Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

I am new to Nikon and am considering a standard zoom lens for my new D7100. Generally I would prefer a fast zoom and my bias would be towards wide angle vs tele. So that means something starting in 17 range. I like the idea of a smaller lens like the Sigma or Tamron but if the Nikon brand is worth the added size, I would go that route. Thanks for voting and for providing any other comments.

May 05, 2013 at 03:06 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

I went with the 17-55 based on the choices presented -- I think you would be happy with that lens. Back when I was shooting primarily DX bodies - I used a 28-70 as my primary zoom, but always found 28mm a bit narrow in Dx mode. So I paired it with a Tokina 12-24. But now with FX, I use the 14-24, 24-70 for wide shooting.

May 05, 2013 at 03:48 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #3 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

My alltime favorite lens:
AF-S Nikkor 28-300
I have two and use them with the D7100, D600, and D800

May 05, 2013 at 04:13 AM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #4 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

There is nothing like Nikon 16-85 vr. I have it since my D200, D300, D7K and now D 7.1. With D 7100 's high iso capabilities and auto focus sensitivity to f8 I don't feel need for a F 2.8 lense.
It just puzzles me why someone needs a big heavy expensive zoom with limited zoom ratio and no VR? Fast is a fashion statement or real need?

May 05, 2013 at 06:50 AM
evan47

p.1 #5 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

personally, i would go for a pair. the tokina 11-16 f2.8. plus the nikon 16-85 vr.

May 05, 2013 at 07:15 AM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #6 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

Patrick Cox wrote:
I am new to Nikon and am considering a standard zoom lens for my new D7100. Generally I would prefer a fast zoom and my bias would be towards wide angle vs tele. So that means something starting in 17 range. I like the idea of a smaller lens like the Sigma or Tamron but if the Nikon brand is worth the added size, I would go that route. Thanks for voting and for providing any other comments.

Also check out the new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. I hear it's a great lens.

May 05, 2013 at 01:01 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

tjny wrote:
It just puzzles me why someone needs a big heavy expensive zoom with limited zoom ratio and no VR? Fast is a fashion statement or real need?

Is this a real question?

What are you taking photos of? What are you going to do when you need shallow DOF? What are you going to do when you want to print a 16x20 or larger and don't want noise to show up? What about when you're shooting wide open AND at high ISO and still need a little extra shutter speed?

The capability of a camera to capture high ISO files hasn't eliminated the need for fast glass, or tripods, as Ken Rockwell would have you believe. Reduced, maybe, but that doesn't mean fast glass is "vanity."

Why not have a compact 16-300 f/5.6-8 lens? After all, your 16-85 pales in comparison to that zoom range, and f/5.6 is just for vanity anyway, right? Your camera will autofocus at f/8, and it can shoot at ISO 12800.

There are people who will select fast glass for vanity. I know a guy who spent roughly $10k on glass trying to make his photos better but didn't know enough to select an appropriate aperture for his composition. It's not reasonable to suggest that everyone's needs are for vanity, though.

May 05, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

tjny wrote:
There is nothing like Nikon 16-85 vr. I have it since my D200, D300, D7K and now D 7.1. With D 7100 's high iso capabilities and auto focus sensitivity to f8 I don't feel need for a F 2.8 lense.

Thanks for your reply. I would argue that the fashion in Nikon standard zooms right now is slow lenses because Nikon hasn't released a 2.8 standard zoom since 2007 (24-70.) I suspect this is due to the improvements in ISO as you have suggested. However right or wrong, I have no desire to shoot above ISO 1600/3200 and I could produce many images where I needed 2.8 and ISO 1600 to maintain a reasonable shutter speed. And I also do not like to use flash as my primary lighting for a scene. I can handle a little fill flash but beyond that I will pass. Indoor shooting is important to me so if none of the 2.8 zooms are desirable from an IQ standpoint, I would prefer to stick with a single fast prime. I still have the option to return my D7100 and pick up a D600 so maybe I should look at the FX options.

May 05, 2013 at 02:17 PM
big-e
• •
p.1 #9 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

tjny wrote:

+1

May 05, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

Patrick Cox wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I would argue that the fashion in Nikon standard zooms right now is slow lenses because Nikon hasn't released a 2.8 standard zoom since 2007 (24-70.) I suspect this is due to the improvements in ISO as you have suggested. However right or wrong, I have no desire to shoot above ISO 1600/3200 and I could produce many images where I needed 2.8 and ISO 1600 to maintain a reasonable shutter speed. And I also do not like to use flash as my primary lighting for a scene. I can handle a little fill
...Show more

For the purposes stated, I've always used either a sigma 18-50 f/2.8 or a nikon 28-70/24-70, not only for shutter speed/ISO/noise control, but for DOF control for portraits. I would not intentionally set out to use a variable aperture, slow lens for low light shots, especially photos of people.

Personally, I would not pick the d600 over the d7100, but that is primarily due to the AF system. If you're staying at reasonable ISO levels, such as the ISO 1600 you mentioned, I wouldn't see any reason to pay the premium for an FX camera.

My sigma is very old, bought in 2005, IIRC, so I am not familiar with the new offerings. I would suggest that if you're comfortable using 3rd party lenses, to buy either the sigma or tamron that suits your fancy, from a place like Amazon. That way, if the lens doesn't meet your needs/expectations, you can return it and pay the premium for the nikon version.

good luck
Kerry

May 05, 2013 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

I chose other. I have been through this very recently and ended up (on the third copy), buying and keeping the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro.

It has a decent macro capability, is very compact, seemingly very well built, fast and accurate AF, excellent OS, and other than being somewhat softer at the sides when shot at >f8 and 17mm, it is excellent in practically every other aspect and at all other FL's. Center sharpness is amazingly good, and the bokeh (such as it is at these apertures) is very pleasing. Colors and contrast remind me of the 17-55 Nikons we had too.

May 05, 2013 at 07:30 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

I have been very happy with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (the first version). Performance very similar to the 17-55 at a quarter of the price. If speed is not the first priority, I personally prefer a 16-85VR for the range and the stabilization, or one of the Swiss knives (18-200VR or 18-300VR) - they also allow some subject isolation (longer focal lengths). And I add a fast prime (35 or 50 or 28 1.8) if I need the speed.

Guy

May 05, 2013 at 07:34 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #13 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

binary visions wrote:
Is this a real question?

What are you taking photos of? What are you going to do when you need shallow DOF? What are you going to do when you want to print a 16x20 or larger and don't want noise to show up? What about when you're shooting wide open AND at high ISO and still need a little extra shutter speed?

The capability of a camera to capture high ISO files hasn't eliminated the need for fast glass, or tripods, as Ken Rockwell would have you believe. Reduced, maybe, but that doesn't mean fast glass is "vanity."

Why not have
...Show more
I considered all the stuff you have mentioned above. but 17-50/55 f 2.8 zooms do not give much in the way of bokeh or shallow DOF. You have all sorts of primes for that. Actually at 85 mm it has more subject isolation than any of those zooms.

None of the lenses mentioned above will do these shots

Hand held at 0.77 second

hand held at 1 second

16-85 vr at 85 mm f 6.3

May 06, 2013 at 06:00 AM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #14 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

Hey Patrick: please disregard my comments, I failed to notice your total posts at FM. As an experienced photographer you know what your needs are.

May 06, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

I've been using the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 and like it, but I checked the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS. The reason is I almost always am using a tripod, but if I didn't I would find the Sigma's OS very useful.

Kent in SD

May 06, 2013 at 12:55 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

tjny wrote:
I considered all the stuff you have mentioned above. but 17-50/55 f 2.8 zooms do not give much in the way of bokeh or shallow DOF. You have all sorts of primes for that. Actually at 85 mm it has more subject isolation than any of those zooms.

Sure, assuming that 85mm is an acceptable focal length for the situation.

I understand the benefits of VR, but showing a few images that the 17-55mm couldn't capture because it doesn't have VR is not relevant, since you could just as easily show shots that the 16-85mm couldn't capture because it doesn't have f/2.8.

There are times where the 16-85mm would be the best lens. There are times when the 17-55mm would be the best lens. So we work those situations out and arrive at the best lens for us.

I just have trouble with the mantra that high ISO is somehow a 1:1 substitute for a larger aperture.

May 06, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

binary visions wrote:
exactly! one would think this is merely common sense?

May 06, 2013 at 01:48 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #18 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

binary visions wrote:
tjny wrote:
There are times where the 16-85mm would be the best lens. There are times when the 17-55mm would be the best lens. So we work those situations out and arrive at the best lens for us.

I did mention in my response to OP "real need" ? for fast glass, but failed to realize that he is an experienced photographer.
There are plusses and minuses in all gear I just feel 16-85 vr has more pluses than other glass mentioned.

May 06, 2013 at 02:22 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.1 #19 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

I voted "other" meaning Nikon 16-85.

Compared it to Tamron 17-50 VC and Sigma 17-70 OS and for sharpness out to the corners (Landscape) the 16-85 ruled. If you wanted just central sharpness in a walk around lens the Sigma 17-70 was quite nice, but corners not so much.

Bill

May 07, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #20 · Which Standard Zoom for D7100?

DavidWEGS wrote:
I chose other. I have been through this very recently and ended up (on the third copy), buying and keeping the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro.

It has a decent macro capability, is very compact, seemingly very well built, fast and accurate AF, excellent OS, and other than being somewhat softer at the sides when shot at >f8 and 17mm, it is excellent in practically every other aspect and at all other FL's. Center sharpness is amazingly good, and the bokeh (such as it is at these apertures) is very pleasing. Colors and contrast remind me of the 17-55 Nikons we had
...Show more

+1

May 07, 2013 at 01:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password