Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

jerkjone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

So I have decided that I am leaving the world (just sold my pro-gear) of heavy things. I have always been a hiker who isn't afraid to take 60-80lbs on a 5-12 day hike.

Now I am becoming a minimalist, however, I want to still take pictures and possibly some video on the go.

I figure where better to ask than my friends who perhaps may have found themselves in the same road at some point in time. I want a compact camera that will still satisfy my abilities. Something I can throw in a hard case and toss in my pack, well under one pound, a hand full of ounces would be better. Something I can get good quality scenic shots out of, decent video, and some good portrait shots and has a decent DOF and bokeh on the background.

I am currently looking at the CoolPix A. It seems to be a really advanced compact.

Anyone else have good suggestions?

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM
jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

Olympus OM-D with one or 2 small lenses (Panasonic 20 1.7 and Oly 45 .18 come to mind)

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

Most of my hiking friends just use their smartphones, if you want to decent DOF OM-D with the two lenses posted above as well as the 14mm f/2.5 (for wide scenic shots) is a good way to go.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

The Sony RX100 packs a lot of capability into a small package.

I'd take my Fujifilm X100, but a lot of people wouldn't want to be limited by its single, fixed focal length, of 35mm equivalent on FF.

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:48 AM
hudsonhites

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

The olympus EM-5 is a great camera for hiking especially if you want a DSLR experience in a smaller package.

I've been using the EM-5 for hiking and couldn't be happier. It performed flawlessly from hot sand beaches to the cold of the Arctic circle and everything in between

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:48 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

yeah that minimalist all right. Fujifilm X20

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:38 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

Depends on the quality you want. I have a Fuji X10 that delivers good quality at light weight, but is limited with respect to wide angles (for landscape use). Much as i like my X10, i would say the the Sony RX100 is probably the best compact on the market now though.

If you don't want to compromise so much on image quality, i find a Rebel with 10-22mm lens attached is a good combination of lightweight and image quality.

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:00 AM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

another vote for the sony RX100

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

all cameras have limitations. you can either work with them or be controlled by them. the rx100 may have some nifty things but all in all it is, too me, a greater compromise. it has more give and take between its features overall. the x10/20 is a better matching of components/features overall for its class of camera. a better balanced camera.

just the manual zoom alone makes it a design.

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:24 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

The manual zoom on the X10 is genius, and coupled with the solid construction makes the X10 a real joy to use. It has great tactility, which is missing in every other compact I've handled and makes it feel like a camera rather than a piece of plastic that takes pictures. For me also it is pretty much perfect as a compact.

But it has limitations. The EXR sensor modes need a PhD to understand, and if you are an Adobe user there is no benefit to shooting RAW as ACR just can't deal well with the files. In my testing I concluded that it is really a 6MP sensor too - side by side comparison of 12 and 6MP images showed more real detail in the 6MP file. That's fine for me, but from test shots I've seen the RX100 output is better, even if it is less satisfying a tool to use.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

For lightweight hiking, I've been very happy with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. I also quite liked its predecessor, the LX3. Have been unwilling to switch to the successor model, the LX7, because in ways that matter to me (such as sensor size), it represents a downgrade.

This series has a very good zoom lens, with 24mm equivalent at the wide end. For me, this is crucial in a hiking camera.

Cheers,

--Chris

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

If you're doing much video, the RX100 has manual control - you can set the shutter to 1/60 for 30p or 1/50 for 24p. The quality is fantastic. As a still camera the AF and metering work really well. Once you learn the menu system and dial in the custom settings (another great feature), the usability is quite good. Add a Franiec grip and extra battery, and you're all set.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

Just do what I do, take an 8x10 view camera with you.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

I love to hike and bike with a camera and keep things as light and compact as possible. Of course, I'm also serious about IQ. The tricky thing is finding the right ratio of portability, flexibility and IQ. For me, IQ figures high in the ratio, so my minimalist package is a 5D2/24-105 4L and Sirui CF monopod. Sometimes I add an EF 50 2.5 CM, table top tripod and fold up reflectors. What did I give up? I used to carry a CF tripod and tele zoom or big prime and a second body.

I tried hiking with a Canon S90 and Olympus E-P3 but ultimately felt the lower IQ and flexibility compromised IQ and quick operation too much (hated squinting at a LCD at arm's length). However, like my travels, I hike both to enjoy the environment and to find image opportunities. if you hike to hike and aren't so picky about IQ, fast operation and flexibility, you can get great snapshots from any upscale point 'n shoot or M4/3. The Panasonic GX1 is on closeout now for $250-275. Toss a pancake or small zoom on it and it will be the boss of most any point 'n shoot and have the added possibility of system expansion with EVF, tele zooms, etc.

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

Ben Horne wrote:
Just do what I do, take an 8x10 view camera with you.

On what planet is 8x10, a few lenses, flim holders, etc. ultralight?

EBH

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:10 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

EB-1 wrote:

The one where you only take one pack mule and not a whole train

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:16 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

My long distance hiking camera is a Sony NEX-7. Some of the smaller compacts are awfully nice, too.

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

See "Bizzaro Jerry".

Apr 28, 2013 at 02:35 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

I take a FF DSLR and 1-2 lenses, as of now it is the D600 and probably the new 18-35 and 85G. Last year it was a 5D with a 17-40 and 70-200 f/4IS. Image quality on the compact cameras is getting better all the time, but for where I go, I want to be able to crank out a huge print if every thing goes to plan and I think I found the best compromise for me.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ultralight Hiking! Camera suggestions!

like everything, your trips will be priority driven as will the gear you will use. me, I can get reasonable enough shots with a more compact camera while I'm out hiking with a pack for days. if your priority is the shooting then there is the other side of the discussion. which compromise are you willing to accept?

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password