Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Do you carry around a back up? point&shoot/Mirrorless...

xopher

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you carry around a back up? point&shoot/Mirrorless/iphone?

For all you professional photographers out there, do you usually carry around a back up? (such as a point&shoot/mirrorless/iphone)?

I currently have a dilemma whether i should spend some cash on a decent back up or suck it up and use my iphone. Heres the funny part... I have attempted both of these routes and there's no clear answer (at least for me) because i usually end up whipping out the 5d3.

As for using an iphone, I quite enjoyed this while i was travelling in vegas earlier this year. I was at a somewhat restrictive convention show and they wouldn't let me shoot with my dslr unless i had a media pass. With my iphone being the only camera i had in my pocket, i used that with ease and grace along with some instagram filters to satisfy my needs. However, at certain instances, i did long for some manual controls and DOF....

In terms of point and shoot/mirrorless, I have the Nikon V1 with several lenses (10mm, 18.5mm), however, im kinda feeling this is a money trap and maybe i should swap it for a cheaper point and shoot alternative. I had originally purchased this with the intent of doing some discrete street photography, however, my style has changed to the point where it is not needed anymore. With technology constantly upgrading itself, i am considering selling this while its still worth something and get something decent (ie Sony RX100) before it depreciates to nothing. Yes, i know the sony will also depreciate, however, at its current price, it offers better performance and versatility in comparison to my Nikon at a comparable price.

I guess it has been hard for me to decided because my full frame 5d3 does everything so much better, however, i realized something like this restricts me from the few professional sporting events and concerts I'm planning on going to this year...

What your opinion on this?

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:05 PM
xopher

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you carry around a back up? point&shoot/Mirrorless/iphone?

Just thinking about it again... Point and shoot seems to win in terms of versatility, Mirrorless seems to win in terms of quality and iphone seems to win in terms of portability...

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:13 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you carry around a back up? point&shoot/Mirrorless/iphone?

I like the answer to your question.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:02 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you carry around a back up? point&shoot/Mirrorless/iphone?

I always shoot with a two camera system, so essentially I always have a backup. One has a wide angle and the other a telephoto. It would suck if one went down because I'd be switching lenses out in the backcountry often but it gets the job done.

I did just pick up a point and shoot- the Nikon AW100. For outdoor use it's pretty nice being that it's waterproof. Indoors it's pretty terrible so it's nothing I could really use in a pinch if something happened. But I plan to keep this point and shoot in my car glovebox at all times. The sunsets here can sometimes be insane and unexpected. I've often been caught driving around town without my equipment (and my phone takes horrid pictures). But with a point and shoot I should be able to do a decent job.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Sony RX100 and had I not needed my camera to be waterproof I would have gone that route.

Cheers,

Andy

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:46 PM
thelebaron

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you carry around a back up? point&shoot/Mirrorless/iphone?

are you worried about equipment failure or restrictions on usage? because the backups for either category would be completely different. if its failure, another canon dslr body, maybe a 5dc bought on the cheap would be appropriate. if restrictions, well it sounds like you've already got it sorted!

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password