Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

MGH-PA

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

So, I'm at a crossroads right now with regard to what to do with Adobe software (as if there is a need for another thread). I'm an educator who uses CS4 daily (all of my classes use it), and own CS5.5 at home (got it for $40 due to a glitch on Adobe's site back in May). I'm just now receiving parts for my new computer build, and had planned to upgrade to CS6 (most likely Photoshop) until I read the press release two days ago.

I primarily use Photoshop at home, but I use the Design Premium suit at school. I was planning to begin to do some video editing with my new build, and was considering purchasing the Production Premium suite at the educator discount. However, as much as I dislike the Cloud service change, I could take advantage of the temporary discount ($19.95/month) for the full cloud educator discount and have access to it all, and after a while, if I don't like it, or see that I'm not taking advantage of most of it, let it expire and fall back to CS5.5 PS for now.

I really do not see the value in paying a subscription price for long term usage, so I would not be willing to do this for several years, so then I was thinking that possibly just purchasing CS6 and riding it out for now would be better.

Really torn, and what would you suggest to best future proof myself given this situation (assuming I will still need to have access to stay up to date for curriculum in the school)?

May 08, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

I also teach photoshop as part of a photography course. I'm seriously having to re-evalute teaching photoshop or even LR (writing on the wall). They've given a blatant middle finger to the photographic community which is about to abandon them the moment they can. I honestly think that Adobe is no longer the future for a photographer.

Are we going to have to keep fully up to date with every little change they make every 6 months to pretend there is value to the subscription model? Is what we are teaching going to become obsolete far faster than ever before? Are our students going to be buying and using adobe software?

I honestly believe that there is about to be a huge shift in the industry over the next year, either to pirate or other companies. Either way, I do not think that you are alone at all in your questions.

May 08, 2013 at 02:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

Out in left field ... never mind.

Edited on May 08, 2013 at 11:00 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2013 at 10:54 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

Given your extensive knowledge of CS, I would upgrade to CS6 (educational) or see if your school will cover an academic CC Complete going forward. That will give you a while to evaluate the situation in terms of your personal usage. In terms of curriculum, I would imagine continue with Photoshop training for the foreseeable future. Companies and professional environments are not going to drop CS over these changes.

Edited on May 08, 2013 at 11:00 PM · View previous versions

May 08, 2013 at 10:55 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

Something good will come of it....I just feel it.

There is always someone/some company that smells an opportunity to capitalize on things like this. Just continue using what you have until that time comes around.

Hey, look at Canon and Nikon right now! I'm sure this will affect their bottom line as well. Who is going to jump on the latest camera technology knowing they'll have to think twice about signing up for the Cloud to support those files?

Like I said, there are businesses out there right now looking to seize on this opening....I just know it. In the meantime, we should all be fine with what we have for some time.

May 08, 2013 at 11:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

CarlG wrote:
In the meantime, we should all be fine with what we have for some time.

This ^.

May 08, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MGH-PA

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

Thanks. IF (big IF) I want to dabble in Premiere and possibly after effects on the side, it might make sense to simply do the cloud, though. It may be in my best interest to just buy Photoshop CS6, and then subscribe to the cloud to see if I really like Premiere.

May 09, 2013 at 12:03 AM
finnianp
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

Why won't the school cover the expense if it's part of the curriculum?

May 09, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

CarlG wrote:
Something good will come of it....I just feel it.

There is always someone/some company that smells an opportunity to capitalize on things like this. Just continue using what you have until that time comes around.

Hey, look at Canon and Nikon right now! I'm sure this will affect their bottom line as well. Who is going to jump on the latest camera technology knowing they'll have to think twice about signing up for the Cloud to support those files?

Like I said, there are businesses out there right now looking to seize on this opening....I just know it. In the meantime, we should
...Show more

I hope you are right. Adobe seems to be a pack of bloodsuckers who survive because they have maintained virtual monopoly-type software. This might be the stunt that opens the door for competition. Photoshop is WAY overdue for some serious competition.

May 09, 2013 at 04:21 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

If you decide to use the whole CC suite for a year at the $20/mo price, you're getting thousands of dollars of programs to use for a year at a $240 price. I know a lot of people are having a lot of trouble with this. But there is value there. I have my own photo/video biz on the side, and I'm on CC for the whole suite.

Honestly, I think the reason behind this was revenue-based, but not in the way most ppl seem to think, which is greed. Adobe would have these huge spikes of revenue whenever they released the latest CS suite, and then trickle for a long while (compared to the spike) until a new version came out. This will spread out the revenue and make it more consistent.

May 09, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

Ron,

I totally recognize that the CC is beneficial to some folks and businesses, in the short-term at least. The break-even appears to be when you use more than two Adobe apps regularly and depends a bit on which apps. I think that is what contributes to this Internet war over the CC. Some customers feel they are getting royally screwed and others feel like they just got a visit from Santa Claus.

I don't buy the "leveling out the revenue" line though. Sure it's nice for Adobe and its stock-holders but Adobe is not the only company in the world that has had to deal with seasonal revenue fluctuations. That line is just one of the many PR mis-drections that the Adobe PR team sends out to keep the public from looking at the real issues.

In my career I have negotiated several IT service contracts and continue to do so. Often those contracts contain Service Level Agreements and penalties that the service provider has to pay if they don't meet those service levels. The contracts also contain terms that spell out when the contract can be cancelled by the client for non-performance. The penalties are a "wake-up call" for the supplier that they need to get their act together. The non-performance clause is the nuclear option of cancelling the contract altogether.

The reason I mention that is I see the old 1-2 year software upgrade as a potential penalty for a software manufacturer like Adobe. If Adobe's quality starts to slack off or the new upgrade doesn't represent value to me, I can defer or skip paying for the upgrade. It is my "wake-up call" to Adobe that doesn't penalize ME greatly in the process. With the CC, Adobe has removed that potential penalty that I used to have at my disposal as a customer. Now, my only option is the nuclear option of cancelling the contract - a step that potentially saddles me with migration and re-training costs.

So while you gained a price reduction in your particular situation, just be aware that you gave up something to get it. Also be aware that there is no question at all regarding what you lost. There may be, however, a question regarding how long your cost benefit will last.

Also, don't be fooled by simplistic cost comparisons and statements that you are "getting thousands of dollars of programs for $240". You are getting ONE YEAR OF USAGE of "thousands of dollars of software" and that software only comes close to being worth "thousands of dollars" if you actually use it. Even then, be careful with thinking that software is really worth "thousands of dollars". That is certainly what it USED to cost but technology costs in general decrease, not increase. 95% of that software has already been developed and Adobe has recovered its costs and then some. That is how companies like Adobe and Microsoft continue to make big bucks even though their rates of innovation have leveled off. It is only because those companies have developed pseudo-monopolies by becoming "industry standards" that their prices have remained as high as they are. And THAT is the real reason IMO that Adobe is implementing this new model - to lock-in customers so it can continue to glide along with record profits.

May 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM
super35
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Weird spot to be in with regard to Adobe...advice needed.

This is a really bad spot to be in for all who teach using Adobe products. What I mean is, merely by teaching their use, you are now encouraging Adobe's predatory behavior and the further degradation of personal choice when using software.

I don't teach but as a member of multiple creative communities I have promoted and helped others use Adobe products for over 18 years. I started using Photoshop with version 3 around 1995. I am now in the process of changing my entire mindset from "just use everything Adobe" to "use anything but Adobe."

I don't see any future for me in continuing down this road with Adobe to a lifetime of rental software. I was always one of those people who only upgraded when I really needed to and I skipped over many versions. For now I have the CS6 suite that will carry me for a few more years but I WILL be changing to alternative programs. I will switch even if it means changing OS platforms. There are plenty of raw processors and video editors out there now and I am positive this move by Adobe will bring us even greater choice in the future.

May 10, 2013 at 01:10 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password