Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

Looks like Canon just pulled a page from the printer manufacturer's playbook.

I just updated my 5DIII firmware and got the message "Communication with LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use of this battery?"

This is the first time I've EVER had a camera warn me about third party batteries. Looks like this is going to become a regular thing too. Every time I turned my camera off and turned it back on I had to hit "ok" to continue using my third party battery.

Very annoying.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:40 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

Haha, sorry to hear this, but I suspect this was one of the hidden contents of the firmware upgrade.....

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:48 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

Could be worse: having to confirm after each shot

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:51 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

I don't believe that it was a new "thing" from Canon. My already sold 1D IV showed that already at least a year ago.

Apr 30, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

The 6D has done this since it's introduction. It looks like canon was "kind" enough to give the 5DIII this wonderful "feature" as well. Canon should really focus their attention on producing batteries that are less expensive rather than displaying annoying messages when third party batteries are used. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the camera keeps a history of 3rd party battery use, and they could use this against you if the camera ever needs any warranty work.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:05 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

I'm pretty sure the high prices on Canon branded batteries are intentional. Name branded accessories are an enormous source of profit.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:10 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

The 5D2 has done this since release. Nothing new to see here.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:11 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

justruss wrote:

I owned a 5DII for nearly four years and used it with many third party batteries. I never saw this message.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

justruss wrote:

I think it depends on the battery. At the shop I work at, we had many customers who owned the 5DII or other cameras that use the LP-E6, then they bought the 6D. They had no problems with third party batteries in the 5DII, but he 6D gave the error and refused to show the percentage of the battery remaining. Canon has gone out of their way to do this. If the 5DIII gains this same "feature" with a firmware upgrade, it seems like a very passive aggressive move.

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:27 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

Not a problem if you don't use the counterfeit batteries...

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gvg45
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

With the new firmware are you able to see the percentage of the battery remaining?

Apr 30, 2013 at 02:42 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

gvg45 wrote:
With the new firmware are you able to see the percentage of the battery remaining?

I still see the percentage on mine. It just says unknown battery.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:03 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

Not a new thing and yes, Canon batteries are a bit high, but how often and how many batteries are you buying? That is not a major expenditure. Most people-even professionals will only need one extra per body so oh my, you have to spend an extra $60 or so when you buy a $3000 camera! They are trying to keep you from damaging your $3000 camera by saving $30 and buying an inferior battery that may mess up the camera. Most non-Canon batteries are probably fine, but then there are those that aren't.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:11 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

John nailed it, spend the few extra bucks and just get the canon. My aftermarket battery experience has been hit and miss anyway.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:18 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

molson wrote:
Not a problem if you don't use the counterfeit batteries...

In what definition of the word "counterfeit" dose it apply to 3rd party batteries? Do you even understand what the word means?

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:27 PM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

WAYCOOL wrote:
In what definition of the word "counterfeit" dose it apply to 3rd party batteries? Do you even understand what the word means?

According to Wikipedia one of the definitions...:

"To counterfeit means to imitate something. Counterfeit products are fake replicas of the real product. Counterfeit products are often produced with the intent to take advantage of the superior value of the imitated product. "

So yes I feel he has a grasp of what "counterfeit" means. These batteries are madee 99% of the time in China that scoffs at any trade rules or patent laws.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

Anyone experience damage from a 3rd party battery and have Canon refuse service?

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

JohnBrose wrote:
Not a new thing and yes, Canon batteries are a bit high, but how often and how many batteries are you buying? That is not a major expenditure. Most people-even professionals will only need one extra per body so oh my, you have to spend an extra $60 or so when you buy a $3000 camera! They are trying to keep you from damaging your $3000 camera by saving $30 and buying an inferior battery that may mess up the camera. Most non-Canon batteries are probably fine, but then there are those that aren't.

If you think Canon are doing it to look out for us, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

deepbluejh wrote:
Looks like Canon just pulled a page from the printer manufacturer's playbook.

I just updated my 5DIII firmware and got the message "Communication with LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use of this battery?"

This is the first time I've EVER had a camera warn me about third party batteries. Looks like this is going to become a regular thing too. Every time I turned my camera off and turned it back on I had to hit "ok" to continue using my third party battery.

Very annoying.

Does it prompt you when you wake it up from sleep too, or just when you turn it off and back on?

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:59 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon now warning us about third party batteries.

That is weird and annoying; my 5Dii did not give me that message, or at least not enough times that I remember it.

(But having said that, after having two of my LP-6 aftermarket batteries fail at the same time at a shoot I decided I would try overpaying for batteries and see how that goes.)

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password