Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Elinchrom Ranger Sync with 5DMKII, H3DII, and x100s

photosymbol
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Elinchrom Ranger Sync with 5DMKII, H3DII, and x100s

Hello All,

I did a very non-scientific test today of flash sync times with three different camera systems. The constants in this series is that the Elinchrom Ranger RX AS pack was at full power, 7.5, 1100ws. That was my personal testing criteria.

Thought it may be interesting for some folks to see the results. All files went through lightroom 4.4, and were straight output to photoshop for resizing. Nothing else was done to any of the photographs.

Lighting - Elinchrom Deep Octa (No Diffuser), Elinchrom Ranger RX AS Speed, A port, A head.

Camera 1 - Hasselblad H3DII-31 with 35-90 Lens Mounted.
Camera 2 - Canon 5DMKIII with 24LII Lens Mounted.
Camera 3 - X100s with fixed lens.

Setup:

Hassy:

5DMKIII:

x100s:

There it is, draw your own conclusions (if any). I won't have time to do a test like this probably until wedding season is over, so maybe someone else can pick up the slack where i left off.

The purpose of this test was for me to see what i could do with each camera with the pack at full power. Hope it's helpful to someone else.

May 07, 2013 at 06:56 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #2 · Elinchrom Ranger Sync with 5DMKII, H3DII, and x100s

You can also see the whole set on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/symbolphotography/sets/72157633427436281/

May 07, 2013 at 06:57 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #3 · Elinchrom Ranger Sync with 5DMKII, H3DII, and x100s

My own personal conclusions are as such... the 5DMKIII sync doesn't register past 1/320th. The x100s doesn't register past 1/1000th. Hassy registers all the way up to 1/800th it's max speed.

I was hoping to lighten my load with the x100s and not lug around the H3DII for certain gigs, well that dream was crushed. While the x100s can sync reliably up too 1/1000th, it's just not the look i'm going for. Although, if i popped on a physical ND filter onto it, it could be a different story. The built in ND doesn't compensate enough to get anywhere under F8. So i'm going to be looking into a physical filter for it, otherwise, it'll remain my bag camera for everyday use.

May 07, 2013 at 07:59 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Elinchrom Ranger Sync with 5DMKII, H3DII, and x100s

Maybe I've been watching too much Dexter but I'm thinking it's pretty amazing that you were able to photograph the whole series without someone driving by and calling the cops.

May 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password