and the fact that everything is small webshots anyway

May 14, 2013 at 04:58 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Will the phones be the next pocket cam?

timbop wrote:
Yes, but that has become the new standard for "acceptable" by the masses. 95% of the images posted on FB, pinterest, whatever look horrible and are severly flawed. But, since that's what people are becoming accustomed to, it doesn't really matter - that and the fact that everything is small webshots anyway

Yes, and that is the shame of it all. Rather than improving our photos, technology has been eroding away at our standards. It is a convenience world we live in whether it is McDonalds drive through or quick iPhone snapshot...our standards have been compromised.

May 14, 2013 at 05:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password