Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

I have been using the Cinch 1 for about a year or so. it has served me quite well with a few mods of my own.
1- I have elastic covers over the larger machined alloy sliders to protect anything from coming in contact with them and be scratched.

2- I use a Custom SLR C-Loop to attach my strap to camera base rather then their options

I did want to purchase a second one.

Now Luma Labs always been to be a little slow at getting these out the door. in addition they were sized SML too. eventually they stopped delivery and put up the "we are reworking its design" sign. in the months gone by I wondered if they were going to actually come out of the design cycle as this is would be their 3rd strap design . well, they have. we now have available to us the Cinch 2.

the Cinch 2 looks similar but has been reworked quite a bit.
1- no more alloy parts (claimed they took too long to manufacture). these have been replaced by both composite and stainless steel.
2- webbing components are now modular so upon wear or damage can be replaced
3- a more universal fit in a single size
4- new composite AS based camera plate for those who have none.

looking at each change:
1 the composite/SS components: the new sliders (now mirror imaged symmetrically on both sides of the strap) are pretty nifty and beefy. they are made from and I quote what can be "best described as a ceramic-carbon polymer". that will warm the hearts of the tech savvy. the attach loops for the shoulder pad are mere Stainless Steel rod material. nicely finished too.

2- webbing: by going to the composite material LL can do a little funny business where the webbing attaches to the slider assys in the design. they have left a center cut out so the sewn webbing loops can be engaged and disengaged as needed which includes replacement with little to no chance of it coming out on its own w/o causing some alerting type pain to its wearer. this is not totally unique as it is available on other polymer based webbing components. here though, it is just plain smartly done.

3- universal fit: due to the 4 points of adjustment on the strap (2 on each side symmetrically) the fit is reasonably "universal" or sorta one size fits all. use of the slider on the chest side allows "cinching up" and reduces the chance of equipment from sliding around the body the same as the original cinch did.

4- the composite camera plate: included with the strap is the plate as an attach point for the setup. it has a few attachment options for the user. it is of the basic Arca Swiss design and made from the same composite the sliders are. it is robust in build, to a point, and fits my RRS leverlock w/o issue at this point in time. it has as I said multiple attach options but there is a weakness. none are what I would refer to as QR. they have available screw links that will attach but I do not consider it a viable option. the second issue is that the plate is made from a polymer based composite. this has the possibility of wearing faster over use/time vs alloy in and out of clamps. in addition the base screw is not truly captive. for me though its fairly irrelevant because I use a differing attachment assy.

so there is a first look at the Cinch 2. I still think its a better option then the others out there overall. in addition it is now $20 less in price too.

http://luma-labs.com/blog

sjms 2013

upper Cinch 1 lower Cinch 2 both w/Custom SLR C-Loop attachments

X20    15mm    f/10.0    2s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

sjms 2013

X20    9mm    f/8.0    1/105s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on May 04, 2013 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

May 04, 2013 at 03:52 PM
binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

I'm loving mine

Only thing I'm planning on doing is sewing a small length of webbing or neoprene to the shoulder strap, to create an attachment point for a small pouch. I want a place to be able to keep my GPS right now, but I figure a small piece of strap gives me an anchor point for other things in the future.

May 04, 2013 at 05:49 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

Thanks for the review. I will give this a try as I'm starting to get annoyed with my BR strap.

May 04, 2013 at 06:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

when snugged up there is definitely little swing in tight places.

May 04, 2013 at 06:12 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

I got my Cinch 2 and I gotta say that I am very happy with it compared to the blackrapid strap that I used previously. I also got a CustomSLR c-loop.

May 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

Enjoy. It makes for a very versatile setup working on just about any camera setup within reason.

addendum: the only real negative for me is that the gripper material is just a little to good at its job at times. so in contact with some other types of fabric it tends to be a bit more resistant to movement when wanted vs the older version. hopefully it will break in or down over usage/time.

May 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Matsu

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

Anyone using two of these together: one over each shoulder? I thought it might work, but have never tried one, let alone two. Cinch 1 was out of production by the time I discovered Luma Labs.

My idea was to simply clip them together at the back with a small piece of webbing through the stainless loop. This way they sit on the shoulders with nothing over the chest, a bit like suspenders, and they slip off. 24-70 on right hip, pointing down, 70-200 on left hip, cinched via the tripod foot.

Thoughts?

May 28, 2013 at 06:57 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

Clipping them together isn't going to work well, I don't think, and it seems to me that no scenario where the straps overlay each other is going to be effective.

Unlike the Loop (or the Black Rapid), the straps move when you bring the camera up - the strap itself rotates on your shoulder. Consequently, if you have the two straps attached, or one overlaying the other and you move the one on the bottom, you're going to be dragging the second one along for the ride. If they're not clipped together, I suppose you might get away with the two of them sliding against each other, but I think once the neoprene pad gets over the back of your shoulder, it's going to start interfering with the second strap.

May 28, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Matsu

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

Hmmm, that appears to be a problem. I thought maybe the weight of a camera on the other shoulder would hold it down so they don't ride up - provided you've loosened the camera enough to bring it to you eye. When using both, I'd probably let them hang so I can quickly grab one or the other. Just like the option of cinching them up in tight quarters.

Maybe Carryspeed is the only option that provides for dual carry and a cinch mechanism to tighten loosen straps on the fly, but it seems way too bulky in photos.

I wonder if it's possible to size a single piece of webbing to fit the Cinch - basically turning it into a slider, just one that can be tightened.

May 28, 2013 at 08:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

I started to respond earlier then realized I should just test it when I got home

I think you're going to run into problems. Chief among them being that the Cinch isn't one unified piece of material - with the items at rest, they will cross at a point that's made of nylon webbing. Nice, smooth material that would slide easily - except the metal bracket/leather gusset and the neoprene pad will grab onto the nylon at about the midway point of swinging the camera up to your face. If the strap were one big piece of a solid material, like the stock strap, it might be workable but I think two of these crossed will be snagging on each other.

It's not a problem that a big piece of webbing will solve - you'd have to remove the entire neoprene shoulder strap and hang it by a solid piece of material, basically destroying all the comfort the strap offers.

May 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Matsu

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

I think that the cinch might be the best single strap out there, but I don't like to have too much duplication or incompatibility between accessories, so if there were a way to deploy double cinches when needed, that could be a big help.

I had two separate thoughts about modifying them for that purpose, but I don't think I explained myself very well. Both would take advantage of the modularity of the strap though.

The first is very simple, just clip the two D-rings together at the back, either with a piece of webbing or a heavy duty Velcro tie-down. It would look like an X from the back, but the straps wouldn't actually overlap. Would have to see how this behaves when moving either camera up to the eye. They're essentially being worn as two separate over the shoulder straps, not cross body, the clip simply keeps them from falling off the shoulder.

The other idea could be employed on either a single strap or two, again without actually crossing them. In this case, however, we make greater use of the modularity of the strap. We remove all the webbing and the cinch glides. We're not going to use the webbing, but we are going to re-use the cinch glides by threading one continuous piece of webbing through the connector at each end and attaching them to the shoulder pad. Strap would remain adjustable front and back, but you would have to employ a swivel connector from another make to ride the loop. Either of BR, carryspeed or sunbounce. This would basically turn the cinch from a double point sling to a single point slider, more like the original loop, albeit a highly adjustable one.

My reasons for wanting to tinker so much are manifold. I think the two point sling is better for some camera+lens applications while the slider is better for others. As of yet there really isn't a product that offers flexibility in a low profile package. The double straps for Black Rapid, Sunbounce, and CarrySpeed especially, are just too bulky and paramilitary looking, especially across the chest. Holdfast's Moneymaker has an appropriate slim profile, but no cinching capability and is not separable for single camera carry - still very attractive. Optech also had a dual sling that doesn't encumber the chest or look like over padded swat gear, but it has other limitations.

May 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

Ah, okay, I understand your plans better.

I think you may be underestimating the size of the neoprene shoulder pad and how much it moves during use. I actually played with the strap a little last night, curious about what you were trying to do. You have to put a lot of slack into it in order to stop the shoulder pad from needing to rotate during use, but there is enough slack if you move both sliders. In my opinion, that would get pretty awkward, having to adjust both sliders every time you wanted to stop the camera from swinging around on your hip, but I tend to keep the camera really tight around my body so maybe that's not how you use it.

Haven't ever used a slider strap, so I can't comment on your other plans, except at a certain point you might be getting so far away from the original design that you may as well buy another strap or build your own. You could buy neoprene and nylon webbing at your local fabric store.

May 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

its a strap. it either works for you your way or it doesn't.

May 30, 2013 at 04:52 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

As a point of interest, I picked up a battery holster from OP/TECH:

http://optechusa.com/battery-holster.html

The loop on the back of the pouch is a perfect fit over the Cinch 2 neoprene. It's tight enough that it doesn't move on its own, but loose enough that you can readily move it by hand. It's the perfect size to store my Bluetooth GPS receiver.

I had actually planned to fabricate something myself, but honestly, designing it myself would have resulted in this exact configuration - it's really just what I was looking for. They make a media holster for cards if you want something a little smaller:

http://optechusa.com/media-holsters.html

Jun 06, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Jim Levitt
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

How does the Cinch2 differ in use from a regular camera strap? I didn't see anything on the LumaLab website demonstrating the Cinch2 in action. Sling straps I understand, but the Cinch2 isn't a sling. Is it meant to be worn on one shoulder, or across the chest?

The portion of the strap on the shoulder stays put, doesn't it? Or does it move when you pick up the camera? I'm looking for a two-camera solution, and was hoping for something that doesn't have me worrying about a strap falling off my shoulder while I'm using the other camera.

Jun 20, 2013 at 09:27 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

The Cinch is intended to be worn across the chest but functions just fine on one shoulder.

The real "difference" with the Cinch is the two sliding buckles. They allow for rapid and smooth shortening or lengthening of the strap as you wear it, meaning you can keep it tight to your body when moving around, then easily put in some slack to shoot with it.

The shoulder portion only stays put as much as any fixed length, non-slider strap is going to stay put. It moves around substantially when shooting with it, unless you've put a lot of slack into it.

edit: I'm confused. The website has three movies right on the front page demonstrating the Cinch. The first two demonstrate it "in action." You might want to go back and look.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM
bobradarbob

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

Question:

I have the original Luma Loop (their first strap product). I like the shoulder pad particularly. It has very good grip and really does stay put better than most anything I've tried. I got a second camera and was wondering if I should get the Cinch II. If anyone has input on the good grippyness of the shoulder pad on the Cinch II, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
bob

Jan 21, 2014 at 05:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Luma Labs Cinch 2

on the newer version (Cinch 2) has the ability to flip the pad over to allow it to be either grippy (which it is) or allow it to slide relative smoothly. so it can be used to taste. the newer one is a bit more modular so as webbing parts wear they can be replaced. I got one of the first C2's and the grip surface was way over the top so it stays reversed to the smooth side. I now have 3. 1 original and 2 C2. but they are the ones I use all the time.

Jan 21, 2014 at 01:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password