Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

gtjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

I'm shooting crew for the first time tomorrow. Never been to a rowing event so I have very little knowledge of what to expect. They are HS seniors and these will be used for individual collages that will be presented at their banquet. I'd like one full boat shot - I'm told that most of them are in two different 8-man boats - and one tight individual shot of each senior. I have three other events as backup if I don't get this one right, but I'd like to hit the streets running if I can.

I welcome any advice or tips that'll steer me in the right direction (as long as it doesn't involve me spending money on more gear ... ).

My gear is likely to be either the 1d3 + 1.4 + 100-400 @f8 or the T2i + 100-400 @f5.6 for when they're out on the water.

Thanks!
Gary

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:42 PM
awacs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

As a former competitive racers (but before my time as a photog), when you take the full boat pic, try to grab it at the "catch." That's the exact moment that the oars enter the water. That's a visual moment of anticipation that even a non-rower will recognize.

GLWshoot. There's not a lot of variety in crew, except for faces expressing more and more pain as the race progresses. It's mostly about the intensity and the effort.

Aram

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:50 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #3 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

Thanks Aram. I'll use that tip ...

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:28 PM
MattRyan5

p.1 #4 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

I've shot a decent amount of my team when injured etc. For the most part I think you are pretty good equipment wise. You definitely want the telephoto for upclose shots. For the full boat pic I really like it when you are slightly behind the boat at an angle and can see everybody's face. the tip about the catch is a good thought too.

Apr 22, 2013 at 01:33 PM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #5 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

Thanks Matt. Having made the trek last Sunday, I came to the conclusion that I could use some more reach. I took the wife's t2i (1.6 crop & 18mp) and coupled it with the 300 2.8 + 1.4 tc and that seemed a great combination for getting crispy images with lots of detail. Unfortunately it's not the right body for the job in that it'll only take about 10 jpg's consecutively before running out of buffer. I'd love to put the hammer down on the 1d3 and just scan down the boat as it goes by, but the 1.3 crop with only a 10 mp sensor just doesn't get me close enough, especially if they're in the far lane. I tried the 100-400 with the 1.4x, but the image quality of that combo just wasn't what I'd hoped. A 7d is probably the right tool for the job ...

Good tip on the full boat shot. I tried several different shots and the best were when the boat was pretty well past me combined with the 'catch' as described by Aram.

I'm back at 'em again this Saturday for the League Championships, so hopefully my experience will get me some better quality shots ...

Gary

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dresser

p.1 #6 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

For what you're trying to get it would be better and much easier to shoot a practice where you can get in the coaching launch and get close to the boat. Rowing photography is all about access and getting as close to the action as possible and a race environment is not good for that for a variety of reasons. The schuylkill is a bad course to shoot on unless you can get in a launch. The cooper is better but the light can be awful there.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:00 AM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #7 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

dresser - I think they're at Cooper River in a few weeks - maybe I'll have a go at that one as well.

They don't wear the stripes during practice so it won't have the same effect as having them all in uniform.

Really, the Schuylkill seemed fine to me (not that I have anything to compare it to ...), I just need a bit more reach for what I'm putting together for them. I'll try to take some time tomorrow to post a few shots from Sunday and then maybe round two from this Saturday's league championship.

Gary

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:57 AM
gtjohnson
• • •
p.1 #8 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

Oh, one thing I learned (for any other newbs following this thread) is that a tripod is the support method of choice over the monopod. There's so much down time between boats from only one school that the monopod becomes cumbersome when not in use. I'll be toting the three-legger with me on Saturday for sure ...

Gary

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:01 AM
Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Crew ... anybody have words of wisdom for a rowing newb?

Knecht Cup on the Cooper River in NJ a couple weekends ago.

For actual race action, a 300 with a monopod works well if you are at a venue with good shore or bank access.

The 2013 Knecht Cup Regatta was held on Saturday, April 13, and Sunday, April 14, on the Cooper River in Cherry Hill, NJ. The regatta provided competition for nearly 70 schools from across the country.

NIKON D3S    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password