Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

Eco_3

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

Hi everyone, My name's Emmet, first time poster here. I've been shooting since early last year and just bought a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L from a member here. I put it to use last weekend at the Empire State Performance Rally in NY. Here are a few of my favorite shots:

IMG_2818.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2819.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2820.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2821.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2893.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2782.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2883.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2884.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2885.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2838.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2823.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2852.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2931.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2932.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

IMG_2892.jpg by Emmet O'Connell, on Flickr

The last one isn't the sharpest, and a few are rapid successions just to show how fast paced this racing is.

Edited on Apr 23, 2013 at 03:57 AM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:36 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

Great stuff Emmet and welcome to FM.

Some very daring/suicidal photographers in that mix........looks crazy dangerous to shoot.

Love the shots. My only advice would be not to post the soft ones as they detract from an otherwise awesome debut post.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:44 AM
vphan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

Great set Emmet. You got some great shots here. Welcome to the forum!

Vince

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:49 AM
Eco_3

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

lhryshko wrote:
Great stuff Emmet and welcome to FM.

Some very daring/suicidal photographers in that mix........looks crazy dangerous to shoot.

Love the shots. My only advice would be not to post the soft ones as they detract from an otherwise awesome debut post.

Thanks! I cleaned up the post a bit. In rally racing, they send out cars in order of who's fastest to avoid passing on narrow roads. It was exhilarating yet frustrating to see the first few sponsored cars soar through the air while I struggled to compose the shot-what do they say, the first 10,000 shots are your worst?

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

andyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

I'm thinking remote camera, or trust those drivers. Good images. Thanks for sharing. I bet it was a blast shooting these.

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:09 AM
Dan Grisez
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

Great shots! Nice to see the GC body Suby's in action.

Apr 26, 2013 at 05:58 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

I'm sure the pace is fast and furious. There are some nice shots in this group, but there are also so really poor shots.

The number one thing you have to do is be extremely hard on yourself when deciding which images are worthy and which ones are not. It is much better to have a couple really nice images, than it is to have 20 shots - but only 5 are really nice. No photographer is ever 100% on their shots, but the good photographers don't display their junk shots. You have to take your emotional connection to the shot out and judge the shot on the actual merits of the image (not what it could have been either).

For example, image #1 is really nice IMHO. But then you go and post three other shots that are totally worthless IMHO. The car is cut off in all of them and some are not sharp. You would be much better off only showing the first image. The other images shouldn't make it out of post processing because they don't reflect the quality of your work.

A lot of the other shots could use a much tighter crop. Not only does it bring the "action" closer, there are a lot of distracting elements (including bystanders) that could easily be cropped out of the image.

Just my two cents.

Apr 27, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Eco_3

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rally race airborne shots-How'd I do?

sic0048 wrote:
I'm sure the pace is fast and furious. There are some nice shots in this group, but there are also so really poor shots.

The number one thing you have to do is be extremely hard on yourself when deciding which images are worthy and which ones are not. It is much better to have a couple really nice images, than it is to have 20 shots - but only 5 are really nice. No photographer is ever 100% on their shots, but the good photographers don't display their junk shots. You have to take your emotional connection to the shot
...Show more

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'll go back and mess with the crop on a few to pull the action closer.

Apr 28, 2013 at 01:54 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password