New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which speedlight grid?

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which speedlight grid?

It seems grids run the gamut in design and price from those that attach simply with a velcro strap, to those with a dedicated hard rubber or plastic mount.

Does it really make that much difference? Would I be as well off with the less expensive velcro attached grids?

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:01 AM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which speedlight grid?

I have the Rouge System as seen here....

http://www.expoimaging.com/product-overview.php?cat_id=13&keywords=_Rogue_FlashBenders

I don't use it too darn much. I don't know why, it just doesn't lend itself to 'ease of use' in outdoor situations. I have no reason for saying that. It's just the way it works out.

On another note.. This is pretty cool to experiment with to see if you'd need/use it. AI love doing projects like this on cold or rainy days.

http://diyphotography.net/how-build-gridspot-quaker-can

Apr 21, 2013 at 01:08 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which speedlight grid?

Thanks, John.

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which speedlight grid?

I've not used the velcro type. I have a Strobies grid that I really like when the situation calls for it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 04:14 PM
PhotoDes
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which speedlight grid?

Another DIY approach. I have made grids for my speedlights using plastic corrugated sign material. I cut strips to the width I want (1/2-inch, 3/4-inch, etc) and assemble them into a stack. The width then becomes the depth of the grid and with several different depths, I can get many different spot sizes. I use velcro to attach them to the flash.

http://www.la-tierra.net/abq8/temp/grid.jpg

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which speedlight grid?

Since a speedlight head is small and able to be zoomed and in my experience there's not much advantage in using a grid vs. just creating a snoot with aluminum foil or rolled up paper.

In addition to controlling the footprint of the light one of the things a grid does is cut down side spill and the lens flare it creates when lights are placed behind the subject. Below is an example:

http://super.nova.org/XP/Equipment/GridSB.jpg

I have low ceilings in my studio space and added a grid to my hairlight not to change the footprint (note the circle mask used to do that) but simply to cut down the flare. I got the idea to do that seeing TV lighting set-ups that use grids on boxes for the same reason.

I also have a set of four metal grids for my studio lights from 10-40° which are added to the standard 7" reflector. The advantage there is being able to keep the light away out of the shot, but be able to control the foot print. The way the metal grids for the studio lights control the pattern is by making the honeycomb cells smaller.

If you want to experiment with grids for the speedlight get a bunch of white soda straws. Bundle them into the dimensions of the flash head and wrap in foil. Experiment with various lengths. But if you compare with just using a double layer of foil the same lengths wrapped around the head as a snoot without the straws you'll find the footprint and oveall character of the light similar. Been there, done than

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:09 AM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which speedlight grid?

Thanks, Chuck. You're correct that I just need to control side spill.

Apr 22, 2013 at 08:55 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which speedlight grid?

I have a couple of Opteka Speedgrids. They're like 10 bucks on Amazon. They've served me well.

brad cook

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which speedlight grid?

Glad to hear that, Tex, cuz it's exactly what I ordered

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:32 PM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which speedlight grid?

i would recommend rogue or honl photo

May 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which speedlight grid?

Honl photo grids are the bomb, cant think of anything better, and the color gels are very easy to add either with or without the grids!

May 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.