Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Not your average post processing machine

tgillespie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Not your average post processing machine

So I just finished up building a custom PC for the lady. She loves barns... loves photography, and we've been looking into getting her a machine that would allow her to do her own post processing. Check out the rest of the photos and build details here: Barnwood Computer

May 10, 2013 at 08:39 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Not your average post processing machine

Is that a fire hazard? Need to check with your home owner insurance underwriter for that?

May 10, 2013 at 09:18 PM
tomrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Not your average post processing machine

Very cool. I didn't read what you wrote, but I hope it doesn't get too hot. You may need to cut some air holes.

May 10, 2013 at 09:19 PM
tgillespie

p.1 #4 · Not your average post processing machine

mshi wrote:
Is that a fire hazard? Need to check with your home owner insurance underwriter for that?

Not really. It cools just fine, and its not like PC's produce a spark or the ability to ignite anything. The CPU gets hot, but not abnormally hot. I do have a fire extinguisher nearby though

May 10, 2013 at 09:26 PM
tgillespie

p.1 #5 · Not your average post processing machine

tomrock wrote:
Very cool. I didn't read what you wrote, but I hope it doesn't get too hot. You may need to cut some air holes.

It has good ventilation. The bottom is made out of peg board with a 120mm sucking in cool air... which then gets expelled out through the Power Supply and a slit in the lid near the back. I've had Prime 95 running on it for 30 minutes and didn't see any abnormally high temps.

May 10, 2013 at 09:27 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #6 · Not your average post processing machine

Nice work. The frame around the monitor is really slick. For the case, I probably would have set the panels a bit differently (maybe at a slight slant, overlayed like siding with 0.5cm gap) to add ventilation without messing up the aesthetics of the project.

Then again I'm not qualified to speak, all my computers are housed in black rectangular boxes.

May 10, 2013 at 09:42 PM
tgillespie

p.1 #7 · Not your average post processing machine

edl415 wrote:
Nice work. The frame around the monitor is really slick. For the case, I probably would have set the panels a bit differently (maybe at a slight slant, overlayed like siding with 0.5cm gap) to add ventilation without messing up the aesthetics of the project.

Then again I'm not qualified to speak, all my computers are housed in black rectangular boxes.

I did not think of that, but its a brilliant idea. It would get you good ventilation while providing a natural barnwood look... there is always next time. I've actually had a few people hit me up about building one for them already.

May 11, 2013 at 04:03 AM
C Parish
• •
p.1 #8 · Not your average post processing machine

Great idea!

I bet the barn board deadens the sound from the fans nicely too.

Cheers

May 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #9 · Not your average post processing machine

Very cool creative approach, and excellent execution!!

Sam

May 11, 2013 at 03:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rockant
• •
p.1 #10 · Not your average post processing machine

That is very cool!

It sounds like you got it all right, but I would double check your temperatures over a longer period. Since wood, unlike metal, heats slowly. It might take hours for the wood to hit peak temperature.

Let me know if you have any problems with barn mice!

May 11, 2013 at 05:00 PM
tgillespie

p.1 #11 · Not your average post processing machine

C Parish wrote:
Great idea!

I bet the barn board deadens the sound from the fans nicely too.

Cheers

It is pretty quiet. The 120mm fans run at such a low speed, they are barely audible. The CPU fan is a bit more noticeable, but under general usage, its not bad.

May 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM
tgillespie

p.1 #12 · Not your average post processing machine

rockant wrote:
That is very cool!

It sounds like you got it all right, but I would double check your temperatures over a longer period. Since wood, unlike metal, heats slowly. It might take hours for the wood to hit peak temperature.

Let me know if you have any problems with barn mice!

Under general usage for 6 hours, I checked the temps and they hadn't increased at all. I have not tested it under full load for more than 30 minutes... The next time she fires up Lightroom, I will be sure to do it though.

May 11, 2013 at 07:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Not your average post processing machine

Ah-ha ... so that's how I can move my workstation upstairs.

May 11, 2013 at 09:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Not your average post processing machine

I don't see any hard drives. Where does the data originate from and go to?

EBH

May 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Not your average post processing machine

EB-1 wrote:

His hardware list includes a "Mushkin 128GB Enhanced SSD."

May 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #16 · Not your average post processing machine

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

There is a SATA cable running to an internal hard drive/SSD sitting directly on top on the 120mm fan at the bottom of the case.

The first thing I thought of when I saw your photos was "how the hell is he cooling this thing" but reading the write up I found that your cooling situation is quite well executed and reasonably good at its job. I like the peg board idea for the bottom of the case. Probably would have placed the 120mm fan so that it could blow directly past the CPU heat sink if it were me, but I am not qualified to tell you how to do anything . How are you cooling the monitor? Just have some holes in the back of it to vent heat?

Really excellent work! If you end up making a mk II variant definitely post photos!

May 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #17 · Not your average post processing machine

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I'm guessing the data (Lightroom catalog and image files) resides on a networked drive and the software programs are installed on the SSD.

May 12, 2013 at 04:56 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password