Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Film era Lighting verse todays technology, is it useable?

johnmBost

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Film era Lighting verse todays technology, is it useable?

I agreed a year ago to shoot a friends sons weddng for free as they are Quite lmited on cash, having never done anything like this before I immediately got my friend that went to school for photography (in France) and had his own business doing weddings, portraits etc. but ran away from photography once digital was clearly here to stay (roughly 12 years ago ). so he has no knowledge of the advancements of lighting control since then. I also have noknowledge past or present but am a fast learner and have 6 weeks to play till wedding.
He still has many of his large format cameas (hasselblad I think) and lenses as well as his his old canon film bodies and glass, so I am positive he had what the pros would use for lighting back then as well as remote triggers from that era. I can fnd out the specific models if it may be useable, but didnt want to get ahead of myself before checking here, I would not mind throwing $500 to $1000 into this as it is for 2 great kids.
What I have for gear is a 5d mII 24-70 f2.8 L , 70-200 F2.8 L is usm , Wireless remote trigger for shutter, 580 EXII flash, 50d, ef-s 17-55 f2.8, 52gb of cf cards. I have started him down the path to dgital by selling him my old sony f-828 and now he is wanting to buy my 50d and 17-55 should I sell them, so the lighting will definately get future use by at least me if not both of us lol. So should I figure out what he has or is it pretty much more work than it is worth and would be uncontrollable by cameras anyway, so just rent modern lighting from somewhere for the weekend?

May 07, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #2 · Film era Lighting verse todays technology, is it useable?

The thing that pops up for me, is the older film stuff probably wouldn't have ETTL in it. But flash is flash. There isn't any difference in the light except for output variations due to age. A 580 II and a 50D is a nice combo to start. Since you have the 5DII, I would sell him the 50 D outfit.

Hope this helps you
Allan

May 07, 2013 at 04:53 PM
johnmBost

p.1 #3 · Film era Lighting verse todays technology, is it useable?

Thanks Allen, just bought the 5dII used but am enjoying figuring it out so far, Didn't know if there was some magic box that could vary the voltage and time to the older lights based off what the flash decided and communicated to it, I suppose there wouldn't be a huge market for it nowadays, hence no demand, thanks for taking the time to answer I appreciate it.

May 07, 2013 at 08:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tedwca
• •
p.1 #4 · Film era Lighting verse todays technology, is it useable?

Since he had medium format gear(not large format if Hasselblad) he would have used manual flash that would work exactly the same now as it did then with the exception the cameras are using focal plane shutters instead of leaf shutters so maximum sync is slower, i.e. 1/250 instead of 1/500. One thing to be careful of is the sync voltage of the older flashes. If they are connected to most digital cameras via the PC sync they may have to much voltage. Use radio or infrared triggers instead of wired connections.

We could give better advice if we know the make and models of the lighting he has.

May 08, 2013 at 02:56 AM
johnmBost

p.1 #5 · Film era Lighting verse todays technology, is it useable?

I will find out from him tonight and post, he had both medium and large formats, he literally has about ten hardcases of various gear, the fault lies with me, while I am somewhat tech savy, I have absolutely no knowledge of film era equipment nor how to effectively use it lol, I only got hooked on this hobby 8 years ago so I only have digital in my limited knowledge, I appreciate the help,

May 08, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #6 · Film era Lighting verse todays technology, is it useable?

Just remember: light is light. It doesn't matter if it's the sun, a bonfire, torch lights, an old Norman pack, an Alien Bee, a Profoto or a speedlight - it all emits light. You just need to know what you want to do with it and how you want to place it to get the effect you want.

Tech may have changed over the years, but sculpting with light hasn't - its still the same fundamental principle.

And with a 5DmkII - you don't really have to even worry about external flashes - that sucker is great at high ISOs.

Cheers,
Sid

May 10, 2013 at 01:36 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password