Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

CanonGuy4Life

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

Lookn to get a laptop in 3 wks, since opting for portability with laptop will 16GB RAM be suffice for a 2.8GHz i7 Processor MacBook Pro w/15" retina display. I plan on getting external 30" Dell or 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display for when at home editing images/video

Anyone using Apple MBP with an external Dell Ultrasharp monitor?

Thanks

Apr 21, 2013 at 02:58 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

well, 16G is the end-game since it's soldered in at the factory. Yea, unless you're doing god-knows what, 16G really will be enough.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:55 PM
CanonGuy4Life

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

K thnx

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

If it can be ordered with an SSD you should do so. I replaced the HD in my 8 GB mid 2010 MBP and it makes a major difference. I used the Intel 335 240GB which is a low current SSD. I see that Micron has a new SSD that is 960GB. I use an external USB drive for storage although the 240GB has plenty of working space for processing D800E files from a typical day/week outing. If you are processing large RAW files I would order the highest speed quad core available for the MBP.

In the long run it cheaper to order the max performance MBP from Apple rather then have to do upgrades later. Although for whatever reason Apple does not offer the max that can be had with updates. One of the reasons I would never buy another MBP which is cute but not a work horse. I use mine for email,Skype, and preliminary editing in the motel room. DXO runs nicely on it.

If you have the price and you want a laptop, take a look at a tricked out HP8760W Elitebook. Its a monster, its heavy, its FAST, it can be ordered with three SSDs, an Nvidia 5010M Quadro card and its a workhorse.

I haven't looked at the latest MBP but someone stated that the memory was soldered in. If so, Run like hell from that kind of a unit. A year from now you would regret a purchase like that.

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:45 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

The current MBP Retina has soldered in memory (although I understand that it's SSD is swappable) but the 'regular' form factor MBP (non-Retina) has more upgradeability/flexibility

Apr 22, 2013 at 04:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

I think a 27" monitor will look better for the same resolution as the 30" because of the higher pixel density. Mind you, neither will look great next to a retina screen with 220 ppi, except for their superior colour gamut.

16GB will be fine unless you are a heavy duty Ps user, in which case you don't really want a laptop. 16GB allows Ps to keep a chunk of RAM and leave some for the other software such as Lr. 8GB would be cutting it a bit fine.

New MBPs are due out in June or July, I think, and there is talk of refreshing the MBP line and cutting the prices. They might go all-retina. They might add more USB 3 ports or CD or whatever to the retina line. Who knows. Do you really need to buy now ?

I feel the single-SSD capability of the rMBP is a bit limiting. You may well need or want external storage even while mobile and that will tie up one of your two USB ports. OWC sell a suitable SSD and a compact USB 3 case for the original Apple one, which I believe is not quite as fast. If you have a USB modem in the other and you need to use a DVD drive then you'll run out of ports - especially if the external drive(s) need two ports for extra power.

This is of some concern for me because mine is portable for months at a time rather than for hours or days.

On the plus side, battery life is excellent - something like 8 hours instead of about 4 on the older models - and the computer runs much cooler, so it ought to never slow down due to over heating.

- Alan

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:23 AM
CanonGuy4Life

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

K thanks

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:13 AM
caribrob

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

I have the same machine:

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

It works very, very well (no delay) processing D300 files in LR, D800 files work fine as well but there is the occasional delay - does not bother me, but if you are a full time wedding pro it will. Again, this is only for large D800 files, I mention this because despite your name, you have listed D800E in you profile, granted 'tentatively' :-)

I am also considering either 2 of the monitors you list - 15" is too small for editing

On another note, besides editing, this is the best laptop I have ever owned.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
mutling

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any MacBook Pro Users?

I've got a MBP 15 2.5 i7 anti glare hi res screen and Thunderbolt 27 inch screen. Could not be happier.

May 04, 2013 at 06:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password