Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

Brad Barr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

So, this was not a good thing to discover, but my lab for proofs of 6yrs just closed its doors. They did 4x6's for 6cts a piece, and the colors were right......now to find a reliable replacement.

Need...roes or ftp ordering
proper color balancing and mtnc on their machines to ensure correct colors
dropship capable
realistic shipping fees....(i just did an order thru sams photo club...they charged me 16 bucks for one set of proofs...wtf??

Anyway, anyone have a good one they care to share thats less than 15cts a print for a 4x6?

Thanks
Brad

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 07:46 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:17 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

There are many from which to choose. WHCC and H&H are my favorites, and shipping is included with a minimum order of something like $12. WHCC ships via UPS, and H&H ships via FedEx. Turnaround is quick, and transit time is usually 2 business days to South Carolina. Both labs produce great results, but they're not 6 cents.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:37 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

Millers.
White House Custom Color.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #4 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

Guys...just a heads up. I'm looking for a lab that does more cost effective options for proofs. I love WHCC, Millers, Bay Photo, BRI, PRODPI...all are wonderful in their own way..but all are about the same cost on proofs. All are 3x or more what I've been paying. but they're not 6 cents.

I'm not a newbie...750+ weddings and counting. I teach this crap. Just looking for another of those little gems of info that pays off big. (The last lab I found on a tip on a forum just like this) 6cts was pretty hard to beat. I used to own a lab too, so I know what it takes to get em consistent.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:49 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

With all due respect, at 6 cents per print it sounds like there is a reason they went out of business. Have you considered switching to digital proofing, which is practically free in a per-image sense, assuming you shoot a lot?

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:03 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

TTLKurtis wrote:
6 cents per print it sounds like there is a reason they went out of business

That was my thought exactly. Just like cheap wedding photogs, six cents is probably not a business sustaining rate.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

If you want quality; Miller's.

I don't know of anything at 6 cents worth handing a client.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #8 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

They were in biz in NYC for 30+ years...I have no idea what their reasons were. (Dont care really..it wasnt any of my business how they ran theirs). There are plenty of options out there....just trying to find one that had a decent rep. These guys did a lot of wholesale processing for other labs...so their pricing was based on volume. Cant be the only one. It doesnt have to be 6 cts of course.....although it'd be nice . Multiplied by 40 weddings a year or so it adds up.

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 07:34 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #9 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

amonline wrote:
If you want quality; Miller's.

I don't know of anything at 6 cents worth handing a client.

See...that just means you hadnt found one. And millers is not any better/different than most of the other prominent labs out there...as I mentioned earlier. Even their MPIX division is 19cts. As a former lab owner, I can tell you there simply isnt enough difference in a 4x6 print to justify 3x the price. They all print on essentially the same machines...using the same papers...and chemistry. For proofs, I actually dont care if its kodaks lighter weight paper or endura....it just doesnt matter, as long as the quality on the other side was solid...which it was.

Sounds like some of you might want to do some research....... Order the same image...in 4x6 size.... from several different sources. Including the ones you are apparently scoffing at, and mix em up and then see if you can tell the difference. Might open a few eyes.....but hey, dont believe me....try it yourself

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:31 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

You're assuming an awful lot... about a lot of things.

And just for the record, I have ordered from every lab mentioned on the page so far. Miller's quality was by far the best. Anything I got close to 6 cents (8-12) from some not mentioned, were not worth the time and money. I would never hand them to a client.

No need for a rebuttal. I'm not out to prove anything, and I see no reason to explain why quality labs cost more... since you should obviously already know.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #11 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

I was assuming perhaps I could just get an answer to a simple question without all the pontification. But as usual w assumptions......

If anyone has a line on a decent lab w economical proof prices let me know. PM me if u dont want to make it public, as i see there is lots of judgments being strewn about here.

If not, great, thanks for your time. But spare me the holy'er than thou part.

Edited on Apr 28, 2013 at 09:44 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

Might be a good time to evaluate if physical proofing is even necessary anymore. 0 cents is way less than 6 cents

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #13 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

Thats what a great many photogs have already done. Abandon the printed proof all together.
I strongly believe in the printed proof. Just not in paying more than i need to to obtain them. Oddly, still providing printed proofs is begining to be one of those things that sets u apart from what all the newbs are doing as they simply dont want to pay for them.

Many of our clients comment how having the proofs makes it all seem more "real". And at that price it only cost me 35-45 bucks per event to provide that. Given i grnerally deliver 5-600 proofs per event.

Like i said, these guys delivered fine quality for the last sevrral years.

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:48 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

This isn't the suggestion you want but how about, I don't know, selling albums. Or giving them a nice box of small prints for the good stuff as opposed to the whole set.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #15 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

I find myself slightly amused at who is actually attempting to speak ex cathedra.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:20 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

I believe this reply by Kurtis needs to be revisited.

TTLKurtis wrote:
With all due respect, at 6 cents per print it sounds like there is a reason they went out of business. Have you considered switching to digital proofing, which is practically free in a per-image sense, assuming you shoot a lot?

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Brad Barr
• • •
p.1 #17 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

TTLKurtis wrote:
This isn't the suggestion you want but how about, I don't know, selling albums. Or giving them a nice box of small prints for the good stuff as opposed to the whole set.

What? We can sell albums?? Holy shit? Who knew??
Fricking genius.......how about just answering the question or have a great big glass of shut the hell up

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

Brad Barr wrote:
What? We can sell albums?? Holy shit? Who knew??
Fricking genius.......how about just answering the question or have a great big glass of shut the hell up

The answer is none of us know of any labs that make a business out of losing money on proof prints. I've provided a few alternative options to consider, I will now retire from this thread and have a tall glass of finely aged STFU on the rocks with my friend Haywood Jablome.

Apr 29, 2013 at 01:28 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

CVS

[/end thread]

Apr 29, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Need new proofing lab! Mine just closed its doors

It seems like many here have given some options as well as some alternative suggestions to the original question. I'm confused as to why every response you've made seems frustrated and confrontational towards those who have taken their time to reply? We're all just trying to help if we can.

Apr 29, 2013 at 03:46 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password