Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Profoto Pro B 4 continues to amaze

aztwang1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Profoto Pro B 4 continues to amaze

Typically shooting wide open @ 2.8 in studio, trying for a narrow DOF and a creamy bokeh can be challenging and most of the time unsuccesfull with most strobes. Some try ND filters but focusing is a challenge, extra diffusion material can help, and I've even heard of some people using window tint to cut down on strobe power with marginal success.
Moving the light back can help but then you loose the big light / soft light source on your subject.
Tonight I continued to experiment with the Profoto Pro B4. I took advantage of Profotos "Freeze mode" which allowed me to drop power to "1 watt second" ( flash duration was still at 1/11,000) Long story short, D3S with 85 1.4 G, shot wide open @ 1.4, 125th shutter speed at ISO 200, not 100, a Profoto 3x4 soft box set less than 2 feet from subjects head and I ended up with a perfectly exposed shot with beatifull soft light. This now adds another seamless dimension in the studio for me using strobes that I was only able to get with natural light outside of the studio. IMHO, The Pro B4 is another home run for Profoto.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:44 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Profoto Pro B 4 continues to amaze

Been waiting forever to use this GIF...haha.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:46 AM
aztwang1
• •
p.1 #3 · Profoto Pro B 4 continues to amaze

Nice! Lol....I'm out of the studio for the night. Will try to get an image up soon.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stuuke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Profoto Pro B 4 continues to amaze

I thought you were only allowed to shoot water with the B4.

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Dergiman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Profoto Pro B 4 continues to amaze

Glad you like the B4! I want one too but it is not exactly cheap.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:57 PM
aztwang1
• •
p.1 #6 · Profoto Pro B 4 continues to amaze

Dergiman wrote:
Glad you like the B4! I want one too but it is not exactly cheap.

Yes a bit on the spendy side..however some smart shopping, and good resale on my D4 pack and Acute/D4 heads and I think I had to auntie up just under $2K for the pak and 2 new Pro B Heads. I lost 2 channels but added D1's that I use on location with my Batpac in the studio so now I am 100% battery powered which is real nice.

Apr 24, 2013 at 06:41 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password