Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

I don't really get the insistence on having IS on a normal range fast zoom (17-55 on crop or 24-70 on FF). I would love to be educated with photo examples of when this is needed. For me I want to keep shutter speeds at 1/125-1/250 in order to avoid subject motion blur and with my 5DIII and 24-70II I have plenty of ISO range to shoot this way in most situations. If it is too dark I reach for my L primes with the intention of keeping the shutters up. The only uses I can see for IS is to shoot 1/60 (can do this pretty well w/o IS) 1/30-1/15/-1/10. I can see this being useful for intentionally blurring a band or athlete to show motion or hand held city shots at night with no people, but I just don't get what else and these applications are so limited I am having a hard time understanding this strong insistence.

Please post example images with EXIF data to illustrate your love of IS.

Personally I wouldn't have wanted canon to sacrifice any IQ on the 24-70 II and happy they went w/o IS if it would have changed the final lens.

By normal range zoom with IS I mean 24-105 IS, 24-70 F4 IS, Tamron 24-70 on FF and 17-55 IS, 17-50 Tamron and sigma etc.

Thanks!

May 04, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

No examples to show (not at home). But IS on my 17-55 is brilliant . There are plenty of times where tripods are either not allowed or just not a reality to have around and you can still get excellent shots handheld at shutter speeds that would be impossible without

May 04, 2013 at 04:53 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

Horses for courses and tools for fools...

If I have the choice between a normal FL zoom with IS or without it?
Chances are I'm going to take the one with the added feature, provided
the image quality isn't seriously compromised.

May 04, 2013 at 05:20 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #4 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

but what kinds of shots (settings etc) do you find IS useful on?

May 04, 2013 at 06:32 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

saneproduction wrote:
I don't really get the insistence on having IS on a normal range fast zoom (17-55 on crop or 24-70 on FF). I would love to be educated with photo examples of when this is needed. For me I want to keep shutter speeds at 1/125-1/250 in order to avoid subject motion blur and with my 5DIII and 24-70II I have plenty of ISO range to shoot this way in most situations. If it is too dark I reach for my L primes with the intention of keeping the shutters up. The only uses I can see for IS is
...Show more

Not everyone always shoots moving subjects or shots with any people or animals in them at all.

Maybe you don't have time for a don't have a tripod with you and you want to take some scenic snaps along a hike. With IS maybe you can use ISO400 instead of ISO1600, etc. (Not sure the effectiveness of IS in the tricky wide-medium range though, does shutter slap cause problems and such??)

Museums usually ban tripods. Most stuff there doesn't move a whole lot (although you do need to watch out for select mummies).

Even for people sometimes you catch a still or posed moment and get something usable without go to ISO12,800 perhaps.

May 04, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

I have 7 Canon lenses; 6 have IS. Only my 50 does not have IS, because Canon refuses to offer it. I use IS constantly in dark travel situations:

The last picture, Goddess, could have been taken at ISO 200, using Canon 28mm f2.8 IS or 24-70 F4L IS.

Russian church icon, 5D2 50mm f1.6, 1/64 at ISO 3200

Russian cruise ship at night, no lights 5D2 100L macro 1/64 f2.8 ISO 3200

Chinese monastery 5D3 C/Y Zeiss 28 f2.8 at f4 1/125 ISO 6400

May 04, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

I had posted numerous shots of Yosemite trip using 24-105 as most used lens. I'd have no reservation using for event and walkaround. Looking forward to 35 IS someday.

May 04, 2013 at 07:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

saneproduction wrote:
I don't really get the insistence on having IS on a normal range fast zoom (17-55 on crop or 24-70 on FF). I would love to be educated with photo examples of when this is needed. For me I want to keep shutter speeds at 1/125-1/250 in order to avoid subject motion blur and with my 5DIII and 24-70II I have plenty of ISO range to shoot this way in most situations. If it is too dark I reach for my L primes with the intention of keeping the shutters up. The only uses I can see for IS is
...Show more

"Leaving Lembert Dome, Dusk"

I have written about this photograph at my blog (http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2008/07/30/leaving-lembert-dome-dusk-2"), so I'll keep the story short here. This is using the 24-105mm f/4 L IS at 1./5 second 32mm and f/4, handheld.

I'm almost exclusively a tripod shooter with subjects such as this. The light had run its course and I had completed my intended shooting for the evening and packed up to head down from this little peak, putting the camera and lens in a chest-harness bag and attaching the tripod to the outside of my pack.

As I crossed the granite slabs below the summit this lone hiker passed across the lower slabs in front of me as a surprise post-sunset glow briefly appeared. If I had dropped the pack to get the tripod out I would have missed the shot. If I shot handheld at 1/25 second and f/4 I would be pushing the lower boundaries of shutter speed, especially for serious work of this type. So I managed to squeeze off a few quick frames handheld at this low shutter speed with the IS lens and get this shot that I've since licensed.

Is IS indispensable? I can't say that. But is it useful to have? For me it most certainly is. If there is an IS option for a lens I'm considering or among a group of lenses that I'm looking at, I consider IS a worthy addition. There is really no serious downside - you can turn if off if you don't need it. (The notion that putting IS in a lens turns the lens into something not worthy is countered by the knowledge that some of Canon's best lenses - zooms and long primes - use IS.)

Dan

May 04, 2013 at 10:28 PM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #9 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

skibum5 wrote:
Not everyone always shoots moving subjects or shots with any people or animals in them at all.

May 04, 2013 at 10:59 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #10 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

It depends what you shoot
-as you say, it's not much use if your subject moves, and often you need to keep your shutter speed up to freeze subject motion

However there are times when it is useful, such as low light still scenes, and deliberately using a slower shutter speed to allow motion blur while keeping non-moving parts of the scene sharp (eg blurry water shots while hiking without a tripod, or blurring an athete's movement)

So it's a feature I'd like to have if it's offered.

There are several examples of the non-IS version of a lens being sharper than the IS version (eg 70-200 2.8 IS Mk 1 Vs the non-IS, or the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC Vs the non-VC)

- however recently Canon have shown that they can build lenses with IS with no IQ sacrifice (eg 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II or the 100mm 2.8 IS Macro)

Perhaps a 24-70 IS is a challenging optical design, however I do miss my 17-55 IS on full frame.

May 04, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #11 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

Some great comments thanks! Still not getting rid of my 24-70 II but I may add a 28 IS someday.

May 05, 2013 at 03:58 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #12 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

I have never used a normal length lens with IS but I can tell you that shooting the 70-200 II at 70mm and 1/5 of a second at night to capture buildings at ISO1600 is a pretty amazing feature to have. I can imagine that IS would be really useful to travel photography, where a tripod isn't practical to pack/is heavy to carry.

That said, I prefer to capture culture and humanity on my travels so I stick with a fast prime. Different strokes for different folks .

May 05, 2013 at 04:13 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #13 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

my feeling is Id rather have IS and not need it than need it and not have it. For the applications you are describing it's probably not terribly useful, however another advantage of IS is a steady viewfinder image which can aid in composition from time to time. Its also very useful if you happen to be married to a gal who complains the camera is too heavy

May 05, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #14 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

I had IS on both the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 and EF 24-105 f/4 before selling them and getting the new EF 24-70 f/2.8L II but so far I havn't missed it. Above 70-100 mm it is really useful in all kinds of light though.

May 05, 2013 at 09:48 AM
Richie S
• • •
p.1 #15 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

I just made a decision to get the Tamron 24-70 with VC over the Canon II. For me the decision was made by the fact that I have a young family and would like to shoot more video. There are a lot of times, like on family vacations, where this is not going to be with a tripod or rig.

I find with, say the 50L 1.2 that once you really have to get it wide open the plane of focus gets impracticality thin for many shots when you want more than a set of eyelashes in focus.

You may not use IS all the time, but there are a number of situations where it's good to have it.

May 05, 2013 at 12:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

Stoffer wrote:
I had IS on both the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 and EF 24-105 f/4 before selling them and getting the new EF 24-70 f/2.8L II but so far I havn't missed it. Above 70-100 mm it is really useful in all kinds of light though.

I have access to the new 24-70 and the 24-105. I like the 24-70 quite a bit, but I do miss the IS and the larger focal length range (and the slightly lighter weight) at times when shooting the 24-70.

May 05, 2013 at 04:07 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #17 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

You got the new 24-70 Dan? Happy you like it. I know that I was really suprised how much my images popped vs the 24-105 right out of camera at least. Still like the 24-105

May 05, 2013 at 05:53 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

saneproduction wrote:
You got the new 24-70 Dan? Happy you like it. I know that I was really suprised how much my images popped vs the 24-105 right out of camera at least. Still like the 24-105

Two of us share some lenses, so we ended up with the 24-105 and the 24-70 - a sort of best of both worlds scenario.

The 24-70 certainly provides top notch image quality, and f/2.8 has been useful to me for some low-light backstage shooting that I've been doing. The lack of IS isn't an issue when shooting from the tripod, which is what I do most of the time. I'm not thrilled by the need to have 82mm thread diameter filters. It is a big lens.

The 24-105 also provides excellent image quality - the 24-70 is "better" but both are excellent and I can make good sized prints from either. The IS and additional focal length range are very useful to me and I like that smaller weight/bulk. It requires more correction in post - though the images take it well - and my copy does exhibit the zoom creep issue.

Sometimes I'll take one. Sometimes I'll take the other.

I'll spend some time shooting in the backcountry this summer. When I backpack and carry the load on my back, I'm certain that I'll continue to use the 24-105. On the other hand, I may use pack animals for one trip and for that one I'll probably bring the 24-105.

Dan

May 05, 2013 at 08:35 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #19 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

The times I shoot a lens handheld that does not have IS, are times I realize just how shaky my hands have become over the years. I think IS is always a worthwhile addition to a lens all other things being equal, which they seldom are. I have both the 24-70 II and the 24-105. When choosing between the two lenses it often comes down to weight and how much I expect to shoot handheld at slower ss.

May 05, 2013 at 09:42 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Normal range zoom IS: Limited application or in-dispensable?

saneproduction wrote:
...Show more

That's the point, yo don't always have your L primes with you and let's say they are f/1.4 and 2 stops faster than the zoom, you have 4 stop IS, so could still get a much higher % of keepers with the zoom. It's an added feature that can be a life saver. I love how we have a combo of features now where we can use high ISO, so we can still get some DoF if needed and good IQ and IS, so we don't need ridiculously high ISO unless we are trying to freeze action in very low light and then you want the superfast aperture as well.

May 05, 2013 at 11:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password