New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Portable Flash Lighting

kmorvant
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portable Flash Lighting

I have 2 Flash heads Canons 550EX and a 600EX-RT. I'm thinking about buying another 600EX-RT and Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter radio controller to trigger the 600s. Can I trigger the 550EX as a slave via optical in this configuration?
I appreciate your help!
Kelly

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Deanh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portable Flash Lighting

Nope.

See this post from Syl Arena:

http://pixsylated.com/blog/canon-speedlite-slave-set-up-600ex-rt-radio-slave/

2nd paragraph:

"Notice that I said radio OR optical. It is not possible to send instructions to a 600EX-RT via radio and then have it optically transmit those instructions to 500- and 400-series Speedlites. That would be radio AND optical. Pick one wireless mode OR the other. If you want to use a 600EX-RT with non-radio Speedlites, then the 600EX-RT must be in Optical Wireless."

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portable Flash Lighting

kmorvant wrote:
I have 2 Flash heads Canons 550EX and a 600EX-RT. I'm thinking about buying another 600EX-RT and Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter radio controller to trigger the 600s. Can I trigger the 550EX as a slave via optical in this configuration?

The 600EX-RT can operate via radio or optical wireless (but not both at the same time), but the ST-E3-RT is radio only and the 550EX is optical only.

The only way to use the 550EX with the ST-E3-RT would be to trigger it in Manual mode using an optical slave. It would then trigger off the flash from the 600EX-RTs.

The latter would have to be in Manual mode as well, because in ETTL mode there would be metering preflashes that would prematurely trip the 550EX. (There are "smart" optical triggers that can be set to ignore a certain number of preflashes, but I have little experience with them.)

Manual mode is a good way to work much of the time, though, and you could still control the 600EX-RTs remotely from the ST-E3-RT (including using the camera's flash control menus if it's a newer camera.)

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
kmorvant
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portable Flash Lighting

Thank you so much for the info guys!
Kelly

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:42 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.