Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

This may be a totally off the wall question or hopefully other FM'ers have dealt with a similar problem
If I go on a photo trip, unless there is an Ocean or an entire Continent in the way..... I drive
That means no actual packing required - throw everything in the back of the 4Runner and go
It also means that I am gone from home and work twice as long as necessary every trip
I have a trip coming up later in the month and because of work responsibilities I have to bite the bullet and get on an airplane so I can limit my time away
I will have all my gear ( a lot ) in a big Gura Gear 30L bag
When I go to shoot each day I would like to simply back one of my camera bodies and some of my lenses into a smaller bag and leave the rest in my hotel room in the large Gura Gear bag.
Took awhile to get here, but here's my question....
Can anybody recommend a decent sized bag that when empty can be stored in my checked clothing bag for the flights and not take up too much room - but still be capable of fitting a full frame Nikon DSLR + 4/5 lenses? It would have to be capable of being pretty flat when packed in my suitcase
Thanks.

May 04, 2013 at 08:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

I pack various camera bags, Lowepro, Kinesis, Tamrac to use on location. Normally they are stuffed with gear, accessories and/or clothes. What style of bag and type of lenses are you bringing?

EBH

May 04, 2013 at 09:33 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

I was thinking a shoulder bag.
Lenses will be Nikon Zooms: 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, and a couple of primes

May 04, 2013 at 09:45 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

A TT shape shifter would hold the gear and does compress fairly flat. The only problem is that it's more a "transport" configuration and you wouldn't have a "ready to shoot" ability with it. Depending on your lens requirement it would/should hold a FF camera and 4 lenses.

The other option, like EBH stated, would be to fill the camera bag with items you're carrying in you bag, cloths, etc. If you're concerned about lint in the bag, simply place the clothing/items in plastic ziplock bags first.

May 04, 2013 at 09:46 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

Bearman, the Shapeshifter looks interesting, BUT based on my current investment in bags, I would prefer to spend less than that

May 04, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

I like the tamrac velocity10. It's a sling bag, quick access with a waist belt.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Tamrac+velocity10&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&rlz=1I7GZEU_en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UVuHUZHWNuWuiQf91IDQDA&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1667&bih=823

May 06, 2013 at 02:30 AM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

Another thought..i use 6million dollars bag..
I put that in my checked bag without any gears.. however not to wasts the space..i put my toiletry and rolled up t-shirt inside the bag

May 06, 2013 at 04:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

jojosung wrote:
Another thought..i use 6million dollars bag..
I put that in my checked bag without any gears.. however not to wasts the space..i put my toiletry and rolled up t-shirt inside the bag

I used to do the same thing but still it's a waste of bag space if you're packing tight. Now I stuff my 6MDH inside my daypack and carry it onboard. There's enough room left over for a jacket, iPad and assorted nicknacks. If I need more room on the return flight, I pull the 6MDH out and stuff the daypack since most flights allow 2 carry-ons.

May 07, 2013 at 04:08 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

A Timbuk2 Snoop can fold pretty much flat, at least if you configure the dividers to allow it. The bag is all just fabric (no padding), with a removable padded insert that is relatively soft, it is much easier to fold flat than my Crumpler 4MDH or Think Tank Speek Freak.

There would be almost enough room for what you propose in the small, but it would be full; I keep a Canon 6D with 24-105/4 mounted, 70-200/2.8, 17-40/4, 85/1.8, and 50/1.8 in mine, and that's about all that will fit; I actually use the insert only in a larger computer messenger bag, so there's some extra space if I need it. You might want the medium size.

May 07, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

My Billingham 107 perfectly fits inside an international sized roller carryon, with room to spare for a zippered bag into which goes all my cables, chargers, other electronics. In the outside sleeve of the roller goes a laptop.

May 07, 2013 at 06:18 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

I never put my DSLR + stuff in my suitcase... from what I hear about those TSA agents, some of them open up your suitcases and steal expensive items. Always on my single or double carry-on (one carry-on within the dimensions allowed, and a "personal item," which is always another tote or duffel bag.

May 09, 2013 at 12:14 AM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Packing an extra camera bag in your suitcase?

I have an upcoming trip that will require me to pack a bag in a bag. For my needs I decided to pack a TT Streetwalker Pro inside of a Lowepro Roller that I use as a suitcase. I'll only need the Streetwalker Pro for part of my trip. So, it will be filled with anything but photo equipment during the flights, placed inside the Lowepro Roller, and checked. I always carry-on my photo equipment for flights. But, it sounds like the Shapeshifter might be more what you are looking for.

May 10, 2013 at 08:06 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.