Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

American Football on Death Bed?

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · American Football on Death Bed?

See the article in the Chicago Trib by John Kass...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-04-24/news/ct-met-kass-0424-20130424_1_future-football-players-nfl-draft-the-nfl

I had daughters, so I'm not that close to what's going on, or what parents are thinking, in the youth feeder programs.

Comments?

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Next39
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · American Football on Death Bed?

In my area, the youth football leagues and school ball programs are packed to capacity - there's absolutely no shortage of kids wanting to play. I do agree with his point that high school programs will begin to distance themselves from the liability and lawyers, I think that's inevitable. I can see the potential for the sport moving to independent youth leagues/clubs.

The game is not just a contact sport — it's a high-impact collision sport. It is about exploding into your opponent, refusing to break, while breaking others to your will and knocking them senseless. For young players on the field and old spectators remembering, there is still joy in it. But expressing that joy has become culturally taboo.

Expressing joy about the #1 sport in this country has become culturally taboo? Say what?

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #3 · American Football on Death Bed?

While I cannot disagree with everything that was said, that article seems more provocative than informative. Will change come to football? Or to any sport where head injuries are problematic? Almost certainly.

American football has a long way to go before it's on its deathbed.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Eric Mastilak
• •
p.1 #4 · American Football on Death Bed?

I love football, I watch it every year. I have two sons who I will never let play the sport.

Apr 25, 2013 at 02:58 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #5 · American Football on Death Bed?

My dad, my brother and I all played football through college. Injuries are a part of the sport. My brother had to sit out his senior year of college after his 6th concussion. He now suffers from from traumatic brain injury. His pituitary does not function properly and his body does not produce Human Growth Hormone. He's now on a daily HGH replacement therapy program. He's also participates in a study on brain injury. The study in funded in part by the NFL. He suffered from seizures, fatigue and weakness. It forced him to move to a more temperate climate as his condition was made worse by the Texas heat.

I suffer from chronic knee, ankle and shoulder pain. Some days it's almost unbearable. My dad had knee injuries and pain.

With all of that said, this is Texas and football is king. As earlier pointed out, there is no shortage of kids stepping up to play. And there is no shortage of parents that stand behind them. Football has a long way to go. That article is merely one man's opinion and I personally think that he is wrong.

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Eric Mastilak
• •
p.1 #6 · American Football on Death Bed?

LandPirate, I agree. I grew in Pittsburgh. Football is everything. While I will not let my boys play football I know there are many many people who feel very differently than I do. I think we may see schools adopt waivers for parents to sign against catastrophic injuries. But I think football is far from being dead.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:07 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #7 · American Football on Death Bed?

I don't think the sport will crash and burn as the author suggested. I do think that injuries, especially brain injuries, are becoming more of a focus and clearly there are families that will not let their children play due to this.

But, there are so many boys wanting to play football, that there won't be a shortage of players. Perhaps the overall skill level will decrease as some "good" players decide not to play and are replaced by "average" players. Perhaps that will be good for the sport too. I wonder sometimes if we have simply become more sensitive to the injuries (and are just beginning to understand the severity of brain trauma), or if the skill level of the players continues to increase so fast that it is in fact getting more dangerous to play? I think that slowing the growth of speed and athleticism will also slow the rate of brain injuries too as speed/power decreases.

In any case, there will still be more than enough kids playing in youth leagues to funnel into a high school program. There are still more than enough high school programs to funnel into college programs, and there are still more than enough college programs to funnel into the NFL.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:17 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #8 · American Football on Death Bed?

Interesting stuff, guys. Thanks.

Will be interesting to watch; however, down here in the piney woods of Jaw-ja, I can't imagine crisp fall Friday nights w/o football.

If it's a trend, it'll certainly be long and slow, IMHO.

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gschlact
• • •
p.1 #9 · American Football on Death Bed?

It seems the folks that have posted here have followed this much more closely than I have, but I too do not think I would let my son play with the risk of brain injury that can't be refuted.

Can I ask a question to those that might know, are most concussions helmet to helmet, or is it equally distributed helmet to ground or helmet to body? But I wonder out loud, why can we make safer helmets to better protect against brain injury via concussion? Why hasn't some material science been implemented to protect the shell from the blunt force trauma? Would some layer of rubber or dense gel encasing the helmet help reduce concussion? Just to break out some science, F=MA, and A=v/time. So if we lengthen the time to change from high to zero Velocity form near zero to some non-zero number, it would seem to lower A, and the F by orders of magnitude? Do we know why this hasn't been explored?

Guy

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:21 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #10 · American Football on Death Bed?

The more "safe" the equipment becomes, the more reckless the athlete wearing it. The helmet becomes a weapon, not a safety measure. I remember playing full-contact backyard football growing up, all the way through high school. Nobody got hurt until we suited up in our "safety" gear for real practice and games. Funny how your playing style drastically changes when you are more vulnerable.

That said, football isn't going anywhere.

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #11 · American Football on Death Bed?

Looks to be based more on anti football bias than fact. He didn't offer any statistics, are the numbers of new players down 2% or 99%?

He also did not offer anything new as far as the attitude of parents. It was the same way back in nineteen seventy something when I played. Lots of parents wouldn't let their kids play then either, for the same reasons, fear of injury.

The real experts in the future of the sport will probably disagree with the article.

Marty

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM
jayco

p.1 #12 · American Football on Death Bed?

As a European who recently moved to the US (2011) and who does not follow football or football-related news any more than other news, I have heard a lot of things recently about how dangerous playing is so while missing statistics and a bit premature I can see this article is based on facts.

However money will make quite a few people do anything and it will take a long time before people start looking at you weird if you let your kids play. There are still parents who sexualize their young daughters to win beauty pageants and pretty much anyone I know thinks it is the dumbest thing.

I know I will not let my son play contact football, but I found flag football to be a fun and much safer game, though not quite so spectacular. I remember reading an article recently about how americans tend to watch violent sports and cheer at violent outbursts (hockey fights, nascar crashes, football ...).

Apr 28, 2013 at 09:17 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #13 · American Football on Death Bed?

Which news story will make the cut, head injuries are up, or no one was hurt playing football this month? The latter isn't news. You won't hear good things. That doesn't mean it is without risk, but what is?

It isn't going away. Period.

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:12 AM
cbrenkus
• •
p.1 #14 · American Football on Death Bed?

Ridiculous..I mean really. Our football years were the best.

May 01, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · American Football on Death Bed?

I think it has a lot to do with the emasculation of our culture… Compare an eight year old boy of the 50’s with the eight year old of today…

Cowboys and Indians then… today the kid gets kicked out of school and has to go to “sensitivity training”…

Most every boy back then had a pocket knife that went everywhere, even to school… Today… call the cops and have them arrested… the eight year old… off to jail…

Conflict resolution… Then… we worked it out ourselves either on the playground… or after school… now… wimp lesions…

Self reliance… now a thing of the past, it now takes a village… Can you imagine a fight between a ten year old Palestinian boy and today’s youth with an identity crisis on even what sex he wants to be…

I think I’ll leave the subject alone for now before I have to go to” Anger Management” classes.

I think we as a Nation need to grow a set again…
IMHO

May 01, 2013 at 11:39 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #16 · American Football on Death Bed?

If anything kills football, it will be legal and financial issues.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8316657/nfl-teams-facing-large-bills-related-workers-compensation-claims-head-injuries

May 03, 2013 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password