Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Jonesy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

I sold a 50L on the boards around Jan 10th and just last week the buyer wrote me saying the mf is acting weird. I had never had a problem with the lens before I sold it or I would of had CPS fix. I would never sell a damaged lens!

So after almost 4 months in his possession he's saying Canon states theres a damaged manual focus mechanism and it's going to cost over $300 to fix.

I'm sorry but I am not willing to cover the costs of repairs after this long in his possession. It's a used lens and it's the chances we take when we buy used equipment.

Am I right?

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Jonesy wrote:
I sold a 50L on the boards around Jan 10th and just last week the buyer wrote me saying the mf is acting weird. I had never had a problem with the lens before I sold it or I would of had CPS fix. I would never sell a damaged lens!

So after almost 4 months in his possession he's saying Canon states theres a damaged manual focus mechanism and it's going to cost over $300 to fix.

I'm sorry but I am not willing to cover the costs of repairs after this long in his possession. It's a used lens
...Show more

Yeah, you are right.

If it works upon receipt and doesn't go bad in a couple days then you are in the clear. Sometimes stuff breaks and if you buy used there is no warranty.

It's the gamble for used, much lower price, but no guarantee it works for at least 12 months. 3-4 months later is crazy. Even big companies usually don't go over 3 months warranty! It's not like you are store just an individual owner and if we all had to expect to take back stuff for whatever reason months later I don't think any of us would sell to anything but camera stores. He shoulda bought a warranty.

Edited on Apr 29, 2013 at 02:00 AM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Totally agree with you. If it was a couple of days, then I might be inclined to help with the repair, but 3 months later, not a chance. If they wanted a warranty with their purchase, they should have bought new.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

I'm amazed the guy has the nerve to even ask. The reason we buy used is to save money over a new unit. Save for the mentally infirm, everybody understands the reason it costs less is because it is sold "as is" and the buyer assumes the extra risk in exchange for less money out of his pocket.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Talk about huevos! I've got 2 words for him AND they're not Happy Birthday

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:05 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Canon only gives 90-day warranties on their refurbs, 91st day you're on your own...yes you are right!

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:23 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #7 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Yea, have to agree with you here, if I bought second hand, I would expect to receive it in working order, and for any faults to arise within a week so that I could get it sorted as promptly as possible.

After a week, any failures could be seen as my mistreatment of the gear, or a failure not related to the quality of delivery packaging or the item itsself.

Expecting warranty on a used item bought privately, is just silly.

If I ever sell any of my gear, I plan to have it looked over by a pro-dealer who can verify working order of the gear before sale, perhaps even get them to commission the sale to save me headaches.

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:42 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #8 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Yeah, you're in the right.

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

I think you are right, you are not Costco to have 90 days return or whatever they offer. 3 days is enough to see if lens is good. I saw his ID and he got on my personal "do not sell" list

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:00 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Who's this idiot? They need a slap of reality on their face

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

You are in the clear on this one. It's the buyer's responsibility at this point.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:00 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Ethically, you're in the clear. However, if it is within 90 days of purchase and he used a credit card, he could very easily use the charge back feature and get every nickel he paid you back.

My opinion is, if you sold the lens, and he went over it, tested all of its functions and deemed it a keeper, then it is on them, not you.

If at any point you misrepresented a known fault, then it would be on you, but in this case it seems that the lens has an issue, and it isn't something that you did/knew about. It worked when you sold it, so it's like a used car, as is-where is.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:11 AM
mspencer1
• •
p.1 #13 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

You're definitely right in this case.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:14 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Jonesy wrote:

I'm sorry but I am not willing to cover the costs of repairs after this long in his possession. It's a used lens
...Show more

You are right. Why of course it sucks when a lens malfunctions and I can understand the buyer being upset, but it's just something we have to live with and 3 months is too long a time too pass for it to be your responsibility - there is no warranty on private used sales.

My 7D worked flawlessly for 3 years and then coincidentally with be loading the new FW, camera locked up and turns out it had a failed mirror box. Out of the blue, no warning signs.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:28 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #15 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

No. You owe him a new 50L lens.

Sorry, thread was so boring.
So credit card protection is available even if no retail merchant is involved?

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:33 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #16 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Jonesy wrote:
I sold a 50L on the boards around Jan 10th...

I might have shown some sympathy for your situation had you not made it a point to specifically "out" a fellow FM member-in-good-standing. Figuring out your "buyer" was not difficult. "I sold a lens several months ago..." would, in my book, have been both sufficient and appropriate to making your point, IMHO. At this point, however, it would only be fair to hear the other party's position on the matter. Or, better yet, ask Fred to delete this thread and start over.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:36 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Jonesy wrote:

jimmy462 wrote:
I might have shown some sympathy for your situation had you not made it a point to specifically "out" a fellow FM member-in-good-standing. Figuring out your "buyer" was not difficult. "I sold a lens several months ago..." would, in my book, have been both sufficient and appropriate to making your point, IMHO. At this point, however, it would only be fair to hear the other party's position on the matter. Or, better yet, ask Fred to delete this thread and start over.

Why does it matter where or how the lens was sold? It's been 3 months, regardless whether at was at a garage sale or here. The buyer is the unreasonable here, end of story. If you don't check out the goods for anything even resembling a reasonable time, too bad. Or worse, if the goods worked initially and then died, really not much to do here.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:46 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #18 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

stanj wrote:
Why does it matter where or how the lens was sold? It's been 3 months, regardless whether at was at a garage sale or here. The buyer is the unreasonable here, end of story. If you don't check out the goods for anything even resembling a reasonable time, too bad. Or worse, if the goods worked initially and then died, really not much to do here.

I hear what you're saying, but there are always two sides to every story. Nothing against the original poster. Just saying.

If the buyer indeed wanted to hold the original poster responsible for the lens after 3 months, that's just plain insane.

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:22 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

Jonesy wrote:

jimmy462 wrote:

stanj wrote:

Wahoowa wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but there are always two sides to every story. Nothing against the original poster. Just saying.

The fact that there may be two sides to the story doesn't change depending on where the sale occurs. Making the same post as the OP did would be ok if the sale had occurred at a flea market, but it stopped being ok once it turned out it happened here? That's the issue I'm having.

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:29 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · buyer wants me to pay for repairs after 3 months

It's best to specify a return period for defects, perhaps 5 days, so that there are no misunderstandings. 3+ months is ridiculous if there is no warranty stated.

EBH

Apr 29, 2013 at 04:35 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password