New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Asus PA264Q?

Gyroscope
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Asus PA264Q?

I would love an eizo or Nec monitor but they are way to expensive when I need to buy 3 of them for a multi display arrangement (I use them for my day job in 3D cad architecture as well). The Asus seems really great value but the only thing that concerns me is reports that contrast is not great. Because i do a lot of black and white work I would like good contrast and deep blacks. Since I cant find anywhere locally to see one in action any comments from those that use this model?

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:35 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Asus PA264Q?

It's a great monitor since I own two of them. The real issue is not on the contrast side; rather, you may have to swap a few to get one that has evenly illuminated surface without any light bleeds. The other handicap is what you can achieve in calibration is also limited. If you run Windows 8, Asus hasn't released its Windows 8 drivers yet so you can't get accurate colors.

If you need to follow some professional reviews, here is a good one:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa246q.html#Introduction

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Asus PA264Q?

mshi wrote:
It's a great monitor since I own two of them. The real issue is not on the contrast side; rather, you may have to swap a few to get one that has evenly illuminated surface without any light bleeds. The other handicap is what you can achieve in calibration is also limited. If you run Windows 8, Asus hasn't released its Windows 8 drivers yet so you can't get accurate colors.

If you need to follow some professional reviews, here is a good one:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa246q.html#Introduction

By driver, do you mean the generic inf and icm files associated with the monitor? If so, you can extract those from the Win7 package and point your device manager to the inf file yourself. If you are going to calibrate and profile the monitor with a colorimeter why would you need those anyway and how would it limit the calibration? Does the monitor offer hardware profiling or do do the profiles have to be implemented via software (graphics card LUT)?

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:37 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Asus PA264Q?

aubsxc wrote:
By driver, do you mean the generic inf and icm files associated with the monitor? If so, you can extract those from the Win7 package and point your device manager to the inf file yourself. If you are going to calibrate and profile the monitor with a colorimeter why would you need those anyway and how would it limit the calibration? Does the monitor offer hardware profiling or do do the profiles have to be implemented via software (graphics card LUT)?

What I mean is the device driver, Windows 7 version doesn't work in my case. For calibration testing, read here:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa246q-part11.html#Profile

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:43 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Asus PA264Q?

mshi wrote:
What I mean is the device driver, Windows 7 version doesn't work in my case. For calibration testing, read here:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa246q-part11.html#Profile

The review indicated that individual RGB channels cannot be adjusted on the monitor hardware (I assujme without hacking into the service menu), and the reviewer had a hard time setting a low desired luminance value using just the brightness control. Which meant that the LUTs had to be tweaked more heavily during profiling which restricts the gamut the monitor can effectively display. What does this have to do with the device driver, or did I misunderstand something and the two are not connected? Isn't the monitor plug and play?

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:24 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Asus PA264Q?

Device driver is a separate issue for Windows 8 users. Sorry about the confusion.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Asus PA264Q?

Since my post I have been looking at the Dell U2713H monitors. They have a special on them, I could get away with two instead of three and you can get matching support arms for them. They look rather well made how would these compare to the ASUS?

In regards the color profiling - I would I guess use my Spyder to profile them only if I wasn't happy with the colours and how well they matched my prints. One of the key things though is to be able to get monitor brightness down. i use windows 7 and won't be upgrading anytime soon (no point).

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:34 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Asus PA264Q?

You won't be able to use your Spyder with Dell U2713H, according to the review.

Hardware calibration can only be performed with the X-Rite i1 Display Pro on Windows and is very limited in its target parameters. What's lacking are advanced settings, particularly when selecting the native color space. But the results are flawless and reveal the monitor's true potential.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2013/review-dell-u2713h-part15.html

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.