Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

lara_ckl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

I recently found out from Purolator that they don't offer insurance on non-business shipments. If a lens or camera gets lost or damaged, they will handle the claim on a case-by-case basis.

I know that Canada Post don't cover if a lens got damaged as they are considered fragile. (They will cover if the lens got lost.)

Does any carrier within Canada offer damage insurance on lens or camera shipments? How do people ship their gear in for service?

May 06, 2013 at 05:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

Within Canada, I generally use Canada Post to ship lenses and cameras. Most often via Expedited with full insurance. I've never had the discussion about lost vs. broken, and I hope it never comes up (knocking on head), but if it does, I'll be tenacious. I use Purolator to send gear to Canon CPS Canada, because they give me free shipping vouchers. Sometimes I add insurance (as for 300/2.8L IS). I've never had somebody at Purolator or Canada Post tell me that lenses aren't insured for damage, even when the insured item is clearly described as a lens.

May 06, 2013 at 07:36 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

I shipped a lens using Canada Post. I bought additional insurance, and described the contents as a "camera lens". Canada Post happily took my money. The recipient claimed that the lens was damaged on arrival. I (not the recipient) had to make the insurance claim because, according to Canada Post, I was the one who bought the insurance. The claim, filed electronically, was dismissed within the hour because lenses are considered fragile item and are not insurable. That's my experience, YMMV.

May 06, 2013 at 09:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

lara_ckl wrote:
... I (not the recipient) had to make the insurance claim because, according to Canada Post, I was the one who bought the insurance...

Yes, that's right.

I pack mine well enough that they tend to get there undamaged. Here's one that I sent to an FM member in the US, a few years ago. The lens was undamaged. Photos courtsey of Mike B.

May 06, 2013 at 11:58 PM
hdavid

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

Canada Post Expidited with insurance. Can only do this in person or through flea-bay. Can't add additional insurance through online shipping. Don't know why. UPS works good as well, but won't be cheap. Won't use Purolator - sorry.

From the condition of the above package, someone needs to be held accountable.

May 07, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

hdavid wrote:
From the condition of the above package, someone needs to be held accountable.

Why bother? The lens, a Pentax 645 150/3.5, was completely untouched. It wouldn't be worth the effort to file a claim for the damaged box.

May 07, 2013 at 01:34 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

hdavid wrote:
Canada Post Expidited with insurance. Can only do this in person or through flea-bay. Can't add additional insurance through online shipping.

I used Canada Post Small Parcel service. I don't know if it has a different insurance policy as Expedited. But, as I mentioned above, while they took my money, they won't honor a claim. They said that their insurance does not cover damage to fragile items like camera lenses.

In other words, just because Canada Post took your money for insurance does not necessary mean you are covered.

May 07, 2013 at 03:11 PM
neilvan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

lara_ckl wrote:
In other words, just because Canada Post took your money for insurance does not necessary mean you are covered.

Well, just because you bought insurance doesn't mean you are covered for damage. Anytime I buy any type of insurance I ask to read the policy and/or ask clarifying questions.

In Canada, I usually ship via Expedited Parcel with insurance/signature and pack everything very nicely.

May 09, 2013 at 08:46 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shipping gear within Canada w insurance

Insure for loss...pack properly for damage. Loss is relatively easy to prove, damage, not so much. The lens or camera my have been damaged to start with, so the insurance company is unlikely willing to cover for that.

May 13, 2013 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password