Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · D7100 + Grip FPS

m.sommers00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7100 + Grip FPS

Does anyone know if the grip added to the D7100 will increase FPS? I'm having a heck of a time finding any information on this.

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:07 PM
canondoc
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7100 + Grip FPS

No.

Shooting in the extra crop mode will give you an extra FPS though - 7 instead of 6. Grip doesn't change anything.

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Trevorma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7100 + Grip FPS

I don't think it does.

The nikon website lists the FPS as 6, on the D700 used to say X FPS, or 8 FPS with optional MB-D10 and EN-EL4

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:20 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7100 + Grip FPS

I can confirm that it does not. Even if it did, the usefulness of an increased fps will be quite sufficiently negated by the abysmal buffer capacity. I love the body, but the 4 to 5 shot max bursts leave me with a sour taste in my mouth at times.

Sebastian

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7100 + Grip FPS

cebseb wrote:
I can confirm that it does not. Even if it did, the usefulness of an increased fps will be quite sufficiently negated by the abysmal buffer capacity. I love the body, but the 4 to 5 shot max bursts leave me with a sour taste in my mouth at times.

Sebastian

Wow, really? Only 5 shots burst? Not much point in that many fps with such a small buffer then.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:04 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7100 + Grip FPS

Thanks for the confirmation. Here's further hoping the D400 w/ grip comes to fruition.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:12 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7100 + Grip FPS

Crop mode + 12-bit Compressed will get you about a 14 shot buffer. And if you use a fast card, the buffer regenerates almost instantly.

Apr 17, 2013 at 09:31 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7100 + Grip FPS

I find it strange that so many people seem to 'need' a massive buffer capacity. The D7100 will shoot 6 frames at 6fps before it slows down, and from there on will maintain an overall average of about 2fps with the right card in 14 bit lossless. Increasing compression and going to crop mode gives a whopping buffer depth at 6fps and at 4fps in CL mode, you just can't run out of buffer, period.

The D7100's AF system is incredible - initial lock is lightning fast and AF tracking is superb, even in lousy light. With half decent technique, I really can't see the need for a machine gun frame rate and endless buffer.

Concentration, anticipation and technique will always win the day over 'spray and pray'.....

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7100 + Grip FPS

gfinlayson wrote:
Concentration, anticipation and technique will always win the day over 'spray and pray'.....

it calls "sniper shot"

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Kent_Photo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7100 + Grip FPS

From what I have read if you shoot jpegs, buffer depth is around 100.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7100 + Grip FPS

What I'd like a higher FPS system for is for BIF and wildlife in general. Especially for BIF at a distance with the lenses I currently have, more frames means a higher chance of it nailing the focus (where I have to crop aggressively) and also wing position.

And other times it's purely circumstance. For example, I took this photo with my D300s + 70-300mm while in a kayak. This was the only time we had during that expedition that we were on the water and saw a pod surfacing of this size. Needless to say, I was machine gunning the crap out of this scene We also saw other wildlife and while in a kayak, it was admittedly a bit of spray and pray.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54199117@N03/8659119843/

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:49 AM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7100 + Grip FPS

From memory, The D300s shoots 7 or 8 fps, but only in 12 bit. If you go up to 14 bit, it slows to 3 fps.

My d7100 when set to 12 bit compressed, shows r08 in the display, but with a Sandisk 95MB/s UHS-1 card, it fires off 11 frames at 6fps before slowing. Even then, the buffer flushes back to full capacity within 3 seconds.

When cropped down to 1.3x mode (14.2MP) it'll shoot 28 frames at 6fps before slow down, and again the buffer flushes completely within 3 seconds.

Coupled with the new AF system, I seriously doubt you'll get better performance from a DX body.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7100 + Grip FPS

Kent_Photo wrote:
From what I have read if you shoot jpegs, buffer depth is around 100.

Good Grief. Your not recommending we try and shoot SOOC jpegs like Trench Monkey does

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:42 AM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D7100 + Grip FPS

gfinlayson wrote:
From memory, The D300s shoots 7 or 8 fps, but only in 12 bit. If you go up to 14 bit, it slows to 3 fps.

My d7100 when set to 12 bit compressed, shows r08 in the display, but with a Sandisk 95MB/s UHS-1 card, it fires off 11 frames at 6fps before slowing. Even then, the buffer flushes back to full capacity within 3 seconds.

When cropped down to 1.3x mode (14.2MP) it'll shoot 28 frames at 6fps before slow down, and again the buffer flushes completely within 3 seconds.

Coupled with the new AF system, I seriously doubt you'll get
...Show more

Thanks for the information. I also enjoyed the photos on your website.

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:23 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D7100 + Grip FPS

m.sommers00 wrote:
And other times it's purely circumstance. For example, I took this photo with my D300s + 70-300mm while in a kayak. This was the only time we had during that expedition that we were on the water and saw a pod surfacing of this size. Needless to say, I was machine gunning the crap out of this scene We also saw other wildlife and while in a kayak, it was admittedly a bit of spray and pray.

I guess the question is, would 3 FPS (which the D7100 can sustain with higher speed cards) really have resulted in not getting that shot? Or shooting half a dozen frames in rapid succession and then pausing to assess the scene and determine when the next best time to shoot a burst will be?

I'll be honest, I had reservations about the D7100 buffer depth but as I use it, I realize that the precious few times I utilized the deeper buffer depth of the D300, I was just taking more shots that I was going to have to delete later, my keeper rate wasn't going up. Now, I'm not saying that a smaller buffer is a "feature" - just that I think it's fairly uncommon for a sustained 3 FPS or a rapid 6-8 frame burst at 6 FPS to not be sufficient. There are some uses, of course, I just think most people (like myself) worry about that spec without a good reason.

Anyway. I posted the waveform of the D7100 shutter in a few modes here if you'd like to see what the FPS actually works out to when the buffer gets filled:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197136/0

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
rosella

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D7100 + Grip FPS

Got mine today. Tested it quickly on jpeg fine/large, got 14 shots before it paused for about 4 seconds. NEF considerably slower obviously. Coming from a D300s yes it will take some getting used to, even though I'd stopped machine gunning a while back.. it's still nice to have it when you need it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D7100 + Grip FPS

While I agree that nearly all the time nearly all of us simply don't need the ability to shoot a 4 second continuous high speed burst, followed nearly immediately by another set.............that's what the D4 is for and why professionals have them.

The rest of us, including me when I am shooting canine agility competitions, just have to figure out work-arounds. Discovering that the D7100 is focusing faster and tracking faster....giving me a couple more "good" shots per burst than I was getting with my D300 or my D700.....has been a significant improvement in my shooting, despite the small buffer size. Just had to begin adjusting my shooting technique to take the improvement into account.

Gene

Apr 18, 2013 at 03:24 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D7100 + Grip FPS

m.sommers00 wrote:
Thanks for the information. I also enjoyed the photos on your website.

Thanks. Those were all shot with my D7000. Hopefully there will be many more once I get fully settled with the D7100

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:40 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D7100 + Grip FPS

gfinlayson wrote:
I find it strange that so many people seem to 'need' a massive buffer capacity. The D7100 will shoot 6 frames at 6fps before it slows down, and from there on will maintain an overall average of about 2fps with the right card in 14 bit lossless. Increasing compression and going to crop mode gives a whopping buffer depth at 6fps and at 4fps in CL mode, you just can't run out of buffer, period.

The D7100's AF system is incredible - initial lock is lightning fast and AF tracking is superb, even in lousy light. With half decent technique, I
...Show more

I absolutely agree and I come from the same mindset, but for some applications where things are wholly unpredictable and clairvoyance has yet to be attained by the shooter, the pray and spray technique will triumph more often that not.

I absolutely love the D7100 and I personally think it is way more camera than the price reflects. I just think giving the camera a buffer capacity that yields less throughput than its fps potential is just silly. It's almost like they want to give d300s users a reason to second guess their inevitable purchase.

Then again, I am quite new to the Nikon camp and this way of doing things might just be par for the course.

Sebastian

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:49 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D7100 + Grip FPS

cebseb wrote:
I absolutely agree and I come from the same mindset, but for some applications where things are wholly unpredictable and clairvoyance has yet to be attained by the shooter, the pray and spray technique will triumph more often that not.

I absolutely love the D7100 and I personally think it is way more camera than the price reflects. I just think giving the camera a buffer capacity that yields less throughput than its fps potential is just silly. It's almost like they want to give d300s users a reason to second guess their inevitable purchase.

Then again, I am quite new
...Show more

I know a lot of people would like to see a deeper buffer and a faster frame rate in the D7100, but given that the file sizes have gone up from 16.2MP to 24MP, the performance isn't too shabby compared to the D7000. If we compare it to the D300s, which was a 12MP camera, it would only do 3fps in 14 bit. The D7100 is 24MP and will shoot 6fps for 8 to 10 frames in 14 bit with a fast card before slowing to around 3 fps. It's pushing a lot more data than the D300s.

Even the mighty D4, which is a 16MP body runs out of steam after 20 frames, and then needs 10 seconds to clear its buffer.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password