Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers with other flashes

sma shooter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers with other flashes

Hi,

I'm about to buy several Yongnuo YN-622C radio transmitter/receivers for lighting setups, and I have a question.

In a multiple light setup, there are times when I would like to fire my Canon flashes and also manual flashes, including Vivitar 285HV units and Alien Bees monolights. The ETTL system allows me to control the power of the Canon flashes from the camera, but if the manual units are triggered by photoelectric cells, the ETTL pre-flash will fire the them prematurely.

It seems to me that by switching to the Yongnuo units, I would be able to control the power of the Canon slave flashes in much the same way as the ETTL system works, and I could also fire any manual flash connected to one of the radio receivers. I believe that photoelectric cells on any additional flashes would also fire them in proper synchronization because the radio system doesn't rely on a signalling preflash.

But I'm not sure I'm correct. I'd appreciate advice from anyone with experience in this sort of setup. Thanks!

May 08, 2013 at 04:33 PM
SeedyBee

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers with other flashes

Mixing E-TTL units and simple units is always a problem.

The YN-622C avoids all those problems by replacing whatever communication with its own. But that mean having sufficient 622s to drive each remote device.

It is, however, possible to drive an E-TTL flash on a remote 622's hotshoe, AND an off-shoe flash or strobe via a PC-sync cable. Doing this avoids problems with high-voltage trigger pins.

You may find TOYUG helpful:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

May 08, 2013 at 10:39 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers with other flashes

sma shooter wrote:
...The ETTL system allows me to control the power of the Canon flashes from the camera, but if the manual units are triggered by photoelectric cells, the ETTL pre-flash will fire the them prematurely. ...It seems to me that by switching to the Yongnuo units, I would be able to control the power of the Canon slave flashes in much the same way as the ETTL system works, and I could also fire any manual flash connected to one of the radio receivers. I believe that photoelectric cells on any additional flashes would also fire them in proper
...Show more

Yes, that will work, as long as the Speedlites are in Manual output mode. If they're in ETTL mode, the camera will command the Speedlites to fire metering preflashes that could trip the optically slaved strobes.

BTW, since the Canon Speedlites can work in Master/Slave mode in both ETTL and Manual modes, it's more correct to refer to this Master/Slave setup as the Canon Wireless system rather than the ETTL system.

May 09, 2013 at 04:05 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password