Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

ENPPhotography

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

Hey guys I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem that just developed over the weekend.
I've attached a link so you can see an example of what I mean. The first picture is correct but the rest are all off... Instead of the background being blown out like normal it's creating a cartoon-like affect which is driving me crazy!
I shot 2 games this weekend and with each game it looks like the issue got progressively worse has anyone seen this before? Is it my camera or the lens? Any help is appreciated, Thanks

http://enpphotography.smugmug.com/Phillip-Deuce-Photography-Bio/Misc/29063009_rXfzDm#!i=2473184604&k=5HNBD5Q

Phil

Apr 23, 2013 at 07:08 PM
clarence3
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

backlighting (shadow in front of subject) and over saturation

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:07 PM
ENPPhotography

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

I went back and looked at the originals (before lightroom) and they all still have that cartoon/oil painting type of look. The saturation and lighting only made it more visible. I also looked back through some older stuff and in those the background was blown out correctly without issue.

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Next39
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

ENPPhotography wrote:
The first picture is correct but the rest are all off... Instead of the background being blown out like normal it's creating a cartoon-like affect which is driving me crazy!
Phil

The remaining 3 shots all have fencing or bleachers in the background. It looks to me like you're seeing artifacts in the bokeh from those straight lines/patterns. Change your shooting location so you don't have fencing in the background.

And I should add that it looks like the Clarity is cranked in the last shot judging by the halos in the shadow regions - boosting clarity multiplies the mechanical/artifact look in the bokeh.

Oh, and one last observation... I noticed that the bokeh balls right next to the head of the running back in the last shot has the chain link pattern within the hightlights. That tells me that there are two different chain link fences layered in the shot which just compounds the problem.

Apr 23, 2013 at 08:46 PM
ENPPhotography

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

So you think its more so my angles and/or something that i'm doing as opposed to there being an actual problem with the camera or lens?

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Next39
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

From the samples that you posted, Phil, it just looks like a background issue. If you're not sure, just do some shooting in your yard or at a park where you don't have fencing/bleachers in the background, and compare results.

Apr 23, 2013 at 09:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rdalrt
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

Kinda looks like an effect of heat haze to me.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

The subjects pop and look great...thats often all that matters. I'd also agree with the heat wave comments

Apr 25, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

My first reaction was "you're joking, right?" But I guess you're not.

Look at your backgrounds in the last two. There are fences in both. Those fences, combined with heat and maybe a bit of over-processing are the issues here. It's not the gear.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

It's caused by heat waves coming off the turf. Nothing you can do about it. Sometimes you will even get "dandelions" from specular highlights, which are really annoying. The effect will vanish as the sun gets lower in the sky and comes in at a more oblique angle.

It has nothing to do with your processing.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

You can try to shoot closer to the subjects, e.g., from the sidelines rather than from the end lines if you find it affecting your subjects. The closer you get to the subject, the fewer the heat waves between you and your subject. Unfortunately, that won't help the backgrounds. Shooting backlit, if possible, will also minimize it.

Don't worry about your equipment. It's not the problem.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:24 PM
John Korduner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why do my pictures look cartoon-like?

I agree they're over saturated, but that's personal preference. I'm curious about your post processing? These look like you've run a high pass/topaz/contrastmaster/etc. filter crossed with some sharpening. If you post a couple unprocessed pics we can probably troubleshoot your problem.

this one looks similar to yours

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password