Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

AHPZuazua
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

I'm new to Medium Format and was wondering on the Shot Counter on Digital backs comoared to the ShutterCount on a DSLR. I have a 5D that I just replaced the shutter and box assembly with 292K on the shutter
I'm looking into a
Mamiya ZD 22mp Digital Camera System which from what I read is a Mamiya Digital back and a Mamiya 645AFD II camera.
I see them used at BH and ebay.
Is it worth selling my gear for the higher MP cound that this new system will afford me. I'm printing these family portraits for my clients at 30x40
Thanks
Reuben
5D and 1D Mark 2 is what I use with some nice lenses

May 06, 2013 at 09:34 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

First off, be careful about exactly which package you are getting. The ZD is both a DSLR and a Back solution. You may be looking at either a ZD camera or a ZD back with an AFDII camera, the latter is to be greatly preferred.

That said, I'd only consider a ZD setup if I had a solid investment in 645AF lenses already. You will not be able to use the latest & greatest 645AF lenses like the new Schneiders, which require the AFDIII and later and the back is ragingly obsolete and was somewhat quirky even when new.

You will likely get better value for your money buy going to a D800-based setup or biting the bullet and going to a less obsolete MFDB/MFDSLR setup from PhaseOne or Pentax.

May 06, 2013 at 11:54 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.1 #3 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Ok pal. Mamiya ZD cam is based on a AFD II . It was affordable which is the only reason I was looking into it. Canon was my first Camera so that's what I already invested in. If what you say is to get a Nikon D800 I will just stay with either a 1Ds or get a 5D III.
Is there a forum where I can compare the Medium Format images similar to POTN does.
Thank you

Edited on May 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 03:24 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

I guess you would see a modest increase in image quality over your Canons, but even when the back came out, it wasn't well respected, and had limited dynamic range, for example. If you want to get a back, I would look for an old Phase One or maybe a Sinar, if you can combine it with the right camera.

May 07, 2013 at 06:05 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Why go the ZD route at all for your business?

I don't know who your clients are, or what they pay you. But if you've been getting by with a 5D for 30 x 40 family portrait images-- I can't imagine they're super demanding, paying very high prices, etc.

There's a lot of assumption in there, I know.

If it's correct, you'd be just as well off by upgrading to a 5D2, which won't cost you much at all. And you can keep using the lenses you have (unless what you're using is not up to par). Or the 5D3. Or if you need still more, making a jump to 800/E + portrait lens. Any of these options will give you significantly better enlargements out at the current limits of the format.

If you're aiming at the truly high end, with high paying clients, why/how have you kept shooting with a 5D for so long in the first place? And how could a 22mp ZD really live up to the demands of the client?

It seems like a simple proposition to me really: If your clients demand MFDB quality, then they must be paying the sorts of prices that allow you to equip yourself with a relatively recent, 40+ MP back, cam, and lenses. If they're not paying those prices, they have no choice but to be satisfied with a 23-36 MP 35mm FF camera and solid lenses (which will produce high quality large prints). Unless those clients have a local dentist/ortho surgeon/CEO w/ a Phase One hobby and a sell-at-a-loss weekend photographer fantasy.

May 07, 2013 at 06:39 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

AHPZuazua wrote:
Ots the fitdt onr.

??

May 07, 2013 at 08:32 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

However high end your family portraits are, they won't give a damn what's equipment you use. Sure, if you spend 100k on a MF camera you'd be stupid to not try and show the value of it to clients in some fashion, but unless you're missing out some important piece of info here... The Mamiya just isn't the right choice as far as I can see.

May 07, 2013 at 08:43 AM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.1 #8 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

carstenw wrote:
??

Lol Dont know?

May 08, 2013 at 02:15 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.1 #9 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

I hear what your saying. I have decent lens. 50mm F1.4, 17-40mm, 70-200mm. They have all worked so far. After seeing a demo online I was looking into this. Seeing that there is a local Film Photography group I was looking into a Camera that can do both. Saw on Adorama and Keh some ZD options that are affordable. Now that I keep looking into to it and asking questions. It seems more of a just for fun thing to do than a smart business move. I'm new into selling images to clients. Its all word of mouth but the images have brrn fine so far. I'm using what I got. Maybr just an upgrade to the 5D or a 1Ds is what I should do.
The lens for the MF route I am thinging about will put me in a finiancial whole so maybe its not the right move.
Thank you all who have read and those that gave opinions.
Reuben

May 08, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

ZD was a problem child when it was released coupled with a body that doesn't begin to match even a basic Rebel. I'm using the Mamiya DF, 3 generations newer than the ZD and it's junk. 30K shutter life, crashes constantly, unreliable focus and just badly made and thought out. I have little doubt that a D800e would easily surpass the ZD for IQ including at low ISO. Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

May 08, 2013 at 02:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AHPZuazua
• • •
p.1 #11 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Good to here

May 08, 2013 at 04:55 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #12 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

There is no need to go medium format unless you want higher dynamic range and less geometric distortion on wide angles. Besides, most medium format lenses resolve less than 135 ones.

May 09, 2013 at 11:07 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

The better ones resolve enough for the larger format.

The D800 has more dynamic range than all MFDBs, I believe. The main reasons for going MF are colour, flash, and the look of the larger format.

May 09, 2013 at 11:12 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.1 #14 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

I really need to try one before I just buy it based on what you tell me.

Edited on May 09, 2013 at 11:53 PM · View previous versions

May 09, 2013 at 11:18 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #15 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

If you're regularly producing 30x40 wall portraits, a current generation MFDB will surpass any DSLR offering hands-down. But I would not be looking at the ZD. If you really want to step up the image quality, you'll need to dig a lot deeper into those pockets than an old ZD. Don't skimp.

Most all MFDB photographers I know also have a higher end DSLR also, and sometimes two different platforms for the MFDB. Different tools, different jobs. If you need to sell one system to support the transition to another, e.g., a MFDB, you might want to reconsider.

With a limited budget, you're better off either jumping ship to a D800 or holding out for Canon's eventual higher MP answer.

ken

May 09, 2013 at 11:27 PM
sflxn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

I am going to agree with everyone here. I would not touch the ZD. A Pentax 645D or a used older Hasselblad H model will be a better solution. Before jumping in, first do the research on the 'why' of getting into MF and the differences between the systems. For example, if you're planning on using studio lights, it's far better to go with Hasselblad or higher end Phase One systems with leaf shutter lenses.

A Pentax 645D is a system I would recommend for DSLR users curious about MF and want to slowly investigate it, mostly because the cost is lower and lens prices are lower.

The main reason for going MF is for the MF look. It's true the D800 has more DR, but it still looks like small format 35mm digital. MF looks more like film. If you like the look, it's far easier to get that look straight out of the camera than to try to put it in during post processing. The colors, more shallow DOF, and lenses are the reasons to switch. The downside is size, weight, and more need for patience.

May 09, 2013 at 11:40 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.1 #17 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

There is a demo from Mamiya coming to Calumet here in Fort Lauderdale.
I won one on eBay for $3000 (Mamiya AFD II with 80mm F2.9 and a ZD 22MP Back (The Original not the newer Double Duffer update the sold later Link)
but they never sent it. Adorama really messed me over.
So I think I will save a little more and go with the Phase One P20 21 25 30 route... I can even keep track, then there is the M18 M21 M31 series from Mamiya and i havent even talked about a Hasselblad. Mamiya AFD II

May 09, 2013 at 11:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

Look carefully into the Phase backs you mention. Of those, I would take the P25. Some of the others have much smaller sensors, which defeats the point.

May 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #19 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

AHPZuazua wrote:
I won one on eBay for $3000 (Mamiya AFD II with 80mm F2.9 and a ZD 22MP Back (The Original not the newer Double Duffer update the sold later Link)
but they never sent it. Adorama really messed me over.

I'm so very sorry that I didn't see this before - and extremely concerned to read that this was your experience.

Can you please email and let me know what happened? Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

May 21, 2013 at 07:20 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #20 · Medium Format Digital Backs (Mamiya ZD)

AHPZuazua wrote:
So I think I will save a little more and go with the Phase One P20 21 25 30 route...

And just to confuse you more ...of those you listed I would pick the P30/P30+. I used the P30 (with Mamiya AFD body) for quite some time and it was just so easy to use and produce stunningly nice and large images. Nice files right out the box. And now with the new C1Pro 7, I don't doubt that these same files processed with the new algorithms would be even better yet.

ken

May 21, 2013 at 08:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password