Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Ed Swift
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on what would be the best option for an upgrade.

Probably like most people here it seems like every couple of years I feel the need to upgrade due to issues I discover. E.g. went from the 1000d to the 40d due to wanting better AF and FPS. Now having started going to ice hockey Iím stuck at ISO 3200 which is (for my uses) ok even for print, but it would be nice to have the benefit of new sensors to make this or slightly higher not feel like a compromise and allow faster shutter speeds. Also both of my primes 50mm/1.8 and 300mm/4 have slight focus issues (Yes Iíve tested them on tripod etc) so AMFA is a must.

Iím after a body which will last me for a good number of years without feeling like I need to upgrade (I can ignore just wanting new toys) so I think any of the higher current/new line up would fit the bill

While Iím a big fan of wildlife shots, the majority of my photos are landscape based. This leaves me in a bit of a predicament between a few options:
1) 5d3 Ė from what Iíve read/seen. Itíll do everything exceptionally well. Other than being a little focal length limited, Iíd be able to just use this body for all situations. Will still have 40d if I really need it.
2) 6d Ė Bit of a wildcard as the AF system doesnít seem *that* great with only one cross type but I mainly just use centre point at the moment anyhow. As with 5d3, focal length limited.
3) 5d2 Ė if there are any still available in a few monthsí time. AF & ISO apparently issues, but again, I presume theyíd still be better than my current kit.
4) 7d (or whatever the replacement is if/when it comes out in future) Ė Great for sports/wildlife, crop body so would also invest in a 10-20mm-ish lens. Specifically for 7d have seem complaints about high ISO, but then it should still be better than my current bodies, newer one should be better.

With the full frame options Iíd be buying a 24-105 kit as I think my 28-105 mkII would be a big let-down and my 18-55 IS obviously wonít fit.

I guess the real question is if one isnít a professional, is there any real point in spending the extra on full frame vs crop + wide angle? I donít really take portraits so in my opinion the ability to fully take advantage of shallow DOF isnít too important, but the bigger pixels could be.

Sorry for the similarity of other Ďwhat bodyí threads, but so far my reading hasnít helped me make up my mind.

I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance.
Ed

May 02, 2013 at 01:58 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Well, you'll get tons of advice.... I think indoor sports is the main factor in your choice. Also how much you do it, how serious you are about it, and how much cash you have.

If you are into indoor sports and want the best performer in your list, I would get the 5dIII. Certainly if you are fine with using just the center point for auto focus, the 6D or 5D2 would work and cost less allowing you to save money or spend it on a lens or flash. I haven't used the 7D, but I think for low light indoor sports, you'd probably want to pass on this camera body. The 24-105 is a great all purpose lens. Not sure how the 300 f4 would work as an indoor hockey lens. You'd need input from those with experience with indoor sports. Certainly these are all great camera bodies that have their comparative strengths and weaknesses, which can be subtle to insignificant at times for some individuals.

Edited on May 02, 2013 at 02:19 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2013 at 02:12 PM
tgrantster

p.1 #3 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

In the same vote as you Ed. I'm holding my breath until the 7D replacement comes out. If it disappoints the price the 5D Mark III will hopefully have dropped a bit. On my way to Japan next summer and thanks to the weak yen I've set aside a couple thousand for a camera purchase while I'm there.

May 02, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Being that you are an infrequent up-grader, I think you should get the best body you can afford. That would probably be the 5D3. Coupled with the 24-105L, you should see radical improvement in your images.

6D will also offer you significant image improvement, albeit at lower cost and smaller size.

Have fun with your new gear!

May 02, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #5 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

dgdg wrote:
Well, you'll get tons of advice.... I think indoor sports is the main factor in your choice. Also how much you do it, how serious you are about it, and how much cash you have.

Thanks dgdg, I'm an amateur, so it's purely a hobby. As for how much cash; as much as it takes. At this point in time i can afford the 7d, but if saving goes to plan I will hopefully be able to afford the other options at some point soon.

I've used the 70-200/4 for hockey with no problems. Well obviously my shots are not as good as most folks on here but i think that's down to me! As such I think the 300/4 should do me fine for some time.

Flash wise I'm ok with my 430ex; for the rare times it is used it does the job. But any saving that doesn't leave me wanting more will be good so if the 5d2 or 6d will fit the bill that's great!

tgrantster, let me know what you decide.

May 02, 2013 at 02:36 PM
tgrantster

p.1 #6 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Will do brother. 2 things important to me are low noise at high ISO and accurate AF.

Also kinda thinking about either a used 1D IV or a 1Ds Mark III. I'll probably buy used though...it's more forgiving because if I get something that doesn't meet my needs I can probably sell it for close to what I paid.

May 02, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #7 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Gunzorro wrote:
Being that you are an infrequent up-grader, I think you should get the best body you can afford. That would probably be the 5D3. Coupled with the 24-105L, you should see radical improvement in your images.

6D will also offer you significant image improvement, albeit at lower cost and smaller size.

Have fun with your new gear!
Thanks Gunzorro, That's a little bit what I was thinking. I'm aiming to get something that will last me at least 4/5 years and hopefully (bar breaking or loosing it) a lot longer than that. I bought my first body new, second one second hand so I feel I've got my monies worth but I'd like to make the right choice for everything this time.

tgrantster, I was also wondering about the 1DIV as well but thought the cost is about that of the new 5d3 (i think) so may as well get the newer one.

May 03, 2013 at 08:02 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Just get a 5D3 and you won't need to upgrade for years and years, it's an absolutely exceptional camera. The kit with the 24-105L is probably your best bet.

May 03, 2013 at 08:14 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #9 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

If money is no object I think the 5D3 is the obvious choice. However, if money is an issue I think that any of the mentioned bodies will work well for you. I shoot a 7D and added a 6D about a week ago. The 7D is a great camera that will suit you well. Yes there is noise at high ISO but I have shot HS football games with it and gotten decent results and we all know how poorly those are lit. I have not shot a hockey game but the games I have been too I thought the lighting was decent and I have seen many shooting it with 70-200 f4's so your 300 should work fine. Considered a used 1DIII?

May 03, 2013 at 08:40 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #10 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Thanks Dh,

Rebel, have you tried the 6d for sport yet? It'll take a while to get the cash for the 5d3; hopefully not too long.

The rink where I've been shooting is ok, iso 3200 SS about 320-400 sometimes more but there are some dark spots where the camera seems to need more time to decide what to do in TV mode so the shots are a tad too dark.

With the 1D3 being the same processors as in my current camera I'm not sure I'll necessarily get the big step forward that I am looking for but I'll have to investigate that more.

rebelshooter wrote:
If money is no object I think the 5D3 is the obvious choice. However, if money is an issue I think that any of the mentioned bodies will work well for you. I shoot a 7D and added a 6D about a week ago. The 7D is a great camera that will suit you well. Yes there is noise at high ISO but I have shot HS football games with it and gotten decent results and we all know how poorly those are lit. I have not shot a hockey game but the games I have been too I thought
...Show more

May 03, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

I'd recommend the 5D III also. I had a 7D, and my experience was that there was noise not only at high ISOs, but at any ISO. The general quality of the image was significantly lower than that of the 5D II I had, to boot.

May 03, 2013 at 12:44 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #12 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I'd recommend the 5D III also. I had a 7D, and my experience was that there was noise not only at high ISOs, but at any ISO. The general quality of the image was significantly lower than that of the 5D II I had, to boot.

Exactly right. I was so surprised at the 7D noise after my 5Dc. Ended up selling it and now got a 5D3, couldn't be happier.

May 04, 2013 at 01:47 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

5DIII would fit the bill perfectly BUT I would suggest firming up your lens selection first before buying the body.

e.g. 85 1.8 or 135f2 or 300 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8II may do wonders on your current body. If you are sure that lens selection is going to stay as is, then 5DIII would be the way to go with the kit 24-105

May 04, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #14 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Thanks Ernie, Mark, that certainly helps the decision, and possibly gives me an even cheaper option of buying a used 5d or 5d2 should it come to it.

Thanks thedutt, I'd not thought about new lenses for two reasons a) I'm generally happy with mine (50 f1.8, 18-55mm IS plus 28-105 II the last not being so good); the 70-200 f4 might not be as good as the 2.8 but the weight saving and its quality are perfectly good for my needs. b) I don't think there is any point getting more primes based on the focus issues I've been having.

May 04, 2013 at 09:48 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #15 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

No I have not used the 6D for sports yet. Kept the 7D for that. Actually the 1DIII is not the same sensor as it is an APSH as opposed to an APSC. Bigger pixels should be better at noise.

May 04, 2013 at 10:58 PM
aladyforty
• • •
p.1 #16 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

1DIII is awesome in lowish light for sports, as long as you have a lens long enough as its only 10 mega-pixel. I have a 7D, a 5DII and the 1DIII. at high ISO I'm not that keen on my 7D but the other two are fine

May 05, 2013 at 12:24 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #17 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

With used 5D2s going up for sale for $1100 in the buy/sell forum - why not pick up one of those with less than 50,000 shutter actuations for 1/3 the price of a 5D3? If you're primary use is for landscapes, it is just as good at the 6D and 5D3. As far as high ISO shooting, it is still able to hold more detail than you will need up to ISO6400. The 5D3 is about a half stop better than the 5D2 at ISO12800, and a full stop better at ISO25600 in my eyes. The 7D doesn't even compare with the 5Ds or 6D at higher than ISO3200.

That said, it sounds like you are shooting indoor sports (ice hockey) - skip the garbage center focusing AF of the 6D and 5D2 and go with something that can actually AI servo. 5D3 is probably your best bet for checking off all of the boxes of needs that you want, just be sure you are OK with taking a fairly large hit in the value of the body over time and being OK with the better sensors that are sure to be coming down the pipeline in a few years. $3000 is a lot to spend for "the best" AF rather than making due. Hell, for the price of a 5D3 you could pick up a 5D2 for landscapes and a 1D3 for ice hockey and still have nearly $1000 left.

May 05, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #18 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Thanks Rebel & Lady. I'm not too fussed about 10mp as it's what I have now.

Thanks Kezeka, That would be a plan. I had toyed with 5d2 plus 7d, but the 1d3 sounds like it might be the better option!

Just have to hope there are a decent amount on B&S when I make it to the US or Canada later this year.

May 07, 2013 at 12:50 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #19 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

I love my 1dIII. It's a great choice in a camera. The autofocus options for sports (anything that moves, really) are what this camera was made for.

May 07, 2013 at 01:20 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #20 · Advice please - choosing best camera option

Thanks Jason. It's certainly on my radar now.

May 08, 2013 at 09:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password