Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

I sent mine in recently and had a thread on questions about the corner sharpness. With the return of my lens I was happy to see that at the wide end, it was/is very sharp. I have since taken a harder look at the long end, 70, and find that it just does not have the same sharpness and without doubt, falls off at the sides and really at the corners.

So is this lens tuned to be excellent at the wide end and less so at the long end? What are your findings? I stipulated to please fully check the lens out on wide and long and please do so that I didn't have to send it in again, as I had to with my previous vs.1.

May 10, 2013 at 05:39 PM
bin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Mine is sharpest at 24 and weakest at 70. It is wickedly sharp at 24. At 70 it's decent - maybe just a little bit better than the v1 at 70.

May 10, 2013 at 05:56 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Binh Ly wrote:
Mine is sharpest at 24 and weakest at 70. It is wickedly sharp at 24. At 70 it's decent - maybe just a little bit better than the v1 at 70.

Ah, I see. That is about like mine. Prime sharp at 24 and so-so at 70, even at center and stopped down. When I sent my 24-70 ver1, I had to do it twice as one end was sharp and the other was not. They balanced it out so I got good at both end but maybe they get both ends the same on the I or II. ?

May 10, 2013 at 06:05 PM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Not sure, but I can test mine out and let you know! From everything I read, I thought it was supposed to be sharpest at 70mm even beating out the 70-200 II ?

May 10, 2013 at 06:19 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

stan23 wrote:
Not sure, but I can test mine out and let you know! From everything I read, I thought it was supposed to be sharpest at 70mm even beating out the 70-200 II ?

Maybe if it is tuned to that end. I looked on the lens comparison chart where you can see the results a various f stops and you can compare 2 lens and when I did this, on that chart, the 24 end was sharper than the 70 end for the lens they used.

May 10, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Strongest between 24 and 35-ish, slowly falling off toward 70. Still excellent in the center at 70, but not great on the edge. For most applications, it doesn't matter that it falls off, but for some it's good to know your lens.

May 10, 2013 at 06:40 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Peter Figen wrote:
Strongest between 24 and 35-ish, slowly falling off toward 70. Still excellent in the center at 70, but not great on the edge. For most applications, it doesn't matter that it falls off, but for some it's good to know your lens.

Exactly, to know your lens. I asked CPS about this. I told them I wasn't upset, I just want to know, is this normal and is this the limitation of the 70? If I know this and need the length and need sharpness edge to edge, then I would use something else.

May 10, 2013 at 06:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

jamato8 wrote:
I sent mine in recently and had a thread on questions about the corner sharpness. With the return of my lens I was happy to see that at the wide end, it was/is very sharp. I have since taken a harder look at the long end, 70, and find that it just does not have the same sharpness and without doubt, falls off at the sides and really at the corners.

So is this lens tuned to be excellent at the wide end and less so at the long end? What are your findings? I stipulated to please fully check
...Show more

Really, it is just very sharp for a zoom throughout its entire (limited) focal length and across the frame. It is not "weak" at any focal length.

May 10, 2013 at 07:10 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Mine seems so sharp everywhere I haven't bothered to investigate it further. It is great without any mfa.

May 10, 2013 at 07:53 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

dgdg wrote:
Mine seems so sharp everywhere I haven't bothered to investigate it further. It is great without any mfa.

Agreed. That lens is so sharp that I didn't feel the need to pixel peep with it at any focal length. It's clearly sharper than my mk1 at any focal length, center or corner. No issues using it wide open.

May 10, 2013 at 08:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

jamato8 wrote:

So is this lens tuned to be excellent at the wide end and less so at the long end? What are your findings? I stipulated to please fully check
...Show more

From what I saw of a few copies this lens design does do better at the wide end when it comes to far edges and especially corners. The difference isn't too extreme for 100% flat targets (although clearly there for sure) but quite noticeable for complex scenes. Far edges and corners are best below 40mm and clearly worse above 60mm.

At least from a few copies sampled.

I think they optimized for edge to edge for wide landscape usage while still retaining ultra sharp f/2.8 at center frame for 70mm isolated central frame work.

May 10, 2013 at 08:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

stan23 wrote:

Not at the edges from what I saw. The best copies are very, very good f/2.8 center frame at 70mm though (better than my 70-200 f/4 IS at 4, 70-200 2.8 non-IS at 2.8 (or 4), 70-300L at 4) but the edges on FF were more like the 70-200 2.8 non-IS and not a match for 70-200 f/4 IS or 70-300L.

The copy that I saw that was weakest wide open did 70mm f/2.8 roughly same ball park as 70-200 f/4 IS at 70mm f/4 (granted that is the weakest spot for hat lens) and worse than 70-300l 70mm f/4.

May 10, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Jason Stein

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

skibum5 wrote:
Not at the edges from what I saw. The best copies are very, very good f/2.8 center frame at 70mm though (better than my 70-200 f/4 IS at 4, 70-200 2.8 non-IS at 2.8 (or 4), 70-300L at 4) but the edges on FF were more like the 70-200 2.8 non-IS and not a match for 70-200 f/4 IS or 70-300L.

The copy that I saw that was weakest wide open did 70mm f/2.8 roughly same ball park as 70-200 f/4 IS at 70mm f/4 (granted that is the weakest spot for hat lens) and worse than 70-300l 70mm f/4.

I have only had the lens for a few weeks, but based on my limited testing I would rate my copy as excellent (center frame) at 70mm and every bit as sharp, if not sharper than my 70-200 II which I would never have thought possible. The sharpness at the edges at 70mm is very good. I have not done a lot of testing at 24mm but what I have seen so far is fantastic center frame. My testing was done on a 5DIII.

Edited on May 10, 2013 at 09:29 PM · View previous versions

May 10, 2013 at 09:17 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

It was my understanding from the MDF charts that center frame was sharper at 70mm vs 24mm with both at f2.8.

With that said, I think those in above posts should specifie their observations as to which camera and sensor they are referencing their the subjective analysis. Obviously crop vs ff would have a huge factor on defining edges with the to nowhere near equal

I still have to put mine through the paces for testing once the kids seasons finish up. (Despite using it all winter for basketball shooting )

I posted earlier this winter with a bunch of links to mtf etc if anyone wants to search it.. Here is a link http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_24_70mm_f_2_8l_ii_usm?WT.mc_id=C126149

Guy
7D

May 10, 2013 at 09:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

gschlact wrote:
It was my understanding from the MDF charts that center frame was sharper at 70mm vs 24mm with both at f2.8.

Unless all measurements at all focal lengths and all apertures in all parts of the frame are identical (ha!) some circumstance will be "better" than some other... in completely meaningless and trivial ways.

Dan

May 10, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Jason Stein

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

gschlact wrote:

With that said, I think those in above posts should specifie their observations as to which camera and sensor they are referencing their the subjective analysis. Obviously crop vs ff would have a huge factor on defining edges with the to nowhere near equal

I still have to put mine through the paces for testing once the kids seasons finish up. (Despite using it all winter for basketball shooting )

I posted earlier this winter with a bunch of links
...Show more

According to those MTFs, 24mm should be sharper center frame than at 70mm.

May 10, 2013 at 09:36 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Haven't checked the edges on mine but the center is incredibly sharp at 24 & 70mm, wide open.

May 10, 2013 at 09:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

IMO, it's sweet all over; two-four to sventy, and 2p-ate to f-slash twenty-too.

P.S. my spell-check said "pass", on this one,

May 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

I don't own one but the one I rented was sharper on the wide end vs long. That being said the long side was still better than any 24-70i I've owned and really splitting hairs at best with the rest of the range. For my needs I was still overkill and I'm happy with the tamron which is also better than any canon 24-70i I've owned.

May 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where is your 24-70L II sharpest, wide or long?

Peter Figen wrote:

This is also my experience. I should also add that it is sharper at 70 than I feared based in some of the initial feedback saying it wasn't as sharp here compared to 24.

Edited on May 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM · View previous versions

May 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.