Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

truehuss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

Whats up. Yes, I know I am following Merkle,Hoffer, Anerino & Prezant with weddings but you know what...I dont care. lol. I think I did well with this wedding considering the issues like: she wanted a sunset ceremony (?!?) I convinced her to move it at least move it to 7:15 for some light. The timeline got pushed and we didnt have what I thought we would but whatever, thats the wedding biz. Let me know what ya think. What ya like, what ya hate. Participate

Til Later

29 I got photobombed! lol

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:36 PM
unravel
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

great work

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:25 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

This set is phenomenal. As good as anything I have seen on this board. I am amazed that you have mastered and surpassed this style so quickly and effortlessly. Maybe you should be the one giving workshops?

Edited on Apr 26, 2013 at 05:27 AM · View previous versions

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:48 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

Seriously dude?! You killed it! I'm shocked that you are a newbie. I think you are lying and you've shot 100 weddings

Some critique on a few...

#1 - the tilt on the ring shot throws me off. I'd level it out
#4 - awesome shot
#7 - shoot it lower. The negative space at the top doesn't add to the image
#15 - love the expression
#18 - again the tilt doesn't add to the image
#20 - tighten it up. The top, left and right of the image don't add anything to the image
#28 - cropped out the groom's feet. I do this all the time!
#34 & 35 - love these. Your PP is great throughout
#41 - awesome
#42 - love the expression
#43 - the bridesmaids don't look happy and one looks like she is scratching herself. Any better ones?
#44 - good angle. I'd clone out the thing going up the ladies butt
#51 - The best man's face is blown out. Maybe bring it down a bit
#56 - shooting with your OCF to your back causes bad shadows on everything. Keep it to your right, left or shoot into it

Very solid set overall! You are killing it. Your engagement sessions have been awesome and you carried it right over to weddings. Well done!

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

This looks fine to me, great tone, 19 is very good. I wouldn't be too worried about what everyone else is doing. It just doesn't matter.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

unravel -thanks.

martinezphoto- whats up bori. Thanks for the kind words bro, I need that sometimes. Its funny, I like my work I just dont love it...yet. I hope to love it, or at least it like it alot one day! lol Appreciate the check.

morby- I agree with everything you said after looking at it again except for 18. I was stuck in a spot to move up down, a little here or there. It was a very narrow room with 2 videographers, 2 photographers, 8 bridesmaids, ring bearers, flower girls, moms, grannies.. too many. I gotta control that better but I cant kick grannies & moms out. Maybe next time I'll anticipate better and be at a better spot for 'the shot'. Thanks for the critique though, your spot on.

BrianVirts - yeah its been a bad problem of mine comparing myself to these other great photographers. I really have to stop but I cant . I keep coming back to the statement 'if you want to be great, surround yourself with great people'. So the way I see it is, the more these guys make me feel 'unsatisfied', the more it pushes me to be better.

Thanks guys.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:34 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

Just wow, so many great shots, and you've captured some great expressions and angles!

Nice ring shot, good use of space in 9, love the expressions in 15, 19 and 24

The fence is a little too dominant in 40?

Great sihouettes in 41, agree with Morby that the expressions aren't the best in 43
I wonder if you can clean up the groom's skin a little in 50?

Overall very strong work, keep it up!

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

I started going through these to critique one by one and got to about #18. Then I realized my comments were pretty much the same for most. Essentially it came down to a few things that I would probably recommend...

- I'd omit any photos where there isn't a clear subject or action. I think this set of 63 would be MUCH stronger at about 30 or 35. There's quite a few photos here where you might have been in the right place, but there's really nothing visually interesting happening with the subject. I'd cull a little harder.

- Watch what you cut off (hands, limbs, fingers, ect...). There's quite a few in here where things were cut off in favor of negative space on the other side of the image. The compositions don't feel complete sometimes.

- Wait a little longer. Some of your best compositions here are hurt because of the expression of the subject. It seems like you got 90% of the way there then moved on. A little more patience would go a long way in taking it from a well-composed and processed image to a GREAT image.

- There's a number of images here where there's a bunch of wasted space. Images like #62. The middle 1/3 of that is a great image and the other 2/3rds are just wood floor. There's a few like that where I think the negative space hurts.

Anyway, those are some general thoughts. Sorry that they're all negative, but I read this today and I guess I'm just hoping this sticks with you ... http://www.jonacuff.com/blog/larry-david-the-3-problems-with-critics-math/

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

Liz Taylor!

Apr 26, 2013 at 03:30 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

scottam10 - thanks man. I guess I'll rethink 43. I also have never had to fix skin so I dont. I guess I should though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tony - Man, I love Larry David!! That was a good read and Soooo true. This is going to sound funny and its also not my personality to 'gush' over anything/anyone but I got a kick out the fact that YOU were checking out my pictures and I totally get what your saying (and because like Larry I am a neurotic person also and have analyzed your words a few times) . Whats annoying is you told me this and it was right before this wedding and I still did the same thing . It'll stick this time...promise!

Thanks for taking the time.

Robin Usagani - Yes, Lizz Taylor.Thanks for adding to this C&C with that wonderful critique .

lol just messin wit you dude.

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:25 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

truehuss wrote:
scottam10 - thanks man. I guess I'll rethink 43. I also have never had to fix skin so I dont. I guess I should though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tony - Man, I love Larry David!! That was a good read and Soooo true. This is going to sound funny and its also not my personality to 'gush' over anything/anyone but I got a kick out the fact that YOU were checking out my pictures and I totally get what your saying (and because like Larry I am a neurotic person also and have analyzed your words a few times)
...Show more

I used to be starstruck by Tony as well. Then I took HoffShop and realized that Amy takes all of the shots while Tony carries her gear and plays on his cell phone

Apr 26, 2013 at 04:25 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

morby wrote:
I used to be starstruck by Tony as well. Then I took HoffShop and realized that Amy takes all of the shots while Tony carries her gear and plays on his cell phone

and he sounds like cookie monster. lol

shooting my 3rd wedding of the year tomorrow & I will definitely try to implement all that negative commentary from the mean old Hoffmonster!

I will:

Not cut off anything that should be in the scene.
Wait a little longer
Not be so enamored with negative space. hopefully.

See you boys in a few days with another post!

Seriously though, thanks for all the crits guys. It is helping...in my mind. Now I gotta execute.

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Vancouver47
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

Sorry, but there are no flattering shots of the bride, or few else for that matter. This does not look like a happy wedding and a poor choice or photos to place here. Look at the guests in the background of most photos.

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:04 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

Vancouver47 wrote:
Sorry, but there are no flattering shots of the bride, or few else for that matter. This does not look like a happy wedding and a poor choice or photos to place here. Look at the guests in the background of most photos.

Good thing I didnt shoot for you

Thanks for looking.

P.S. They loved them.

Apr 28, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Brad Barr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2nd wedding of the year. C&C. Trying to warm up.

Overall, this is a very good set! Esp given your experience.
For this sort of post, seemed like too many images..my interest was waning half way through. (kinda what Tony said)

On the bw's. I know this is a personal taste sort of thing...but I like mine with more punch to them. And a definite black point. But that's just my preference.

On the whole negative space thing.....just like any other "technique". A little goes a long way, and it can be (and often is) overused. A few are powerful, but it gets old rather quickly.

As always....with critiques...take what you can use....dump what you choose not to use....and consider the source always! Ultimately, its YOU that you need to please first. Your clients will hire you for the way you shoot.....IF you are true to yourself and develop your own look.

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password