New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

PGcanond20
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

I love using the Zeiss prime lenses. I blow up the LCD to enlarge the square, but still....The camera shakes using this method, don't want to always use monopod/tripod, and it's also hard to tell on the LCD without enlarging an area.

How do the LCD viewfinders work? Anyone use them and feel like they're helpful? Without something to help with the eyesight it makes me worship autofocus lenses, but they're not Zeiss primes. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

May 03, 2013 at 03:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

You can use a Zacuto Z-Finder to provide an excellent view of the LCD on a DSLR, while also getting a much steadier handheld setup, as the camera is steadied against your noggin.

http://store.zacuto.com/Z-Finder-Pro-2.5x-for-3.2-Screens.html

May 03, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

PGcanond20 wrote:
I love using the Zeiss prime lenses. I blow up the LCD to enlarge the square, but still....The camera shakes using this method, don't want to always use monopod/tripod, and it's also hard to tell on the LCD without enlarging an area.

How do the LCD viewfinders work? Anyone use them and feel like they're helpful? Without something to help with the eyesight it makes me worship autofocus lenses, but they're not Zeiss primes. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

The external monitors (large LCD viewfinders as you call them) have several features built for video use that aid in manual focusing. In video work as your subect changes distances you have to manually track this focal length change, a process called focus follow. This can be challenging and often there is a dedicated camera assistant who is dedicated to this task alone. The monitors have features that make this task easier; one of the main features is called focus peaking. Its where the part of the image that are in focus change color of the edges or highlighting, making it easier to quickly establish the in-focus parts. For example check out the feature called "focus assist plus" in the software of the Small HD DP4
http://www.smallhd.com/products/dp4-evf/software.html

The 4" DP4 can also be purchased with an EVF style eyepiece, which may fit your use.
http://www.smallhd.com/products/dp4-evf/buy.html

High resolution and larger screens compared to the 3" Canon LCD, are also advantages that can be features of these external monitors. However, they require the use of the camera's HDMI output. For manual focus with Canon tilt/shift lenses, I use the DP6 which has a true HD resolution of 1280 X 800. Better resolution certainly helps nail the focus.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

Competitive products are also made by Ikan, Marshall, Sony and others, and all have different versions of focus peaking.
Mike K

May 03, 2013 at 07:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

Hi Mike,

You're absolutely right about the utility of an external HD monitor. I have a SmallHD DP6 for tilt-shift and macro shooting. It's great. OTOH, it doesn't work so well for the OP's desire to use a handheld setup...

PGcanond20 wrote:
... don't want to always use monopod/tripod, ...

Jim

May 03, 2013 at 07:20 PM
PGcanond20
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

Thanks everyone, very helpful information. I didn't realize I could purchase after market focus peaking software. I'm really liking the looks of the 4"DP4.

May 04, 2013 at 06:50 AM
PGcanond20
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

The DP4 vs the DP6? The DP6,7 would series would require a tripod/monopod? Whereas the DP4 would not?

thanks in advance...

May 04, 2013 at 06:57 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LCD, how to see it better, Manual Zeiss Lenses on 5DIII

Yes, the DP6 or DP7 can be a bit awkward without a tripod, as their size/weight makes them flop over more easily when moving vigorously. However many videographers do use these larger external monitors handheld, usually with dedicated frames to attach camera, monitor, focus follow, etc.

The DP4 has the eyecup to hold up to your face and helps stabilize the camera and monitor when handheld. Quite a variety of set ups shown here
http://www.smallhd.com/gallery/
There are many competitive external monitors with the resolution of the DP4 that feature variations of focus peaking.
Mike K

May 06, 2013 at 01:33 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.