Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Snowboarding

chefmoki
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Snowboarding

Hey everyone,

This is my first post to this section. I shoot a lot of freelance gigs in the winter all over the United States. Recently shot this at a WW2 training camp in Colorado. Give me all the feedback you wish to say! Looking forward to what people have to say. I use Lightroom 3 for all my post.

Ryan
www.ryanbregante.com

May 10, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Snowboarding

For me. the concrete structure in the foreground, frame left is too predominant. I like the sunburst, and I like the peak action of the boarder, but the comp is dominated by that broken down concrete too much IMO.

May 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Snowboarding

+1 @ Travis

Foreshortening is a powerful technique to capture your viewers attention and help to draw their eye where you want them to go. BUT, it can be just as powerful at drawing their eye away from where you want them to go.

As presented, the mass of the concrete, the tonal value of the starburst and the subsequent curvature of the concrete (left) ... all three pull us pretty hard to the left side of the image ... which keeps pulling us away from your snowboarder, rather than pushing us toward him.

That being said, the power of the peak action is pretty strong because, it manages to pull us that way a smidgeon still. The key here, will be to rebalance the relationship of the power each of those areas presents at pulling the viewer's eye to where you want the viewer to go.

Possible crop consideration.

Additional PP @ distortion tweak, 5% scale bump to snowboarder, selective sharpening and selective levels to move eye away from concrete.

Pretty much a different image from the fisheye vibe, which has a different kind of cool factor. Just using this to illustrate the diff. How/where you want to take the image is up to you, just be aware of how you are pushing/pulling your viewer. It's all fair game, its up to you to take us wherever you want us to go ... i.e. do you want us to look more/less at the concrete/rock or the snowboarder ... your call either way.

BTW ... depending on your audience, they may go nuts over the cool fisheye concrete vibe, while a more traditional audience (i.e. me) might see it as a distraction from the snowboarder. Know your message/intent for the image, know your audience and work to make the two connect.

Looks like some fun shooting.

May 10, 2013 at 01:38 PM
odnanref

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Snowboarding

I would suggest removing some of the structure in the left hand side and use the lens correction tool unless you used a wide angle distortion on purpose. There's a lot of tonal range here. Check out what you can do with black and white.

May 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Snowboarding

More subject. Less context.

May 11, 2013 at 03:11 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password