Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

NFlux

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

So, I want to take portraits outdoors and be able to blot out the sun at high noon. I was initially looking at the PCB offerings, but after looking at the exif data on various photos floating around the web, it seems like they can only balance sunlight, not overpower it? Further, I have seen examples of photos taken with the Ranger RX at 1/800 and above when using PocketWizard hyper sync. This would open up a lot of fun possibilities for portraits; think children jumping around, skateboarders, etc.

So, am I insane for considering an Elinchrom Ranger RX kit w/ Mola Demi 22" BD as my first ever strobe kit?

Is there something cheaper out there that has oodles of power and can do hyper sync?

I currently have a 5D2 w/ PW MiniTT1 and FlexTT5.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:30 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #2 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

I do not think that the 5D2 can hypersync at 1/800.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:06 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

The Ranger is the gold standard for this type of thing. You can pay more for others like Profoto or Bron but you don't need to unless you need more than 1100 watts or extremely fast flash duration. Paired with the Mola or maybe Elinchrom's Maxilite reflector or 27" silver beauty dish the sun doesn't stand a chance. The beauty of the Ranger is also the EL-Skyport and with that much power and maybe 2 stop ND you shouldn't need Hypersync.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:14 AM
NFlux

p.1 #4 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
The Ranger is the gold standard for this type of thing. You can pay more for others like Profoto or Bron but you don't need to unless you need more than 1100 watts or extremely fast flash duration. Paired with the Mola or maybe Elinchrom's Maxilite reflector or 27" silver beauty dish the sun doesn't stand a chance. The beauty of the Ranger is also the EL-Skyport and with that much power and maybe 2 stop ND you shouldn't need Hypersync.

Thanks for the info. Let's say that I wanted to freeze a child jumping in midair. Wouldn't I need hyper sync for that?

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:32 AM
visualist

p.1 #5 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

I'm not sure if the deal is still valid, but since B&H is offering a Ranger-Kit below 2k$, anyone looking for a Bat-Pack who does not consider this deal should check his or hers sanity.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #6 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

Ranger would be a good option, I've got both the Ranger and the Mola BD.

My personal recommendation would be to not worry about chasing "hypersync" style shutter speeds and instead get the Ranger with the fast duration A head. Most strobe against sun shots have the sun as a backlight where the subject illumination is almost entirely strobe and only the edge of the subject is ambient light. In that case, the strobe flash duration is what freezes the subject, not the shutter speed. Most action photography is done this way (skate, snowsports, etc).

The Mola BD is great, but not the most portable modifier for location shooting. I'd recommend the 27" Baby Deep Octa instead. Collapses small and light, comes with a carrying case, is very flexible in use since it can be used with deflectors and/or in varying combinations of inner and outer diffusers. It makes awesome light too, and is cheaper than the Mola. It's also very efficient, maybe even more so than the Mola. It's also light enough that an assistant can easily boom it on a pole if needed.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #7 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

"Thanks for the info. Let's say that I wanted to freeze a child jumping in midair. Wouldn't I need hyper sync for that?"

Nope, you are confusing camera sync speed with flash duration. While it doesn't hurt to have a higher sync speed to help stop the action (especially when the ambient light is greater, like outdoor) it is the shorter flash duration that stops action. Remember your flash is controlling your exposure. This would be where the "A" heads for the Ranger series come into play. And since you get the shortest duration at the higher power settings, a Ranger with an A head outdoor is perfect. You will find that a lot of sports photographer use it for exactly this reason.

Oops I just read Sheldon's perfect explanation.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NFlux

p.1 #8 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

Thanks guys for the great advice, I really had an "ah-ha!" moment with regards to flash duration and motion blur.

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:05 AM
stupor

p.1 #9 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

You can not get hyper sync and short flash durations at the same time. For hyper sync you would want something with longer flash duration so that when correctly timed, the flash burst would last enough to cover the time when shutter curtains travel across the sensor plane. Otherwise the frame will get very uneven light from flash as the burst falls off quickly. I have seen people wanting to buy S heads for their Quadras here just because of this and they are quite difficult to get since every kit here comes with A heads.

The camera body also has great effect. Maximum available sync speed will tell a lot about its ability to hyper sync. For example 5D has quite lazy shutter and it will not hyper sync very well. So before investing a lot of money for lighting, it would be good to be able to test how well it works with your camera body.

In my opinion the benefits of hyper sync are marginal and it is very complicated to learn and adjust so that it will work reliably under pressure when shooting. I would rather take short flash duration. Ranger RX Speed AS with one A head or Ranger RX Speed for two a heads would be ideal. I prefer symmetrical output when using two heads on one pack if the ratio is not adjustable in asymmetric option.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM
NFlux

p.1 #10 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

So what's the point of hyper sync if it requires longer flash durations? If I want to shoot sports in the afternoon do I just have to get a Phase One?

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #11 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

You would either need a camera with a leaf shutter or a more powerful strobe, and very few shoot sports with a leaf shutter camera. You're stressing too much. A Ranger AS, A Head and the right modifier like a Maxilite reflector or their 10" Sports reflector is all you'll need. Yo can always use a big silver parabolic umbrella also but you shouldn't need too. This will give you plenty of power. Also the 5DII isn't the best sports body but with enough flash power you can overcome that.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM
johnvanr
• •
p.1 #12 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

If you're looking at EL Rangers, check out eBay. I picked up a kit with 3 batteries for $1100 a while back and added an A head for $350. All work like a dream.

May 02, 2013 at 02:18 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #13 · sanity check - Elinchrom Ranger RX?

I have some examples of shooting with the Ranger and a leaf shutter (Hasselblad) on my flickr, you can sort by my sets.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/symbolphotography/

May 02, 2013 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password