Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

pokemanyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles?

Anyone using them? A pair for $100 locally here.

Apr 15, 2013 at 02:48 PM
smcdmc
• • •
p.1 #2 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

I had them with the bracket to hold 3 rolls of seamless (or whatever you wanted to hang). They are great if you have room to set it up and leave it, or at least not have to move it often. They were not very convenient to set up and take down on a regular basis. If you have a room where you can set them up and leave them then go for it. Overall quality was good.

Shane

Apr 15, 2013 at 03:15 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

Best thing since sliced bread :-) , fool proof mechanism. When used on delicate surfaces there are silicon foot covers available at US$ 4.

Apr 15, 2013 at 03:20 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #4 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

Indispensable.

Get the leg packs for them and they're self standing.

Add the extension kit and they're even higher.

Ideal to clamp walls to to keep them standing on sets.

Apr 15, 2013 at 03:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

Thanks all for chiming in with your opinions.

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:06 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #6 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

smcdmc wrote:
I had them with the bracket to hold 3 rolls of seamless (or whatever you wanted to hang). They are great if you have room to set it up and leave it, or at least not have to move it often. They were not very convenient to set up and take down on a regular basis. If you have a room where you can set them up and leave them then go for it. Overall quality was good.

Ditto. Very stable, not nearly as portable as they make them out to be. Caveats:
- They come with plastic chains to raise or lower the backgrounds. IMO the optional metal chains are well worth the investment if you're using canvas or other cloth. For paper, the included chains are adequate.
- Affixing the chains is NOT intuitive. I had them wrong-side-out for several days and cursed them every time they snapped or came off the track. Only after reading the owner's manual (I know, I know) and reattaching them right side in did I discover they really do what they're supposed to do.
- Getting the chain tension right so the backgrounds move smoothly but stay where you want them takes a little patience, something many of us could use a bit more of. YMMV

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Tom Robinson

p.1 #7 · Any opinions on Manfrotto Auto Poles

I use them on location all the time. Have the legs on them. Set-up 3 with crosspoles to get 20ft wide background. No sag. Never worry about them toppling over onto clients. Very solid and light to move. Bulletproof.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password