Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

I am sure this is somewhere in the manual, would someone be kind enough to tell me how do I control the strength of the slave flash once set up wireless. The master is set to not fire, I only use master to trigger the slave but would like to control the strength of the space from master. I was only able to change the strength on slave.

I have 2 canon 600's.

Thank u in advance.

May 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Danny Michael

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

I've reread your message several times and can't understand what it is you are actually asking. Any chance of making another attempt of explaining what it is you want to do?

May 11, 2013 at 01:14 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

Thank u for asking for clarity. I want to be able to control the slave from the master once I set them up in wireless mode. I think I have to assign a group to the slave and then from
There be Able to control it. I wanna control the output of the slave from the master. I don't wanna have to go to the slave and adjust the output if I don't have to.

May 11, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

Take a look at pages 61-64 in the Manual and see if this helps.

May 11, 2013 at 02:47 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

skasol wrote:
...I want to be able to control the slave from the master once I set them up in wireless mode. I think I have to assign a group to the slave... I wanna control the output of the slave from the master. I don't wanna have to go to the slave and adjust the output if I don't have to.

You are right in not wanting to have to go to the slave to adjust its power; that's the whole point of having full wireless control versus just sync triggering.

You are correct that you need to assign a group for the Slave (and make sure its on the same channel as the Master), but you may not need to make power changes on the Master if you have a newer camera. Instead, you use the camera's Flash Control Menu.

May 11, 2013 at 03:37 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

Thank u all for your help. I have newer cameras 5dIII and 1dx I am assuming I should be able to make the slave power adjustments in the menu? I now see my mistake was not assigning a group to my slave. I thought if I adjusted the master even though I have it set to not fire that it would automatically adjust the power output to my slave but that wasn't the case. I adjusted the master and the slave stayed the same so I had to adjust the slave manually today as I was shooting. Which It was annoying. But I think now if I assign a group to the slave then I should be able to select that assigned group from master and adjust power? Correct?

May 11, 2013 at 03:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

skasol wrote:
...I think now if I assign a group to the slave then I should be able to select that assigned group from master and adjust power? Correct?

Correct; you can adjust the assigned Group from the Master's menu or the camera's menu.

I like the camera's menus better, but I'm using a 580EX II as Master. Maybe the 600EX-RT has better menus.

May 11, 2013 at 03:47 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

Yeah I don't mind it but I should try the camera menu as its just right in front me. So I was wrong just changing output on master without setting a group won't change power on slave right? Not even in ettl mode?

May 11, 2013 at 03:52 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

skasol wrote:
...changing output on master without setting a group won't change power on slave right? Not even in ettl mode?

Correct; the system has to know which light you're trying to adjust. If you don't assign a group to the slave the system won't talk to it. You might as well leave it in the bag.

May 11, 2013 at 03:55 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

Perfect. Got it. Thank u.

Would I be able to select group thru the camera menu LCD?

Thank u all for your help.

May 11, 2013 at 04:18 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

skasol wrote:
...Would I be able to select group thru the camera menu LCD?

Yes; you set the group on the flash itself, and then once set you can select and control the group from the master via either the on-Speedlite menu or the on-camera menu.

The on-camera menu will change depending on mode. For example, in ETTL mode you'll be offered a choice of ratios, and in manual mode (which I often use for formal portraits) you'll be offered a choice of power levels for each group; 1/1 (Full power) 1/2, 1/4, etc. in 1/2 or 1/3 stop increments depending on set-up.

May 12, 2013 at 04:51 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Control slave strength wireless on 600EX?

Perfect. Thank u.

May 12, 2013 at 06:03 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password