Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

I rarely take photos of whole flowers. Pretty or not they just seem too commonplace. So which is better the artsy fartsy processing or regular? Just for fun I included a third image in my more usual style. Any and all suggestions and comments are appreciated.
Jim

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

I prefer #3, as far as your question, depends on the targeted audience - each has its pluses.

I'm gradually learning photographic images are not necessarily a one-size-fits-all model.

Regards,

Bob

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

I really like it your artsy-fartsy version better than the original. As you said, full-on florals can be rather commonplace. Your last image is quite beautiful, and certainly shows why macro flower shots shine!

Jo

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:58 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

The problem with the first, for me, is the subject is the processing rather than the image. It makes me wonder what subject given similar processing would make a strong image about the subject where the processing just makes the subject stronger rather than displacing it. The second is, as noted, just another flower shot. The third is stronger because at that closeness, it becomes an abstraction of "flower".

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

AuntiPode wrote:
....... It makes me wonder what subject given similar processing would make a strong image about the subject where the processing just makes the subject stronger rather than displacing it..... .

I always appreciate your input. Typically I learn a lot. This time I need to think about this a bit. My head is still spinning.

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:31 PM
friscoron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

I totally dig the first one exactly as it is. It's very artsy fartsy to me, and I like that! Second and third ones are a bit dark for me with the idea of them being artsy. That's just me.

Apr 16, 2013 at 05:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

Third works best for me
First is artsy but a bit too illustrated for my taste. And that's all it is, my taste. Well-processed and presented.
Second has an interesting, odd depth to it, accentuated by the emerging stems and flowers on the right.
Third is engagingly abstract play on light and shape, evocative of non-flower subjects. A winner in my eye.

Scott

Edited on Apr 17, 2013 at 07:32 AM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

+1 @ Scott

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #9 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

Of the top two, I prefer the original. The edited one makes me think of the Alien Skin Photoshop filters from the mid-nineties.

For me, the third is the most compelling.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:26 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #10 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

Thanks for the comments. As I stated originally, #3 has become my typical style for flower photography. In fact it seems I rarely take a flower or other botanical image without the macro lens. I thought the composition and lighting of the second image was interesting and at least I was able to capture the whole flower for a change. The first image was an accident. I was processing and had selected the background to facilitate some additional burning. By mistake I selected inverse and inverted the colors.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
j-photo

p.1 #11 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

The third image is my favorite. It's just abstract enough to encourage me to explore the image a bit.

In the second image, the flower itself isn't rendered all that beautifully. I'm no good at shooting flowers, so I don't know how to me more specific about what that means. But there isn't that much detail and the color seems a bit washed out. The composition isn't as interesting as the third image. The elements surrounding the flower, especially the two in the foreground to the right, are distracting.

I like the colors in the first. In terms of this kind of color manipulation, you might find this interesting: www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225629157508500&set=pb.100001842524657.-2207520000.1366213538.&type=3&theater

Lastly, personally, I don't like the term artsy fartsy. If that's the attitude someone brings to an image, whether taking it or reviewing it, it suggests to me think they are not taking it seriously. It's a term I think some use to criticize work they can't relate to. No offense to you, just my personal issue!

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:53 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #12 · Artsy fartsy or regular?

j-photo, thanks for your comments. It is interesting that you point out a lack of detail in the flowers. This is one of the major issues I find when I shoot closeup/macros of flowers. There often just is not much detail. Even for whole flowers, the details on the pedals are often minimal. For the first two images, I cranked up the the photoshop contrast and clarity settings. I then used Topaz spicify at about 20% opacity. The details on the yellow flower were even worse. There wasn't even anything to "spicify". I used the dodge and burn tools to create most of the structure you see in the yellow of the flower. That included the little ripples at 6 o'clock and the dark and light rays.

So even the last image falls into the artsy fartsy category; i.e., it took a lot of effort and manipulation to add some aesthetic interest.

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password