Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · This is what Adobe CC will be.

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · This is what Adobe CC will be.

I reached back to open an older file - circa 2000. Ai came up and insisted that it couldn't run without installing Java OS X 2013-003. I have an abiding distrust for Java but allowed the process to continue. Everything stopped while Adobe went somewhere, downloaded a file it deemed OK, and installed it without even asking for permission. Time spent about 5 minutes on my fairly lame ADSL. Ai growled and sputtered for a bit then opened. No file. It wouldn't open the older file.

Now add to the fact that all of my CS 6 applications (fully paid for latest versions) habitually and periodically insist that my "30 day demo period is over" and I must purchase a key. I enter the key yet again and get, I guess another 30 days.

A while back, I spent probably 5 hours over 3 days trying to work with a gentleman in India whose version of English is significantly different than mine trying to solve this problem. He first went to great lengths to ensure that I actually had purchased a license, then fumbled, suggested various things, had to consult with "more expert experts" and finally insisted that I had to fundamentally widen permissions to my entire hard drive so that this phenomena would stop. In other words compromise fundamental security to allow Adobe to function. I tried it for awhile. It didn't work.

So this is our future: (1) Adobe will interrupt our work insisting that it must install some vital/new/improved thing. I know that we are being told we don't have to accept upgrades, but a careful reading of the end user agreement shows that Adobe is in complete control and can insist (on pain of your use being terminated) that they can "make any modifications they deem necessary without notifying the user." (2) After having wasted the time on this "improvement process" old documents still won't open. (3) I can't even begin to enumerate the possible iterations to this scenario, none of which seem favorable to my work.

"Houston, we have a problem."

Robert

May 09, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · This is what Adobe CC will be.

Yeah, the CC EULA is the worst I've ever seen. Sorta like a credit card crossed with Facebook, but even worse. To me, the user agreement is worse than the monthly rental.

May 09, 2013 at 05:13 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #3 · This is what Adobe CC will be.

Peter Figen wrote:
Yeah, the CC EULA is the worst I've ever seen. Sorta like a credit card crossed with Facebook, but even worse. To me, the user agreement is worse than the monthly rental.

+1000

Fools worry about governments. Wise and cautious men fear the robber barons (e.g. your friendly multinational).

May 09, 2013 at 05:19 PM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · This is what Adobe CC will be.

OntheRez wrote:
+1000

Fools worry about governments. Wise and cautious men fear the robber barons (e.g. your friendly multinational).

i was led to believe "the robber barons (e.g. your friendly multinational)" own the government. no? no true any more?

May 09, 2013 at 07:45 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #5 · This is what Adobe CC will be.

mshi wrote:
i was led to believe "the robber barons (e.g. your friendly multinational)" own the government. no? no true any more?

Ya can't tell the players without your score card! Get your score card right here! Don't think USA has 100% overlap between the big owners and the government quite yet. Certainly not like I've seen it in some countries. Still, since a corp is now a person, maybe we'll see them voting based upon their capitalization.

Off topic, but I think my experience with CS 6 makes the "cloud" a foreboding portent.

Robert

May 10, 2013 at 03:41 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password