Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 300mm f/2.8 teleconverter test

jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300mm f/2.8 teleconverter test

I recently picked up a 300mm f/2.8. I ordered the mk III teleconverters for it, but in the time that it took for them to get to me I ended up picking up a new Kenko pro 1.4x and a Canon 2x mk II to test them against planning on keeping which ever ones did best - considering cost after IQ if they were equal or too close to call. I had all 4 teleconverters with me today and ran a couple quick tests.

I really only cared about the center IQ with teleconverters, so I didn't do any edge crops. All images were taken on a tripod/ballhead combo with mirror lock-up and a remote (crappy weather and light), ISO 400 on a 1d mk III. I used autofocus (none of the combos were micro adjusted). The only oddity was that the kenko metered slightly (maybe 1/3 a stop) brighter than the canons. Should have used manual mode. Oh well.

Here's the test. First shot is the bare 300 2.8. No need to show a 100% crop there, it's ridiculously sharp. The rest are all 100% crops from the center of the image. First up is the kenko pro 1.4, then the Canon 1.4x III, then the Canon 2x II and finally the Canon 2x III. All used the same standard import settings in Lightroom 3.

Nothing groundbreaking really, just something else to pass a Friday afternoon .

May 03, 2013 at 07:36 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300mm f/2.8 teleconverter test

Here's a MA adjustment test with the 2x III. Batteries are offset by around a half an inch. No adjustment needed.

May 03, 2013 at 08:57 PM
_SBS_
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300mm f/2.8 teleconverter test

Which tcs did you keep? Intrested in the same setup vs 500 v1.

May 14, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300mm f/2.8 teleconverter test

I have not been happy with my 300f2.8 and TC 1.4 III at longer distances when tracking. At MFD and up to about 30 feet the subject is sharp at longer distances when tracking its not so good. I need to spend more time testing it but after a number of outings i can honestly say i would rather shoot with a bare 300 and crop than with the 1.4 III.

May 14, 2013 at 09:24 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300mm f/2.8 teleconverter test

I would not expect the center points to show much difference, its edge sharpness and CA's that will be different.

If you don't care about those things, use the lowest priced one. they are certainly all pretty good.

May 14, 2013 at 09:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password