Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · IPTC Metadata

Lunchb0x8
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IPTC Metadata

Before I start, some of the things I say on this post are going to get some people's feathers ruffled, so please, don't get too bent out of shape.

I was discussing my website and images with a producer/pro-photographer friend of mine, and showed him some of my gallery images that will be on my site, on showing him my watermark, his response; "Get rid of the watermark, it is a sign of an amateur, embed your details in the metadata so it follows even if someone crops your photo."

(That was the first bit likely to garner some negativity on here)

I use Aperture on my Mac (That is the second) purely because most of my shots, I aim to get it right in the camera, and any modification outside of what Aperture can do, I don't want to explore too much because I don't see the beauty in my shots if they need too much work in post.

What are your views on this?

Thanks for your time, and please don't get too angry at my friend and his statement.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IPTC Metadata

I watermark photos I post on the net, AND I embed my copyright notice in the metadata. The software you use is irrelevant here, you can embed a watermark using almost any editing software, and most can change the metadata at the same time.

I do not watermark photos for which someone has paid a licensing fee. I do still embed my copyright notice in the metadata. I never relinquish the copyright, nor do I do WFH.

<Chas>

Apr 22, 2013 at 03:14 AM
kylehess10
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IPTC Metadata

I do the same thing as Chas, watermarking & embedding my copyright in the metadata. I see nothing amateur about using a watermark. Some people look at it as a distraction, which will lead them to say that.
A few years ago I saw someone with an 8x10 print of one of my images that was taken off Flickr, and I've been using a watermark ever since. Even if you have your copyright in the metadata, it's not like it will show when someone makes a print.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IPTC Metadata

Both have their flaws though, I mean, for example, if I put up an image online, and my watermark is in the bottom right corner, all someone has to do is crop that out.

The only way to make cropping ruin the image is to have the watermark cover something important, which itself ruins the image.

With metadata, you are 100% right, all they have to do is print it and no more metadata.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IPTC Metadata

The only certain way to prevent image theft off a web site is to not put images up on a web site. You can choose to obstruct the image with a water mark to make it useless to a thief, making it worthless to you.

Everybody has to figure it out for themselves, how much risk to assume.

<Chas>

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IPTC Metadata

If someone can't see an image past the watermark they need their eyes checked and need to get over it. Everyone knows why it's there. Protect your work with metadata and whatever else you see fit.

Apr 23, 2013 at 01:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IPTC Metadata

Well, I may have some unpaid work coming my way, I know, unpaid is not as good as paid.

But, my employer (I work in IT) is asking for images for our website, I can get a list of locations and businesses in the area, photograph them, have them online, and own the rights, but I will give them unlimited licensing provided I am credited and they allow my IPTC metadata to be embedded in the images they use.

EDIT: Due to the website being theirs, they obviously won't want a whole heap of watermarking and my branding all over their site, so I am happy to give them licensing, provided I am credited.

Apr 23, 2013 at 05:12 AM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IPTC Metadata

Lunchb0x8 wrote:
...embed your details in the metadata so it follows even if someone crops your photo.

Do I understand correctly? Your friend said that if someone copies your image to a computer and crops it, the metadata is still intact? Errm ... that's not correct, I'm afraid. Open the original in Photoshop, do a "Select All", copy the image to the clipboard, close the original image and paste the clipboard content into a new image. Voila, metadata gone. Despite: there are plenty of other ways to erase metadata from a picture.

-Phil

Apr 23, 2013 at 02:58 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IPTC Metadata

PhilPDX wrote:
Do I understand correctly? Your friend said that if someone copies your image to a computer and crops it, the metadata is still intact? Errm ... that's not correct, I'm afraid. Open the original in Photoshop, do a "Select All", copy the image to the clipboard, close the original image and paste the clipboard content into a new image. Voila, metadata gone. Despite: there are plenty of other ways to erase metadata from a picture.

-Phil

I think what he means is if you open the photo in PS, use the crop tool to make it smaller and then save it, even with a new filename, the metadata will still be there.

But you are right in that there are myriad ways to remove the metadata, which is why I said the only way to prevent theft is to not post your photos.

But given that the OP's subject is business locations and buildings, who is likely to want to steal those photos? I don't think there's much risk of having photos stolen from a company website under those circumstances.

<Chas>

Apr 23, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IPTC Metadata

That is one of the jobs I may be doing.

I will be exploring other avenues down the line, but for now, my main strength is in landscapes, so that is what I am willing to present to my workplace for their use.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IPTC Metadata

Even in Photoshop, save for web remove metadatas ...
Sincerely, don't care about metadatas, only a few photographers know it exist, not a single one of your potential customers will know it exist, let alone will look into them.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:46 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · IPTC Metadata

Your copyright notice isn't there for the customer, it's there to protect you. Save for Web is just one way to remove the metadata. But if it's not there at all, you are giving away your photos.

<Chas>

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:28 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password