Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35 repair time?

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 35 repair time?

I live in Florida, going to send in my Sigma to the repair station located in Georgia. I know I'm not the first to send in the lens, just wondering what the turn around time is for someone who already did it.

I'd exchange it, but I'm past my 14 day from 47th Street photo. Next time I'll just be patient and order from BH or Adorama like I always do.

And for anyone wondering, my issue is center is usually pretty sharp, nothing extraordinary. Outer AF points are unusable. Left being slightly worse than the right. I've spend the better part of 4 hours testing my other lenses today so I know for a fact it's not either camera body.

May 02, 2013 at 08:41 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 35 repair time?

I'm about to send mien in there as well and I am about 15 min down the street from that location in Duluth GA.

I have used them before on my old Sigma 85 and 50 1.4 in the past. they are generally pretty quick about a week.

Are you sending in your body as well? they are going to insist you do that but for the 35mm issues i think we just need to ask for the Firmware update which should resolve the outer focus point issues.

At least thats what i am going to tell them.

I'm literally going to just say please update firmware of sigma 35 1.4 to latest firmware to resolve outer focus point issue where lens back/front focuses when using outer focus points on camera..

they should be able to test the lens on a stock camera they have there and see the outer focus point issue and then test again after firmware update to see if is gone.

May 02, 2013 at 08:57 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 35 repair time?

Well if it's just a firmware thing, that would be amazing. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending in my body if I didn't absolutely have too. It would kind of be like sending a sigma lens to nikon, just feels weird and wrong. A week isn't bad. The reason I was asking is due to the fact I could really use the lens next week. I guess I'll just use the center point and recompose. After the event I'll send it in. Thanks nextelbuddy.

May 02, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 35 repair time?

attaching a sigma lense to a nikon is what's wrong.

May 02, 2013 at 10:03 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 35 repair time?

Zebrabot wrote:

do you just enjoy trolling?

May 02, 2013 at 10:41 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 35 repair time?

BenV wrote:
Well if it's just a firmware thing, that would be amazing. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending in my body if I didn't absolutely have too. It would kind of be like sending a sigma lens to nikon, just feels weird and wrong. A week isn't bad. The reason I was asking is due to the fact I could really use the lens next week. I guess I'll just use the center point and recompose. After the event I'll send it in. Thanks nextelbuddy.

from my understanding thats what the fix SHOULD be and the fact that there is a firmware update and we need it but cant do it with out the USB dock..

if they find anything else wrong with the lens they should be able to work on that as well.

Just put in your case that your lens focuses fine using center point focus only but back/front focuses when using outer focus points.

Also mention that the lens back/front focuses when focusing on subjects < 6 feet away as well (i know mine does)

anything to get them to put the lens on a camera and throw it on their lens align machine.

May 02, 2013 at 11:47 PM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 35 repair time?

Zebrabot wrote:

C'mon dude...
Did you confuse you dprev!iew bookmarks?

May 03, 2013 at 02:32 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 35 repair time?

Ben don't mind the trolls... Why don't you wait for the USB dock and see how that works? It's gonna cost almost as shipping & insurance. I heard some folks sent their 35 1.4 along with their D800s and they came back perfect with all focus points.

May 03, 2013 at 03:33 AM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 35 repair time?

I spoke to Sigma tech support and very helpful about my 35mm I just bought and it's very soft. If you are able to walk in they can have it done in 5 hours so same day, if you ship it there is up to a 5 day turnaround so not that bad I guess. I need to send mine in with the camera body so it can be calibrated.

May 03, 2013 at 01:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 35 repair time?

hijazist wrote:
Ben don't mind the trolls... Why don't you wait for the USB dock and see how that works? It's gonna cost almost as shipping & insurance. I heard some folks sent their 35 1.4 along with their D800s and they came back perfect with all focus points.

I'm tempted to wait for the dock, I already have one preordered along with the sigma 120-300. But that won't be out for a few more weeks. I'll just bite the bullet and send it in next week. I figure I'll just take my chances with the repair station than the USB dock. At least I know at the station, it'll get fixed. The dock is a toss up.

May 03, 2013 at 02:09 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 35 repair time?

It is not a firmware fix according to the tech I spoke to.

May 03, 2013 at 11:22 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 35 repair time?

Is this an early model 35 1.4?

May 06, 2013 at 05:45 PM
pcrit
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 35 repair time?

Mine was a new one, just got from adorama a few weeks ago and it's very soft.

May 06, 2013 at 06:23 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 35 repair time?

MRomine wrote:
Is this an early model 35 1.4?

Yeah, I had it preordered

May 06, 2013 at 08:10 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 35 repair time?

pcrit wrote:
It is not a firmware fix according to the tech I spoke to.

I'll be sending it in on Friday, so when it gets back I'll let everyone know the 'diagnosis'

May 06, 2013 at 08:11 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 35 repair time?

Well for anyone who cares, I sent my lens out Tuesday, scheduled to arrive Thursday to the repair facility in NY. Got a call this morning from the tech asking me which body it was used on, and that it was being worked on. Pretty good if you ask me. Working on it the same day it was delivered.

May 16, 2013 at 09:47 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 35 repair time?

I received a few PM's about my situation. For anyone in a similar situation, the turn around time was very impressive. About a week or so from the day I shipped it out. Much better than I expected.

May 30, 2013 at 02:40 PM
ash4390
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 35 repair time?

I've sent mine out for repair... what irks me is that I have to ship mine across the country for repair (Vancouver to Ontario). Cost me close to $100 for insured shipping, sigh.

May 30, 2013 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password