Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              12       13       end

Archive 2013 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Adobe just
Adobe announced at its MAX conference in Los Angeles, the next version of its flagship digital editing tools, Creative Suite, and for the first time the new products will only be available through its Creative Cloud subscription service.

Creative Cloud comes with a few different options depending on your needs. The $49.99 a month plan gets you access to every program Adobe makes and the Student and Teacher edition comes in at just $29.99 /month.

Adobe Photoshop will be available as a standalone subscription of $19.99 /month. Creative Cloud users will also get 20GB online storage, publishing services and access to over 700 fonts. For a limited time, Photoshop users with a CS3 or higher license, will be able to subscribe to Creative Cloud for $29.95 /month. This will not affect Lightroom customers, who will continue to be able to purchase licenses. Read FAQ

For more details, visit: https://creative.adobe.com/plans.

Also checkout the thread on the Alternative Gear & Lenses board.

May 07, 2013 at 07:49 PM
super35
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Well... $%^&...

A DUM be, A done be, or Adobe... in all their infinite wisdom just announced that all the CS6 products are the end of the line for Creative Suite as regular software. From now on you will join the cloud subscription model or you will do without. CS6 products WILL NOT be updated.

Adobe has not said anything specific about Lightroom yet, but I have a really bad feeling about that too.

May 06, 2013 at 07:39 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

I'm reading that the (regular, not introductory, as they first offered it) price for Photoshop solo has apparently come down from the original $29 month to a more reasonable $19 - $240 yearly wouldn't be terrible, but $360 would be too much and I fear that Adobe already plans to creep the prices up on us after the first year. I'd like to keep up Creative Suite, but $600 a year is more than I want to invest for the convenience of having InDesign and Illustrator on board for occasional use.

I don't like the idea of subscription software as the sole option - it's yielding control over your budget and your update planning. It's a loss of autonomy.

Edited on May 06, 2013 at 08:17 PM · View previous versions

May 06, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Photonic
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Great companies try to respond to and/or anticipate customers needs. Adobe, with this move, has decided to ignore this most basic of business tenets. This is a financially motivated decision, plain and simple. No customer pull whatsoever. I suspect that larger shops will have no alternative but to sign up for the monthly ransom. I think that the small guys are going to abandon ship in droves, myself included.

At the end of the day we get to vote with our wallets. Hope you will join me in sending Adobe the only message they will understand.

May 06, 2013 at 08:14 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Adobe's decision to force customers to their subscription services is an enormous opportunity for competitors. I hope one or more of them take that opportunity -- I'm ready to jump ship from Photoshop if the right product comes along.

John

May 06, 2013 at 08:41 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

The New Coke.....

May 06, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

IIRC they did the same last year initially stating the only way to move from CS5 to 6 was via the cloud, but then relented (for 1 year?) in the face of the backlash for those wanting to upgrade.

Not a surprise, and (assuming there is no compelling reason to consider upgrading) CS6 and LR4.4 will need to suffice for me. Frankly, more than I need now.

Alternatives: DxO or RawTherapee. Last time moving from 5 to 6 required a new computer, not doing that again. Or, God forbid, return to NX2.

Bob

May 06, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Ef 'em. I'm done. LR4 and CS5 will do until I retire.

May 06, 2013 at 08:44 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

super35 wrote:
Well... $%^&...

A DUM be, A done be, or Adobe... in all their infinite wisdom just announced that all the CS6 products are the end of the line for Creative Suite as regular software. From now on you will join the cloud subscription model or you will do without. CS6 products WILL NOT be updated.

Adobe has not said anything specific about Lightroom yet, but I have a really bad feeling about that too.

I am learning GIMP as we speak. Thank you, Adobe.

May 06, 2013 at 08:56 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Until last year I used LR exclusively, then Adobe announced the subscription pricing plan for CS6.
I couldn't afford or justify the outlay for CS6 as a piece of standalone software - around 700 in the UK. I can however afford the monthly subscription of 17 a month for a CS6 subscription.

May 06, 2013 at 09:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

They're betting on getting users in to this scheme for a few years and then owning them. Once you've paid hundreds of dollars towards renting the software, what are you going to do if Adobe doubles the price or stops innovating? If you don't pay, you have nothing. So you end up paying rather than losing the hundreds (thousands) that has already gone towards rent. There's no concern about the smaller users now, so why would they care later??

I never even though about looking at other software, but now I'm going to be studying up on all of the alternatives.

Sal

May 06, 2013 at 09:02 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

They already stopped innovating as far as I am concerned. Look at the new camera raw 8 features. You have to look hard to find them. Nothing has changed in camera raw 8 in regard to the rendering of raw files. Nothing new related to the debayering algorithm, sharpening, or noise reduction.

I see the Creative cloud as a way to get an increased revenue stream from lackluster updates. It used to be, if you were happy with CS3 and not impressed with CS4, you could just skip it altogether. Now, even if the updates are lame, you will be continually paying for them.

May 06, 2013 at 09:15 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Tragic for end users to be sure. The cost of renting cloud based software, particularly at the prices announced by Adobe and Microsoft, is a blatant move to rape and pillage their customer base. Particularly the many people who purchase a computer based package and use for for several years because they don't upgrade their cameras and have no need for the silly no value upgrades to functionality. The daily announcements by industry analysts that the desktop PC is dead due to the cloud is highly premature if the big software developers make moves like this.

Dave

May 06, 2013 at 09:21 PM
jph1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

No upgrades for CS. What about Camera Raw?

May 06, 2013 at 09:36 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

As i understand from the messaging, one can still buy CS6 as a stand alone product in a boxed version. The cloud offering is only for the suite. is this correct?

May 06, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

I'm just not going to "rent" software. Sorry Adobe, you've probably had your last penny from me. It's going to take something really awesome from you for me to look at your products again.

May 06, 2013 at 09:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

pjbishop wrote:
I'm reading that the (regular, not introductory, as they first offered it) price for Photoshop solo has apparently come down from the original $29 month to a more reasonable $19 - $240 yearly wouldn't be terrible, but $360 would be too much and I fear that Adobe already plans to creep the prices up on us after the first year. I'd like to keep up Creative Suite, but $600 a year is more than I want to invest for the convenience of having InDesign and Illustrator on board for occasional use.

I don't like the idea of subscription software as
...Show more

Yeah it's nuts. If you use Premiere Pro and Photoshop good grief will the cost be insane and you can never ever even give it up for a while if you need money for something else for some time or whatnot. Boom it's gone. Man I despise all this cloud stuff. It's ruining movie distribution too. Why is the internet so slow in the U.S.? Everybody is streaming hideously poor quality movies when that stuff is better served on high-quality, non-bandwidth robbing blu-ray and such.
And if they wanna yank a film or the rights get tangled or they only want a certain edition out there, etc. etc. oh well.

May 06, 2013 at 09:47 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

jph1 wrote:
No upgrades for CS. What about Camera Raw?

It's likely that Camera Raw updates for CS6 will end with CC7. Lightroom will be your only option.

May 06, 2013 at 09:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

BluesWest wrote:
Adobe's decision to force customers to their subscription services is an enormous opportunity for competitors. I hope one or more of them take that opportunity -- I'm ready to jump ship from Photoshop if the right product comes along.

John

I just may have to take a look at those Capture One Pro emails I keep getting.

For video it will be trickier but maybe the Sony product will come up to par.

May 06, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Adobe Photoshop & Creative Suite Subscription-only!

Cloud is the future, whether we like it or not. I don't, but it fights piracy extremely well. A lot of other industries are heading in that direction as well; other software, games, music, even TV shows and movies to an extent, etc.

The biggest issue for me is, is that internet is not really available/affordable everywhere. What if I have a long train or bus ride and want to watch or edit something? Or like my parents, who do not have internet at their house at all?

May 06, 2013 at 09:49 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password