Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Through The Cavity

troylim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Through The Cavity

~shot taken straight down into the nest, the owl was illuminated by a torch light through the cavity. 1/40, f/4, ISO3200

May 03, 2013 at 10:35 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Through The Cavity

Neat perspective Troy. You've certainly had lots of fun at this site, thinking of all the angles.

May 03, 2013 at 10:40 PM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Through The Cavity

KCollett wrote:
Neat perspective Troy. You've certainly had lots of fun at this site, thinking of all the angles.

Thank you. There are more to come, found another nest.

May 03, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Through The Cavity

Cool perspective, Troy
Socrate

May 03, 2013 at 10:50 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Through The Cavity

That's one scared looking chick.....I don't think this is a good idea

May 04, 2013 at 03:55 AM
colincarter46
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Through The Cavity

not necessary, and probably illegal, at least it would be over here in the UK.

not good practice at all

May 04, 2013 at 11:01 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Through The Cavity

nice shot Troy

May 04, 2013 at 02:45 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Through The Cavity

Troy, I am a big fan of your shots. While this one is also very nice, please do read about the possible results of using flash on owls . As Randy stated this guy looks very scared .

Owls/ Flash

Thanks,
Birdie

May 04, 2013 at 07:06 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Through The Cavity

Super image Troy

Morris

May 04, 2013 at 07:43 PM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Through The Cavity

birdied wrote:
Troy, I am a big fan of your shots. While this one is also very nice, please do read about the possible results of using flash on owls . As Randy stated this guy looks very scared .

Owls/ Flash

Thanks,
Birdie

Birdie, thank you.
Obviously during day-time when the retina is light adapted a brief photoflash may not even disrupt the state of retinal adaptation.
The image was created in the afternoon, nowhere near night time.
Only a series of shots were taken during a short period of time, so according to the the article, the owl had plenty of time to adjust as it was not taken at night time. Out of focus area was outer part of the nest, that tells you that it was in the direct light. The owl was not old enough to hunt on its own and still rely on the parents for food. I have been following this family for two weeks, the other two siblings fledged a few days before and my friend and I were making sure the survival of this youngster.
Like I said again, people made assumptions and no know nothing about how this images was made, how was long the flash light was used, they just jumped to conclusion based on what they think they know. I personally don't believe what I did was any worse than calling the bird or baiting like he great gray owl images that we have seen lately.

I never had the intention to harm the bird, I just wanted to capture an image that we normally don't see. I'm happy to tell you that this youngster joined the parents a week ago in Wednesday. We all witnessed it that evening.

May 04, 2013 at 08:01 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Through The Cavity

Thank you Troy. You're right, I had no idea how you took the image, nor did I assume it was done at night or day.
In case you were not aware of possible issues with flash , just wanted to send you the link . No insult intended
and no assumptions made as to your intent. I never thought you had any intention to harm the bird.

However, we sometimes are not aware how our actions affect the animals. The link was meant only as a means of information and education for any who would take the time to read it. Each can make their own decisions with what to do with the information ,the same as they do in regards to baiting . I am a firm believer that we can make better decisions the more information we have . That is one of the reasons I am always asking questions on this board

Birdie

May 04, 2013 at 09:42 PM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Through The Cavity

birdied wrote:
Thank you Troy. You're right, I had no idea how you took the image, nor did I assume it was done at night or day.
In case you were not aware of possible issues with flash , just wanted to send you the link . No insult intended
and no assumptions made as to your intent. I never thought you had any intention to harm the bird.

However, we sometimes are not aware how our actions affect the animals. The link was meant only as a means of information and education for any who would take the time to read it. Each
...Show more

Birdie

I really appreciate you taking time to share the article. My previous response was to answer the responses in general. It was not meant for you. No offense taken at all, like I said, most people have never created shots from that angle, people made assumptions based on their knowledge on photography.

Here is my response to Colin's assumptions on Nikon Cafe:

Yes it was taken [B]near[/B] the nest, not right [B]at[/B] the nest like you assumed. Since you said it was obvious, do you want to tell me how this was done?

I can tell you how this image was made.
It was taken with a mid range zoom. It was shot straight down into the cavity, from a higher angle. The out of focus part was the outer part of the nest. The height of the nest is about 3 ft tall and I was shooting about 6 ft away from the subject.

This photo illustrates how I got one of the images of the owl by selection my angle and BG. While this is not the actual picture of how I achieved this image, it will give you an idea of what I had to do to get my best series of screech owl images. For you to make those personal attacks based on your assumptions is just a slap to my face. I have done enough explaining and I will refrain from commenting on your responses. Good luck to you.

May 04, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Through The Cavity

Very interesting and unusual shot Troy. And a great link from Birdie - learn something every day.

However Troy I do think (based on the reaction on the other site) that you could have pre-empted some of the criticism, and your frustration at that criticism, by a fuller explanation of how this was achieved and showing us the full set up (both of which you have done later in this thread and so quickly cooled the ire I felt too)

That information and ladder shot makes the post so much more interesting than just the shot by itself.

Cheers.
Kevin

May 04, 2013 at 10:34 PM
colincarter46
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Through The Cavity

troylim wrote:
Birdie, thank you.
Obviously during day-time when the retina is light adapted a brief photoflash may not even disrupt the state of retinal adaptation.
The image was created in the afternoon, nowhere near night time.
Only a series of shots were taken during a short period of time, so according to the the article, the owl had plenty of time to adjust as it was not taken at night time. Out of focus area was outer part of the nest, that tells you that it was in the direct light. The owl was not old enough to hunt on its own
...Show more

you dont nomally see this type of shot because, hopefully, most people have the sense not to take it.

May 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM
pesto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Through The Cavity

I whole heartedly agree. We suould be advocates of Nature and not abuse or exploit our subjects...no malice intended, just my opinion.

DAB.

RandyR wrote:
That's one scared looking chick.....I don't think this is a good idea

May 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Through The Cavity

Not a great shot as far as esthetics. Interesting however. I think many fellow photographers are over critical of how we take images and "supposed" harm caused to the animals. As a group we promote wildlife conservation and awareness far more than we cause harm. I know you love these creatures; that's why you love this hobby.

Don

May 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Through The Cavity

All I could say is I thank you all for your opinion. Not many people have this type of opportunity. I took advantage of the situation without causing harm to the birds. I wanted to show the environment inside the cavity. If this doesn't fit your style of shooting, just don't do it. I don't see how this type of image is doing more harm than people using call or the shots taken using bait.

May 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Through The Cavity

Putting a ladder against a tree and shining a light into a nest is not an opportunity.....you did take advantage

Sorry Troy but there is no way to paint this as remotely acceptable behavior

May 13, 2013 at 07:09 PM
troylim
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Through The Cavity

RandyR wrote:
Putting a ladder against a tree and shining a light into a nest is not an opportunity.....you did take advantage

Sorry Troy but there is no way to paint this as remotely acceptable behavior

Thank you Randy for your opinion. Apparently we both have our own shooting style and different in our opinion.
Putting a ladder against the tree to get shot is what I called working harder for my shots.

May 13, 2013 at 07:25 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Through The Cavity

troylim wrote:
Thank you Randy for your opinion. Apparently we both have our own shooting style and different in our opinion.
Putting a ladder against the tree to get shot is what I called working harder for my shots.

That is such a rationalization Troy I am amazed to her it coming from you.
There are so many scenarios where this could have been a disaster, for you, the chick, or the parents.

And that is not a shooting style Troy, it is simply doing whatever is necessary to get the shot with no regard to nature

May 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.