Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between ...

John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows & OSX

Can anyone comment on their experience of sharing external hard drive containing their LR catalogs and images between Windows & Mac OS systems? In particular, have you any advice regarding what formatting scheme is best used for external drives that one plans to mount on both Windows and Mac systems?

I've been advised by Other World Computing, the supplier of the external enclosures we use, that formatting the drive with an ExFAT scheme is the best choice when mounting in both Windows and OSX environments. My very limited knowledge is that FAT32 formatting limits files sizes, to something like 2GB, and that this alone might make FAT32 an unlikely formatting choice. I have no knowledge of the ExFAT system and what its limitations might be.

Our goal is to mount external drives, via USB 2 or USB 3 connection, in both Windows Vista and OSX.

Many thanks,

John Caldwell

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows & OSX

Then use NTFS and spend $20 on paragon-software.com their NTFS for OSX driver. That allows read and write to the volume from OSX. There is a free open-source version of the driver too but it's reportedly less reliable.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows & OSX

Hi John,
This is what you may be looking for:

NTFS on Mac OS X
This leads to issues for Mac users, especially when they dual-boot with Boot Camp or buy external hard disk drives. As mentioned, all versions of Mac OS X since 10.3 “Panther” have included read-only NTFS support, but those wanting full access had two options:
Paragon Software’s NTFS for Mac OS X is a full and supported read/write solution. Although available for purchase separately, many hard disk drives like the Seagate GoFlex now include a free copy of Paragon NTFS.
The open source NTFS-3G driver has also been ported to Mac OS X, allowing read/write support for free.
Mac OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard” adds a third alternative: Native read/write support for NTFS. But it’s not as simple as that. Although early betas enabled read/write support by default, it was limited once again to read-only in the final releases.
It is possible and even simple) to enable read/write support with the native Snow Leopard drivers, but this is definitely an “at your own risk” proposition. Users have reported kernel panics when using these methods, and although I have not heard of data corruption, it is possible as well.

http://blog.fosketts.net/2010/11/29/write-windows-ntfs-drive-mac-os-106-snow-leopard/

and this one

http://digitalunion.osu.edu/2012/08/07/exfat-formatting-your-flash-drive-for-both-pc-and-mac/

What is exFAT?
ExFAT is a file system for your flash drive that’s compatible for both PC and Mac. ExFAT is supported by the following operating systems:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.5 or greater)
OS X Lion
Windows XP SP2 or later (with an additional update for exFAT support)
Windows Vista SP1 or later
Windows 7
Disadvantages: As a relatively newer file system format, exFAT isn’t supported in older versions of Mac OS X (anything prior to 10.6.5) or anything older than Windows XP SP2. If you won’t be dealing with older Macs or PCs, this may not be a problem. Of greater issue is that most consumer electronics (cameras, camcorders, video game systems) don’t support exFAT, either. If you need to transfer files between your Mac and one of these non-PC devices, you’re almost certainly going to have to format your flash drive in FAT32 instead (via TUAW).

and if you decide to use NTFS:

http://techbytesxpress.com/2012/03/13/ntfs-on-os-x-lion-10-7-solved/

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #4 · Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows & OSX

Thank you both. Sunny do you feel we'll be reliable using ExFAT provided we stay within new OSX systems, such as 10.7 and beyond - and Windows Vista?

You mention possible problems with other consumer devices in the ExFAT instance: My collaborator will be transferring (importing) image files from CF and SD cards into her Lightroom catalog. The catalog, and image file destination, would be the external drive - the formatting of that drive is what I'm asking about here. So it is reasonable to be concerned of an incompatibility between a consumer device, like an SD card reader, and an ExFAT-formatted drive? The card reader would not be attached to the external drive, of course, but there does need to be a handshake between the drive and card reader.

Given that LR catalogs and Previews files will easily exceed 2GB in size, do you expect that to pose a problem with ExFAT-formatted drives?

Many thanks for your expertise.

John Caldwell

John-

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ifxbonz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows & OSX

I have an windows desktop platform with an external 6tb Drobo formatted NTFS for all my main file storage and I use a macbook pro laptop to be portable I keep my catalogs on there respective machines and my files from the laptop are placed on a formatted Thundebolt 1TB drive formatted to ExFAT that I use to move files from my mac to my Drobo system.
as long as you don't get into very large files or large videos you need to move you should be OK, That is why I keep the LR catalogs on there respective machines and my photo files are on the 1tb thunderbolt drive and are easily transferred to the Drobo/Windows platform via USB3 where I do most of my editing.

FYI Buffalo makes a 1TB drive with Thunderbolt and USB3 connections.

Andy

Apr 30, 2013 at 03:57 AM
CAlbertson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows & OSX

John Caldwell wrote:
Thank you both. Sunny do you feel we'll be reliable using ExFAT provided we stay within new OSX systems, such as 10.7 and beyond - and Windows Vista?....-

I woud not trust a FAT file system. The best is a Journaled Mac file system but second best is the NTFS. What the modern files system don't get corrupted so easy. The Mac's can even survive a power failure while writing.

All that said the best why to handle this is with a NAS. Then yu don't h=care what the file system is because the computer only sees the network. I'm using ZFS on a FreeNAS system

But the simpler and cheaper solution that works is to buy NTFS for the Mac.

Apr 30, 2013 at 04:05 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · Drive Formatting: Moving LR Catalog & Assets Between Windows & OSX

Thank you all. We elected to go with NTFS, and cross the bridge of getting NTFS to mount on a Mac with a 3rd party software.

Thank you,

John Caldwell

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:29 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password